Monster Book of Monsters

ScoobiJohn

Just wondering if anyone has any semi accurate dimesions of the monster book of monsters from Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban - i intend to make a leather bound book from scratch to form the base so any half decent reference photos would be nice too - while searching on google it provided basically nothing but pictures of reproductions of highly dubious quality - very few from the film itself and even then from odd angles - so any help would be welcome

I don't but know for a fact that they made a gazillion different sizes. It's probably one of the props that has the highest number of different versions

well if thats the case i will just have to eyeball it - but will hold out a little longer - surely someone has a rough idea - there were loads of them in the film you think that some of them must have survived

monsterbookofmonsters.png

Using this image and the proposed measurement across the four knuckles of his hand being about 3.5" (mine is 4" and I am older/bigger) gives 17"x13.6"x3.4" FWIW. Good luck!

ah ....too late sadly i cut the pages - but my dimension aren't to far from your estimate but the tentacles will add a bit more too - sadly at 300 pages its still not as thick as this monster (pun intended) but i think it will be thick enough to pull off the effect - if not......might try and bulk it out with some card - hell there is no way i can fill the current 300 pages with art and text ... maybe its a notebook as well as a textbook :)

Started fur application as a test really and will need some trimming here and there but like the effect overall so really need to work out the paint issues before i go any further - the acrylic dried to hard and would crack and this new flexible stuff I just tried dried practically transparent - might have accept the odd crack in the acrylic paint :(
20200923_111341.jpg
20200923_111349.jpg

yeah i seriously had doubts about how i was going to do the fur gluing it on seemed all but impossible more of it on my fingers than the book but that flexible paint might be less than ideal for painting things but it works great as a glue - its not as sticky yet once dry it hold the fur really well

overall i'm happy with my attempt so far - the tentacles from foam tiles hasn't worked as well as i hoped - they largely refused to hold a shape and the 2 i used wire inserts were a pain for other reasons - but it should still look quite good when finished - if i did another one i 'm pretty sure i could do it a lot better so i might go again but not for a little while

yeah i seriously had doubts about how i was going to do the fur gluing it on seemed all but impossible more of it on my fingers than the book but that flexible paint might be less than ideal for painting things but it works great as a glue - its not as sticky yet once dry it hold the fur really well

overall i'm happy with my attempt so far - the tentacles from foam tiles hasn't worked as well as i hoped - they largely refused to hold a shape and the 2 i used wire inserts were a pain for other reasons - but it should still look quite good when finished - if i did another one i 'm pretty sure i could do it a lot better so i might go again but not for a little while

Keep up the great work and use what you learned on this build to up the ante on the next one!

Probably the last update for a while - fur (fake obviously) is slow going and I'm going to need more than I have so nothing major is going to happen until im doing the title on the front

Overall thing looking pretty good right now
20200925_181437.jpg

Basically done now just needs a little work on the spine and a quick trim and comb in places

20201002_132902.jpg

Though probably not accurate I figure not all creatures are exactly the same so if the colour is quite right..... was limited by the fur I could get hold off

I also made the tongue a bookmark which pleased me for some reason anyway happy with the result

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back