Monogram 1/32 Viper

staermose

Sr Member
I've got a Monogram Viper that I would like to get a bit more accurate. Are there any guides anywhere I could look at to get some ideas about what to do and what not to do? I know I could just buy some upgrade parts. But I'm not interested in the landing gear and the cockpit can hardly be seen once installed. So what I'm looking for is mostly what to change on the outside of the model, like the hull, the engines, guns and wings. What should i look out for?

Just to give you an idea where I'm going with this kit. It was a reissue from 1997 that was built and painted OOB when bought it in 1997. I have now taken it apart and cleaned the parts and started adding/removing details to make it look more accurate.
Here's a list of things I've done or plan to do.

New wings, all three. Still missing the two large ones.
New canopy frame from scratch. Done.
Rescriping lines on the main hull. Done.
New detatail plates on the main hull. Almost done.
Added some highth to the large sqaurish plate on the bottom of the main hull. Still need some finishing touches.
New cockpit from scratch. Using an old resin and PE set from a F-16. And sheets of styrene. Halfway there.
New deatils on the guns. One done, one to go.
New pipes on the side between the engines. One done, one to go.
New exhaust detail. Not completely correct according to the filming miniature. But it looks better than the kit part at least. One done, two to go.
New buttplate. Some parts from the kit, some new pipes. Done.
New details on the bottom beside the rails. Done.

It was a reissue from 1997 that was built and painted OOB when bought it in 1997. I have now taken it apart cleand the parts and started adding/removing details to make it look more accurate.

I still got a new on mint on the box, but at the prices they are going for these days I thought it would be better to experiment on the old one.

Cheers
Staermose

VIPERPROGRESS1.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS2.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS3.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS4.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS5.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS6.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS7.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS8.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS9.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS10.jpg

VIPERPROGRESS11.jpg

Wow. Nice work on the cleaned-up details, at first glance I wasn't sure if that was for the Monogram Model
or the Studio-Scale model.

Small update:

I have just gotten some new information on the canopy. I was just building a copy of the one in the kit. Which I now know is wrong. So its of to the trash can with that one. If I can find the time this weekend, I will build a new and more accurate one.

Cheers
Staermose

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back