Moonraker Shuttle Model -- Finished!

Show it here if it's in one of the scales used in the production, or one you're assuming was used (since that info seems to be uncertain).

If you're building at a scale you know was NOT used, then that would go in General.

Just thought I would mention that there was a 1/100 scale model of the Monnraker with tank and boosters on the tractor.

I have one in a box somewhere unfinished. :unsure

I also have one of the 1/72 Columbia's as well.

D6

Originally posted by paulcarson@Jan 7 2006, 08:04 PM
I'd show it here. I'm sure that I have some photographs from a Bond exhibition in Glasgow about 6 years ago. I'll try to find them and scan them  for you. They were taken from various angles as I too was going to attempt a shuttle in the 1/72 scale.

Good luck.
[snapback]1153283[/snapback]​

That would be totally awesome if you could find more pics.

For those who haven't seen a 1/72 shuttle kit, here's a shot to put it into perspective...

One can see why you might think its studio scale -- its pretty damn big. Bear in mind I am 6'5" (and ugly all day.).

That 1/72 is a good size. Should make for a nice replica. :)

Reminds me... I wish a decent replica of the X-71 "Armageddon" shuttle had been done...

armashuttle.jpg

Only good thing in that movie, IMHO. :lol

- K

SERIOUS disappointment...

This whole project was predicated on a set of decals I picked up years ago that I THOUGHT were 1/72 scale.

As it turns out, the decals are closer to 1/144... :angry

I'm not TOO distressed as 95% of the markings can be masked amnd painted on. Or I can run the set on my scanner at a high DPI and double it in size. But I CAN'T print on decal paper...

Other suggestions? Ideas?

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 2 2006, 12:11 PM
I can run the set on my scanner at a high DPI and double it in size.  But I CAN'T print on decal paper...
I mentioned this in your other thread, but if you can provide a file and decal paper, couldn't you have the decals printed easily at a Kinko's or similar copy shop that has ALPS printers?

The solution seems too simple. I'm afraid I'm missing something... :$

[Bill Lumberg Voice]
Yeah in the future if you could crop your crotch out of the picture that would be great thanks.....
[/Bill Lumberg Voice] :angel

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jan 9 2006, 10:44 PM
For those who haven't seen a 1/72 shuttle kit, here's a shot to put it into perspective...

One can see why you might think its studio scale -- its pretty damn big.  Bear in mind I am 6'5" (and ugly all day.).
post-477-1136868262.jpg

[snapback]1155040[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@Feb 2 2006, 03:06 PM
if you could crop your crotch out of the picture that would be great
:lol

By the way: I like your Lawgiver, VP-70, and Blade Runner Blaster on the wall behind you. I know this is the wrong thread, but how about a closer shot of those? (Crotch unnecessary. :D )

EDIT: I'm curious to see how those firearm replicas are mounted to the wall. If you like, please post as a new thread in the props section (unless, of course, those are build-ups you did from kits).

No... Not missing something.

It IS a fairly simple solution, hence my earlier statement that I'm not too distressed. Dilema is resolvable via a couple of avenues, but will just now take a bit extra work... :unsure

Originally posted by temponaut+Feb 2 2006, 04:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Feb 2 2006, 04:23 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Feb 2 2006, 12:11 PM
I can run the set on my scanner at a high DPI and double it in size.  But I CAN'T print on decal paper...
I mentioned this in your other thread, but if you can provide a file and decal paper, couldn't you have the decals printed easily at a Kinko's or similar copy shop that has ALPS printers?

The solution seems too simple. I'm afraid I'm missing something... :$
[snapback]1173990[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart+Feb 2 2006, 06:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ Feb 2 2006, 06:06 AM)</div>
[Bill Lumberg Voice]
Yeah in the future if you could crop your crotch out of the picture that would be great thanks.....
[/Bill Lumberg Voice]   :angel

<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jan 9 2006, 10:44 PM

One can see why you might think its studio scale -- its pretty damn big.  Bear in mind I am 6'5" (and ugly all day.).

[snapback]1155040[/snapback]​
[snapback]1174061[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well, you know -- that photo IS all about showing off size.... :booty

(OK we're in a downward spiral here.)

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 2 2006, 10:34 PM
Well, you know -- that photo IS all about showing off size....  :booty
It's not often we get to see the "moon" smiley, and used to such good effect, too. :D

Base coat is down. I chose an off-white/eggshell white (Krylon Fusion Dover White).

I did so based on scale, and the concept that the smaller the scale, the less pure the colors should be. I've deduced from this thread that the hero models were mnotably bigger than mine.

I'm betting the originals were done in a more pure white, and the off-white tone in the refernce pics we've seen is due to weathering (similer to the accepted methods of how X-Wings were finished).

But, mine being a smaller scale, I used the off-white base coat.

EDIT: Vote is still out on the scale. Close to 1/72, but most likely slightly larger. Two respected RPFer's have suggest 1/64 scale.

Pics from the "gallery" special feature

Check the shot I posted of my self holding the model, and compare to the stage shot. Remember I am 6'5", and the stage technician probably ISN'T.

That's pretty cool to know. I always thought they may have used 1/72 scale but I wasn't sure. I did a 1/72 Moonraker with an old Revell kit when I was a kid handpainting the stripes and logos. It looked like crap but I was twelve years old so I was happy with it. :D Don't know if I still have it or not, probably thrown out years ago. How did the Krylon Fusion paint turn out?

Bill

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 1 2006, 10:11 PM
SERIOUS disappointment...
This whole project was predicated on a set of decals I picked up years ago that I THOUGHT were 1/72 scale.
Other suggestions?  Ideas?
[snapback]1173931[/snapback]​

Hows this???
I just thought of these guys and checked, sure enough...
http://www.jbot.ca/sciencefiction/moonraker.shtml
[image]http://www.jbot.ca/images/decals/08/08-11d.jpg[/image]
As stated on site, the 1/72 decals DO NOT come with the orange stripes.

Lynn

DEFINETLY a consideratoin. I checked them out too. :thumbsup

I've already painted on the stripes, and will experiment a bit with the logos and numbers, keeoing his decals in mind as an alternative.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back