Moonraker Shuttle Model -- Finished!

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by PHArchivist, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I know its a fairly obscure subject, but does anyone know the scale of the studio models?

I have the 1/72 shuttle kit. and some Moonraker decals... Curious how close to studio scale it is.

Update: All done. And glad to see its not such an obscure topic afterall. Its been a joy.

With studio scale, I vary on my weathering -- sometimes I do it as if it were for the camera (like the genuine filming models), sometimes its for my eye. This was done in the latter style. As such, in person the weathering matches the reference pics; on "film" it looks more subtle...

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dunno. I'm sure I have a magazine article around here with a photo if only I knew where it was. :lol

I'd guess the largest Moonraker miniatures would have been even bigger than 1/72. The largest commercially available shuttle kits are 1/72 tho, and I don't know if a Revell or Monogram kit would have been available early enough to have been used in Moonraker (released in 1979, first shuttle launch was not until 1981, first kits debuted in 1979)...

Here are a couple of the earlier kits, I had these myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- k

3. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Aurora/Polar Lights released a set, with decals. Not sure on the scale.

4. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

PHArchivist, Is your set of Moonraker decals in 1/72 scale?

5. PHArchivist

I'm pretty sure it is...

I honestly don't recall how I stumbled across them. They are clearly Moonraker, but at first glance don't seem to quite match the markings in the movie shuttes. Though so far I've only taken a passing glance -- I'm still sort of in the research mode (hence this thread).

I've only just stared the kit, and very quickly held up the decals to the parts, but haven't fully studied the decals versus kit match-up.

There was a model at the Planet Hollywood in Vegas a few years back. Though as sith most PH stuff, you have to question its authenticity. Sadly, mmy pics of it are not as good as I hoped.

6. PHArchivist

7. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can translate entire webpages at http://world.altavista.com/.

I seem to recall that there were differences between the Moonraker shuttles and the real deal (and, presumably, commercial models of the real deal). But I can't remember anything less vague than that...

8. ShowCraft

I've also seen the Moonraker shuttle at a few of the Planet Hollywoods. They all looked a little "off" and knowing that most of the models at PH were not the real thing, I didnt bother to photo them. I've done a fair bit of research on the Moonraker effects, but have never heard mention of the shuttle model size.

9. phase pistol

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Translated, the page says "Length 56 m, Scale 24 m"... I'm going to guess they mean Scale is 1:24?

The overall length of the entire shuttle stack with boosters is about 56 meters... so a 1:24 orbiter would be about 1.6 m long (5 feet).

- k

10. the DOCTOR

the DOCTOR Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, the 1979 Airfix catalogue featured a piece about how the Airfix kit had been used for background and smaller scale shuttles in the movie, and that Airfix produced a full stack Moonraker suttle; I *think* that Revell did a full stack and lone orbiter for the States, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

11. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

I saw the orinial large Moonraker 5 shuttle a good few years ago in NJ at a small bond convension. I didn't have a camera or anything with me, but I recal that it was a good bit bigger than the 1/72 Revell shuttle as I have one of those. I was to say it was about 50% bigger, maybe 1/50th or 1/48th scale, but I really can't recall how big it was, could have been bigger. It was the hero model for the in-space shots and was the largest of the models built. So I'd think the 'full stack' miniatures were a good bit smaller.

Lee

12. PHArchivist

Cool - so it has been on public display... Wonder if any one else saw it/photographed it... One can only hope.

13. ShowCraft

A good view of the model.

14. PHArchivist

Awesome shot -- thanks.

Regarding comparison to the real NASA shuttles, this from the IMDB:

"When work on the film began, NASA had in fact not yet officially "finalized" the design of the Space Shuttle. Fortunately for the production designers, there were subsequently no visible changes made to the shuttle's design, making their rendering of it accurate."

15. ShowCraft

There is a noticable difference in the shape and rake of the nose, cockpit window area and roof between original and newer shuttle model kits. The first models put out by Revell and Airfix in the late 70's have the same body lines and window shape as the Moonraker models. If your going to build yourself an accurate 1/72 Moonraker shuttle, you should really use the first Revell Columbia kit.

16. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

[attachmentid=5872]

The studio models were larger than the 1/72 scale indeed close to the 1/48 -1/50 as mentioned. Here is a pic of moonraker 5.

17. PHArchivist

Awesome contribution, Paul -- THANKS.

If you find any more, let me know.

18. PHArchivist

Check this out -- here's the notorious Planet Hollywood model. Note something missing.?

19. PHArchivist

So what do you think guys?

As I work on my own model, should I display it here, or in the General Modeling Forum?

20. paulcarson

I'd show it here. I'm sure that I have some photographs from a Bond exhibition in Glasgow about 6 years ago. I'll try to find them and scan them for you. They were taken from various angles as I too was going to attempt a shuttle in the 1/72 scale.

Good luck.

21. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Show it here if it's in one of the scales used in the production, or one you're assuming was used (since that info seems to be uncertain).

If you're building at a scale you know was NOT used, then that would go in General.

22. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Just thought I would mention that there was a 1/100 scale model of the Monnraker with tank and boosters on the tractor.

I have one in a box somewhere unfinished. :unsure

I also have one of the 1/72 Columbia's as well.

D6

23. PHArchivist

That would be totally awesome if you could find more pics.

24. PHArchivist

For those who haven't seen a 1/72 shuttle kit, here's a shot to put it into perspective...

One can see why you might think its studio scale -- its pretty * big. Bear in mind I am 6'5" (and ugly all day.).

25. phase pistol

That 1/72 is a good size. Should make for a nice replica. :)

Reminds me... I wish a decent replica of the X-71 "Armageddon" shuttle had been done...

[​IMG]

Only good thing in that movie, IMHO. :lol

- K

26. PHArchivist

SERIOUS disappointment...

This whole project was predicated on a set of decals I picked up years ago that I THOUGHT were 1/72 scale.

As it turns out, the decals are closer to 1/144... :angry

I'm not TOO distressed as 95% of the markings can be masked amnd painted on. Or I can run the set on my scanner at a high DPI and double it in size. But I CAN'T print on decal paper...

Other suggestions? Ideas?

27. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I mentioned this in your other thread, but if you can provide a file and decal paper, couldn't you have the decals printed easily at a Kinko's or similar copy shop that has ALPS printers?

The solution seems too simple. I'm afraid I'm missing something... :$

28. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[Bill Lumberg Voice]
    Yeah in the future if you could crop your crotch out of the picture that would be great thanks.....
    [/Bill Lumberg Voice] :angel

29. temponaut

:lol

By the way: I like your Lawgiver, VP-70, and Blade Runner Blaster on the wall behind you. I know this is the wrong thread, but how about a closer shot of those? (Crotch unnecessary. :D )

EDIT: I'm curious to see how those firearm replicas are mounted to the wall. If you like, please post as a new thread in the props section (unless, of course, those are build-ups you did from kits).

30. PHArchivist

No... Not missing something.

It IS a fairly simple solution, hence my earlier statement that I'm not too distressed. Dilema is resolvable via a couple of avenues, but will just now take a bit extra work... :unsure

31. PHArchivist

Well, you know -- that photo IS all about showing off size.... :booty

(OK we're in a downward spiral here.)

32. temponaut

It's not often we get to see the "moon" smiley, and used to such good effect, too. :D

33. PHArchivist

Base coat is down. I chose an off-white/eggshell white (Krylon Fusion Dover White).

I did so based on scale, and the concept that the smaller the scale, the less pure the colors should be. I've deduced from this thread that the hero models were mnotably bigger than mine.

I'm betting the originals were done in a more pure white, and the off-white tone in the refernce pics we've seen is due to weathering (similer to the accepted methods of how X-Wings were finished).

But, mine being a smaller scale, I used the off-white base coat.

34. PHArchivist

EDIT: Vote is still out on the scale. Close to 1/72, but most likely slightly larger. Two respected RPFer's have suggest 1/64 scale.

Pics from the "gallery" special feature

35. PHArchivist

Check the shot I posted of my self holding the model, and compare to the stage shot. Remember I am 6'5", and the stage technician probably ISN'T.

36. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool to know. I always thought they may have used 1/72 scale but I wasn't sure. I did a 1/72 Moonraker with an old Revell kit when I was a kid handpainting the stripes and logos. It looked like crap but I was twelve years old so I was happy with it. :D Don't know if I still have it or not, probably thrown out years ago. How did the Krylon Fusion paint turn out?

Bill

37. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Hows this???
    I just thought of these guys and checked, sure enough...
    http://www.jbot.ca/sciencefiction/moonraker.shtml
    [image]http://www.jbot.ca/images/decals/08/08-11d.jpg[/image]
    As stated on site, the 1/72 decals DO NOT come with the orange stripes.

Lynn

38. PHArchivist

DEFINETLY a consideratoin. I checked them out too. :thumbsup

I've already painted on the stripes, and will experiment a bit with the logos and numbers, keeoing his decals in mind as an alternative.

39. phase pistol

Well that's pretty cool. :D

- k

40. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I just scored a 1979 Columbia shuttle kit off eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...Item=5955178645
    [image]http://ikestoys.dyndns.org/spike/t92.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://ikestoys.dyndns.org/spike/t93.jpg[/image]
    It looks like another cool model to add to my SS collection from another movie I have loved since a child.

If it does not appear to be SS, it will be another large cool model to the collection.

Lynn

41. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Did it ever occur to anyone there could have been more than one model used and in more than one scale? I have no idea myself, but from experience I'd bet money on it. Also, again from my personal experience, I'd have to assume the model was larger than 1:72 since that is not an architectural scale. It was probably 1:64 or 3/16" to the foot or even 1:48. A 1:72 model could have been used for medium or far shots, but probably not for closeups.

Scott

42. PHArchivist

Absolutely, Scott.

Its clear in watching the film that there were larger scales for close shots (eg. shots of the nose when they are chasing down the last orb).

From whatever minimal deductions one can make from a few studio stills, it appears the 1/72 (or 1/64, or whatever it was), smaller scale models were used in conjunction with the wide shots of the space station model.

To your point about architectural scales, yes -- it may not have been exactly 1/72 scale, but from the shots of Meddings and the other stage technician manipulating the models, and having handled the 1/72 scale shuttle daily for the past three weeks, if it is not 1/72 scale, it is close.

43. PHArchivist

1/64 may be closer to accurate. Or I AM bigger than those fellows working on the effects.

44. PHArchivist

Another comparison:

45. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Looks good.. Can you post some pics of yours painted closer?
    What color did you use for the stripes?
    Maybe try to get a pic of a person holding it not so "giant" sized. :lol That may make the scale look closer.

Just curious as to what shuttle you got, the Older Columbia, or the newer Mono/Revel one?

Lynn

46. PHArchivist

Lynn, its the newer kit, which is (as mentioned earlier in this thread) slightly inaccurate:
    --There is a seam on the rudder not existent on the studio models
    --My kit has a series (roughly 20 per side) of hinges for the cargo bay doors that protrude out beyond the plane of the fuselage sides; the studio model appears to have only three
    --For the black area on the nose, I masked the rear vertical edge of the black portion in line with the molded seam line on the kit, but the on studio model the black extends back a tad more
    --I'm sure there are more subltle inaccuracies I'll discover as I detail paint it.

Will be happy to show more shots. The orange banding was a combination of:
    --Red oxide primer
    --Testor's Competition Orange (real reddish for an orange, and dark)
    --Krylon H2O Bengal Orange (as an overcoat)

In the pics above you can see the vertical stabilizer and rudder are still masked. I had to re-paint these (I biffed the angle the first time :angry ). After unmasking the rest of the ship, I realized these parts are still too red (not enough Bengal Orange), so I'll need to re-mask the entire shuttle again and spray another coat of the Bengal.

So add another day of curing time befor unmasking and moving forward.

47. paulcarson

I still think that 1/72 is a good scale to work in. Have you painted the underside brown? I seem to remember that the portions of the shuttle that I thought were black were in fact brown.
    (I'll have to see if I can dig out those photos. )

48. PHArchivist

Paul your dead right. In the reference pics, you can clearly see the small areas around the reaction control thrusters on the nose are jet black, but the larger area has a brown hue to it.

On the area around my model's nose, I based-coated with a "Wrought Iron Black" rattlecan, then air-burshed a thin coat of Burnt Umber. But I think I was too squeamish, and did not apply enough of the Burnt Umber.

I need to adjust the black area over the nose anyway, so I believe I will add more with the airbrush.

49. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

The orange looks very close to Floquil Reefer Orange. The problem is, I don't know if Floquil existed then.

Scott

50. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

I'm still curious about the krylon Fusion you used as a basecoat. Does it dry out to a pretty smooth, hard surface? The color looks like a good match.

Bill