Monogram Voyager build..this time for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
I decided to star a brand new thread since this time I will finish Voyager in the next few weeks this time.

I got all the goodies for her now. My effects board came back from Randy which he repaired after I blew it out in the B. So the B got my Voyager board.

Got decals inbound from JT Graphics. I have the Para Graphics PE set and the Don’s Light and Magic parts, Power supply and the works.
IO got this kit 16 years ago or more from my wife. I had done a lot of work on it already but the windows I drilled out weren’t so great. And not all of them were cut out.

I spent the evening cut them all out and pointing them up. Next up is to fill them with Dental acrylic. Once the windows are all done she will be a quick build.

It’s Long overdue. If I ever hope to get to the NX-01 that Doug Drexler sent me before the Aztec decals go bad I better move my sorry aooooga.

Here we go again. Video will be up in about an hour.

Steve

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

You bet guys. It's been haunting me too. I mean there it sits with all the goodies.

Managed to get all the windows tidy tonight on he saucer section. Real clean.

More tomorrow.

Steve

I'm so glad to see you building Voyager! As much as I like the TOS stuff you've been working on, this is more my speed. Looks great so far, and I don't envy you for needing to drill out all those windows, and clean up the ones from "the other guy." Keep up the good work!

That's a pretty sizeable model. Plus, that the fictional ship is notably smaller than the Constitution and Galaxy class ships, scale issues with the kit should be better, right?

Way too many windows for me! LOL. Looks like you're off to a fine start though. A question: why is silver paint inferior for light blocking?

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has made an armored Voyager from the finale...

Way too many windows for me! LOL. Looks like you're off to a fine start though. A question: why is silver paint inferior for light blocking?

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has made an armored Voyager from the finale...

white reflects the light more evenly. As for light blocking a few good coats of any good primer will do. I learned this over time.

Steve

Man, I used to have that kit, but I lost it (along with a few others) in a house fire.

I do have some of the pieces left over though. One of the nacelles, the nacelle arm, the central piece the cells hook to, the underside of the 'dish' section and the transparent bits. Just let me know if you can use them.

EDIT: I may have half of the hull too. Starboard if I remember correctly.

No doubt that this will be a fine piece once your done with this Steve, it's also a pretty nice size model.

Not much to show. Two nights of doing windows. About 4-5hours. they are all cut out and ready for dental acrylic. I do though have to use the PE window templates to cut out the missing bridge windows. but that should be easy with the templates.

Got a coat of primer on everything and the windows look nice and crisp. I'm shooting video all along and will post when I have a bit more. I'll be putting in all the PE windows and PE missing parts and upgrades next.

Remember I'm only working on it and couple of hours a night until I get my kit orders filled. ;)

Steve

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8319.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

A quick question, I noticed on the upper spoon that you cut out the entire window impression on the larger windows. I believe that they should be 2 pane or some of the larger ones, 3 pane. Are you going to correct this after the window filler?
If not no big deal just wondering because I'm working on this now and it's taking forever on those windows, just wondering if there is an easier way.
Really looking good and looking forward to more updates.
Your builds are so imspiring.

Most of the windows are two pane. But not scribed that way. As you know all the large panel windows are cut out already. But i have brass PE for those.
I can correct the larger ones easy with a bit of thin brass.

Sorry to hear about your loss Ford. I may have to move out of LA soon to the mountains for better living conditions and much lower rent. But i worry about the fires we have up there.

you'll build it back I'm sure,

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back