Mondoshawan key - The Fifth Element

Wonder Knight

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone :D,
After my Harry Potter letter's run with Eethan:

I started working on The Fifth Element's key.

Here is a first prototype. I'm still working on a few small details. I will try to document the process during the fabrication of my final prototype. I hope you will already like the first result. :)

prototype.jpg

prototype2.jpg

I have been following the progress on that project and I'm super excited about the result so far, it's absolutely spot on to the propstore and movie refs! I'm actually super anxious to add this key to my collection and i'm pretty sure you guys will love it too :)

Hi everyone,

I will show you some pictures of the fabrication of the wings. I use chemical cut.
You can find out more about the process on this video if you are interested :

I found most of the documentation on model train or ship message boards.
For now I use a little studio in the farm where i live as a little chemical lab ( I don't think my ancestors expected that ;) )

It took me multiple tries to understand how to have a good result, but now I'm quite satisfied :) .

The next step would be to carry out a beautiful soldering, but I'm waiting for some material for that. I hope i can show you a final prototype soon :D

Typon.jpg
insolation.jpg
revelation.jpg
bain acide 1.jpg
bain acide.jpg
plaque.jpg
me.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

Hi everyone,
I made a lot of progress but not posted much ;) .
For the assembly I wanted to be as close as possible to the key of the film and recreate the weld marks of the fins visible on the Propstore references.
227402_9.jpg

The difference in thickness between the fins and the rod represents a real challenge for welding, especially because the fins are like lace and the thin part swells very easily with heat. My first idea was to weld with a blowtorch but the ripples immediately became glowing. So I went back to the soldering iron. I had to wait quite a bit because I had a lot of trouble getting a suitable soldering iron tip for the wings. The difficulty was to find a soldering iron tip thin enough to pass between the fins but not too small because otherwise the heat transfer is not sufficient. After a lot of tests I finally have a satisfactory result :D !!!!!
IMG_0257.JPEG

IMG_0258.JPEG

Each fin is polished to remove the last traces of photosensitive varnish. I tested with a Dremel, but it polishes too much and removes the raw look of the brass.
IMG_0273.JPEG

For the assembly I had to set up a system with brackets that allow me to hold the fins during welding.
IMG_0145.JPEG

and here is the result, i hope you will enjoy it :) :
IMG_0251.JPEG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back