Monogram Voyager build..this time for sure!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SteveNeill, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I decided to star a brand new thread since this time I will finish Voyager in the next few weeks this time.

I got all the goodies for her now. My effects board came back from Randy which he repaired after I blew it out in the B. So the B got my Voyager board.

Got decals inbound from JT Graphics. I have the Para Graphics PE set and the Don’s Light and Magic parts, Power supply and the works.
    IO got this kit 16 years ago or more from my wife. I had done a lot of work on it already but the windows I drilled out weren’t so great. And not all of them were cut out.

I spent the evening cut them all out and pointing them up. Next up is to fill them with Dental acrylic. Once the windows are all done she will be a quick build.

It’s Long overdue. If I ever hope to get to the NX-01 that Doug Drexler sent me before the Aztec decals go bad I better move my sorry aooooga.

Here we go again. Video will be up in about an hour.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

3. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

Thank you for getting back to this build. I can't wait to see you work your magic on this.

4. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

You bet guys. It's been haunting me too. I mean there it sits with all the goodies.

Managed to get all the windows tidy tonight on he saucer section. Real clean.

More tomorrow.

Steve

5. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see you building Voyager! As much as I like the TOS stuff you've been working on, this is more my speed. Looks great so far, and I don't envy you for needing to drill out all those windows, and clean up the ones from "the other guy." Keep up the good work!

6. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

That's a pretty sizeable model. Plus, that the fictional ship is notably smaller than the Constitution and Galaxy class ships, scale issues with the kit should be better, right?

7. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Way too many windows for me! LOL. Looks like you're off to a fine start though. A question: why is silver paint inferior for light blocking?

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has made an armored Voyager from the finale...

8. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

YES! Good call! LOL!

steve

9. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

white reflects the light more evenly. As for light blocking a few good coats of any good primer will do. I learned this over time.

Steve

10. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Actually for light "blocking" silver (or any metallic) is the best. For reflecting light; white by far is superior.

11. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

Man, I used to have that kit, but I lost it (along with a few others) in a house fire.

I do have some of the pieces left over though. One of the nacelles, the nacelle arm, the central piece the cells hook to, the underside of the 'dish' section and the transparent bits. Just let me know if you can use them.

EDIT: I may have half of the hull too. Starboard if I remember correctly.

12. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Ah that's very kind of you I'll keep that in mind should I screw up!

Thanks so much!

Steve

13. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to this build!!!

14. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

No doubt that this will be a fine piece once your done with this Steve, it's also a pretty nice size model.

15. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Hey! Hey long time no see.

And thanks Ray.

Steve

16. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Not much to show. Two nights of doing windows. About 4-5hours. they are all cut out and ready for dental acrylic. I do though have to use the PE window templates to cut out the missing bridge windows. but that should be easy with the templates.

Got a coat of primer on everything and the windows look nice and crisp. I'm shooting video all along and will post when I have a bit more. I'll be putting in all the PE windows and PE missing parts and upgrades next.

Remember I'm only working on it and couple of hours a night until I get my kit orders filled. ;)

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

maaaan!.... no videos?....im gonna go into with drawls

18. Ford W Maverick

No problem man! Having some small part in one of your awesome builds would definitely help me get over the models I lost. :D

19. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

A quick question, I noticed on the upper spoon that you cut out the entire window impression on the larger windows. I believe that they should be 2 pane or some of the larger ones, 3 pane. Are you going to correct this after the window filler?
    If not no big deal just wondering because I'm working on this now and it's taking forever on those windows, just wondering if there is an easier way.
    Really looking good and looking forward to more updates.
    Your builds are so imspiring.

20. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Most of the windows are two pane. But not scribed that way. As you know all the large panel windows are cut out already. But i have brass PE for those.
    I can correct the larger ones easy with a bit of thin brass.

Sorry to hear about your loss Ford. I may have to move out of LA soon to the mountains for better living conditions and much lower rent. But i worry about the fires we have up there.

you'll build it back I'm sure,

steve

21. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Looking good Steve. Can you tell us more about this dental acrylic and how to do it?

Thanks,
    Kenny

22. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Yes Steve. I'd like to know of a good online source for dental acrylic. Most of the local dental supply outfits in my area won't sell it the general public.

You also mentioned some kind of product for fingernails that works just as well. Can you elaborate on that?

23. trooper

what models did you lose? maybe i have one i can donate to help you get goin? just pm me, i dont want to hijack the thread :)

24. Ford W Maverick

Thanks Steve!

Fortunately I'd moved most of my stuff out of the house already, so I just lost a few boxes of mostly unimportant stuff and a box of models which included two AMT Millennium Falcon models (one cut away, one not) an AMT Star Destroyer (which I was able to salvage after some reshaping with a heat gun) and the Voyager model which was mostly melted beyond recognition.

So I guess for a house fire it could have been a lot worse. :D

25. trooper

your alive !! thats whats important beyond anything, everything else is just STUFF and can be replaced, i know :)

26. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Which is more than I can say for myself. Well barely alive. It was 100 today. I had to make one half of the engineering hull over again as yesterday it went off so fast it warped the section. The other one I was able to fix. Then I laid up the nacelles for the big E kit for Trooper here. Man it was hell but all fiber glass parts are done!

Never do this stuff in the heat! It's counter productive! I had little choice or make Trooper wait for cooler weather. ;) In LA at this time a year? Try November!

Still 94 in the garage at 7 pm. Hoping to get some Voyager work done late tonight.

As for the dental acrylic you can get it from Davis Dental.

And for how you work with it? Tape the windows shut from the out side of the hull. Fill them in from the backside with the dental acrylic powder.

Then using a glue bottle with the needle point drip in the liquid until the powder is liquefied and let set. Only takes a few minutes for it to kick. Remove the tape and you have windows.

One of the 66 inch Enterprise videos shows it blow by blow. So check those out and I'll cover it again on the Voyager.

One of you guys find that video and post it here for the guys if you can it would be a big help.

I feel like a penal colony worker that encountered a porcupine and need a shower.

Steve

27. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

28. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

29. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

....dental acrylic.....:facepalm

You are a genius, Steve.

Great build so far!

Rich

30. trooper

i wish i had the dental acrylic when i did the windows on my 350 scale refit, clear resin is a pain!!!

the ship is looking great!

bummer to here about the troubles with the fiberglass, so everything is good now ? :):):)

31. Ford W Maverick

Oh, I know. I've been dead before.

...I got better... :D

32. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Steve,

Another fast fantastic build and I'm loving it so far.

Yet another question on the Dental Acrilic from Davis Dental. I see many products online and I even downloaded their catalog but I'm not seeing an exact match to what you use on the models. It looks like their own brand, but I just can't find it. Do you have a link?

Please forgive as some of us needs this stuff :behave (beaten into our heads)

I'm thinking most any clear would be fine, but why risk it?

33. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

As always, great stuff, Steve.
    Hmmm, I really gotta get me a dremel...:lol

34. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

you have to go there to get it they don't sell it online it would appear. however you can go to a beauty supply and get the same thing for women's nails.

Keep in mind it's not perfectly clear. To do that you will need to use clear cast epoxy and it takes forever to set off and can often capture bubbles

Steve

35. trooper

i know a couple dentists i plan on hittin up :)

36. gps

gps New Member

Ah, I was wondering about that as Google kept turning up nail products in my searches for acrylic powder.

So these would be the cosmetic equivalent?

Clear Acrylic Powder
    Acrylic Liquids

37. Spheric Thor

38. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Chris!

39. Orbital Drydock

Orbital Drydock Active Member

Looking good. Steve, I love your work!

40. Spheric Thor

41. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Chris. Many, many problems with the computers last night and I set it to upload and went to bed.

Steve

42. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Hey Steve, on the PE ,did you try heating it up to soften it for bends and curves? I did it on the limber hole PE for the small Seaview model and it really helps it conform withiout wanting to spring back on you.

43. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

No I did and you know what? I should have done was just use them as a template and a cut them out of styrene. Oh well next time.

Steve

44. Monari

Monari New Member

Hey Steve!

Your B inspired me to tackle the Voyager, so i'm overjoyed to see you putting out videos for this build. Can't wait to see more!

45. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I also have a crap load of extra parts, pretty much everything except the engineering hull that i used on my ZF.1 If you have any need for them feel free to PM me.

46. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Monari, that's great to hear!

Glen do you have the instructions? I'm still not sure if I'm missing things or not and i really appreciate your help and offer. If you could scan them and send them somehow that would help. Can't find mine.

Steve

47. JohnLogan

JohnLogan Well-Known Member

Looking good, this is my second favorite federation ship.
    Can't wait to see the base, or will you land it ?

48. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I have them Steve, pm sent....

49. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I'll make a base. One day I'd like to put one under ice. ;)

steve

50. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

It's looking so good I had to grab one off eBay to follow along. If I can get anywhere close to what I know Steve will do then I'll be very happy.

~~Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.