Monks are generally NOT WOMEN (Momoa's Conan griping)

Nwerke

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm trying to watch it. And there's this monastery, see? Faux Tibetan style, and there's an attack, and for some reason the bad guys drag a *ship* up to the gates of the monastery, which causes alarm because somehow the four days of effort and loud grunting it took to achieve this didn't register with anybody inside, presumably they were way too busy contemplating the omphalos of the world or achieving enlightenment or something.

And I'm still trying to get my head around that, when there's all this talk about monks. At the monastery. Which would be reasonable enough except that we haven't seen any - all we've seen is Jacopo Mugatu 'teaching' a group of nubile, slinky young women in white shifts.

And then attack. White shift girl flees. Bad guy chase scene. Suddenly Conan. Rescues ensue, or kidnaps, hard to tell. More talk about invisible monks. And then this gem:

Rescued/kidnapped nubile slinky girl: "I'm just a simple monk"

- uhwaitwhat...the GIRLS were the MONKS? The MONKS were the GIRLS?! Damn, creepy or what, they don't have big hands or high foreheads or anything. It's a trap, but you can't tell, man! You can't tell!

Somebody please tell me - what language is spoken in Hollywood? Much of it is eerily similar to English, but it's not that.

Yep, yep, I know about the Conan thread, ta though. The point of this one was more to moan about horrible Hollywood manglish.

Another one: calling a female officer 'sir'. It's like telling her you think she's Lady Gaga. Or calling a king or queen 'your highness', which is demoting them.

I was recently present at an event where a local TV presenter did that to the queen - the real queen, HM Queen Elizabeth the Second. Cringearama!

...Or calling a king or queen 'your highness', which is demoting them...

I have to plead ignorance on this one; if I ever came face-to-face with a king or queen, I think I'd politely bow my head and keep my mouth shut. The saying "I'd rather be quiet and let people think I'm a fool than open my mouth and remove all doubt" applies here. :lol

Incidentally, and not that I'll ever be in this situation, but how does one address a king/queen? Is it "Your Majesty?" Is "Sir" or "Ma'am" appropriate?

"Your Majesty" is the correct form for addressing the monarch. "Highness" is for Princes and Princesses. ("Grace" for Dukes and Duchesses and I think Lord/Lady for most others).
Queen Elizabeth II prefers the less formal "Ma'am" pronounced to rhyme with "ham", not "harm".

Eric, good plan, me too, ha ha. I did meet her once but I was only nine and it was just a crowd walk-by deal.

Both - it's generally "Your Majesty" in the first instance and "Sir" or "Ma'am" thereafter. ("Your Highness" is for princes and princesses.) IIRC there are also more formal situations where you keep up the full shebang.

You definitely don't want to cheek her with "Queenie" or "Your Queen-ness" or that sort of thing though, or so I'm told, as she's got more experience putting mere mortals in their place than almost anyone else alive. :lol

Edit: Kerr, she'd squash you like a bug. :lol

I would love to see someone try cheeking the Queen (maybe getting handsy), only for her to pull mace or a taser out of her handbag and drop the sucker while smiling sweetly and saying something like "Sod Orf!"

SNIP
The point of this one was more to moan about horrible Hollywood manglish.

Another one: calling a female officer 'sir'.
It's like telling her you think she's Lady Gaga.

I don't care for this one, either.
This is how things are with the new female police captain on "Castle".
She said her mother was "ma'am", she is "sir" or "captain".
Calling a woman "sir" seems like calling a woman "boy" or "man", to me.

But there is a real-world equivalent.
Brig. Gen. Michael Walsh of the Army Corps of Engineers had addressed male senators on the Environment and Public Works Committee as “sir” during the Tuesday hearing. When the time came to speak with Mrs. Boxer, the panel’s chairwoman, he called her “ma’am.”
Mrs. Boxer quickly interrupted him.
“Do me a favor, can you say ‘senator’ instead of ‘ma’am’?” Mrs. Boxer pointedly asked the general. “It’s just a thing. I worked so hard to get that title, so I’d appreciate it. Thank you.”
He obliged. “Yes, senator,” he dutifully responded.
The disagreement marked a deep clash in cultural understandings of appropriate address and respect. Some feminists consider the term “ma’am” patronizing; in the military, it is seen as an honorific.
Or calling a king or queen 'your highness', which is demoting them.

I was recently present at an event where a local TV presenter did that to the queen - the real queen, HM Queen Elizabeth the Second. Cringearama!

This is also cultural.
I have no idea how to address royalty.
In part because of a lack of cultural exposure to that etiquette,
and in part due to fundamental distaste for the concept of "royalty".
Socially I don't view anyone as better than me, up OR down the social ladder.
A noble, polite, hard-working trash-collector is a better person than a philandering, lazy, stupid "royal".
So, I'd be just as likely to "mis-address" a king or queen, and not even know to cringe.

But I agree with your main point, Hollywood has its own special brand of distorting the meaning of words.

Mike

Here's what's even weirder.... In the credits at the end of the film, the actresses that played the monks were credited with the role of "Nuns"! o_O

Ummm.... Bad translation from the original Hyborian Age language(s)? ;)

Last edited:
Nuns, ha! Gotta be usage-nazi editorialising on the part of the credits team. You'd expect those folks to have some grasp of language...guess they wanted to show it, lol.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back