Mondo Posters & General Poster Art Prints discussion

Discussion in 'Collectibles' started by Vivek, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Re: BTTF Marty McFly art by Tyler Stout

That's awesome. I love Tyler stouts work.

3. Vivek

4. Vivek

Badass Exclusive: Mondo’s CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Print| Badass Digest

I've been hoping that Mondo would release a POTA poster, but they went ahead and released a whole set from all the Apes films :). So happy about it, but I am afraid since I can't afford to fork the $230 for the set tomorrow, I will probably won't have any chance for the individual pieces on Friday either :(. To make things more troublesome I'm traveling out of town tomorrow for the next few days. This is such bad timing for me :(. The only thing worst in terms of not getting my desired poster would be if Mondo ever releases a BTTF poster and I never manage to get it.

The whole set of 6 posters is priced at $230, that's about $38 each and is a good price for an individual print.

Planet of the Apes by Martin Ansin

[​IMG]

Beneath the Planet of the Apes by Ken Taylor

[​IMG]

Escape from The Planet of the Apes by Rich Kelly

[​IMG]

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes by Phantom City Creative

[​IMG]

Battle for the Planet of the Apes by Florian Bertmer

[​IMG]

Bonus "Go Ape" poster by Jason Edmiston

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not sure if your familiar with it already, but Expresso Beans is a great poster duscussion/trading forum. Most of the people there are poster fanatics, and will trade or sell posters at a decent price. Several times now I've been able to find posters I wanted for 1/4th the price people on eBay were asking for. (I even lucked out once and managed to snag Stout's "Inglorious Bastards" print for a cool 90 bucks.)

I'd recomment waiting a few weeks to try buying a poster from the forum, the prices are usually a bit higher right after a Mondo drop, but after the initial buying craze, the prices drop and level out.

So if you do miss the Mondo drop, and you decide to try and snag a few for yourself, buying through expressobeans you'll probably end up paying 60 to 100 bucks a piece. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the retail price, but it's expected when dealing with Mondo prints. Plus, it's a hell of a lot better than paying 200 - 300 bucks to the flippers on eBay.

6. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

That's way cool to know about Expresso Beans! Thank you...

7. Vivek

Thanks aeonpulse. I recently discovered the EB forum and been a member there since December 2011. The Martin Ansin poster is the POTA poster most members are looking for. So even on the EB forum it is going to be very tough to land one under $100, but I am counting on it.

8. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

The scalpers seem to be holding prices around $100-$150. I'm sure they are calculating eBay/PP fees so that might be the best price. If you can get one with free shipping that would pretty much cut the scalpers profit.

9. Vivek

10. aeonpulse

Vivek, those went up about a week or two ago, and people were snatching them up. Then they were suddenly taken down, then put back up. Now if you notice, the site says they're "temporarily unavailable". I'm guessing the artist got a Cease and Desist from LucasFilms, since it doesn't seem like he actually got permission to sell these. They might become available again, but I doubt it.

Of course I could be wrong about why they're now unavailable, that's just my guess.

11. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

I love Mondo, I have managed to snag a few of their posters, but sometimes you just have to get lucky to grab them. So far I have the Captain America poster, Iron Man 2 Stout poster and the Transformers DOTM gold edition poster they did. I love the style of their posters and after you see one of them in person you'll be hooked, the screen printing is phenomenal.

12. aeonpulse

Absolutely, I agree. Tyler Stout is by far my favorite, I've manage to collect a good number of his posters. I currently have his Star Wars set, Inglorious Bastards, Big Trouble in Little China, Kill Bill, Let The Right One In, Monster Squad, and The FP. My total collection of Mondo prints is well past 40.

I first started collecting Mondo posters early 2009, and I've noticed that within the past year and a half the Mondo scene has really blown up. A few years ago it was totally different, even Stout's posters would take an hour or two to sell out online. Now almost every drop seems to sell out within seconds.

I know it's selfish to say, but I miss when Mondo was still relatively unknown. It was so much easier to snag the prints you wanted! It's so much more stressful now! And some of these people don't even know how to appreciate or take care of the work they're buying! It's like some of these people say "Oh, it's a limited number, and in high demand! Now I want one too!"

Seriously, I saw a screenshot someone posted in a poster forum showing off his new print he had just received. It was an Olly Moss print, and he had it stapled to his wall. STAPLED! Rrrrgh!

I'm just ranting now. In short, I agree, I love Mondo. A lot of people complain about their business practice, but it's just because they don't understand how things work, or how Mondo makes money.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the two Stout prints that I'm dying to get my hands on are Blade Runner and The Thing, but I don't count on that ever happening. From time to time they pop up on ExpressoBeans and eBay, but when they do, they always end up selling for over a grand. :wacko

13. mike5150

mike5150 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the EB link! I've been wanting the latest Gremlins one.

14. Vivek

Yeah I had seen it last week and thought it wouldn't be licensed. But the reason seems to be that the specific printing paper is on back order.

The Beast Shoppe — A New Hope
    "Temporarily unavailable as of 2/16/12, 2pm PST

The paper I use for these prints is currently backordered by the manufacturer for about 2 weeks. Once I get new paper in, I will resume taking new orders.

Any orders placed up until this point will be fulfilled"

15. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

So.. what is it about Mondo that attracts many of you, just out of curiosity? Is it the name, or is there a certain style/signature to his work? If someone were to make something similar, would it be considered a ripoff of style, a homage, or just an independent piece?

16. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Mondo is just the company. They have artists come up with poster designs and mondo sells them. There's a lot of factors like the movie, the quality of print, the design, but I'd say the main one is the artist. They use some of the best ones out there. I have a dawn of the dead mondo poster and I love it.

[​IMG]

17. Vivek

I have yet to actually acquire a Mondo poster, managed to get Tyler Stout's Marty art print though. But it's all about the artist and how they manage to capture the essence and theme of the movie for me with their Mondo posters. There will be many artists who are equally talented but haven't done the whole licensing thing yet, hence are yet to be discovered to get wide coverage.

JC Richard's John Carter poster

‘John Carter’: Mondo’s cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com

microcosmicmedia

[​IMG]

18. Vivek

19. aeonpulse

Hmmm, that's a ton of posters they'll be handing out. I'm assuming these will all be digital prints then? And not screenprints?

20. Vivek

Yep, most likely. Could be even smaller size than 24x36. Though they mention them as limited-edition prints.

21. aeonpulse

there's bound to be a limited screenprinted "artist's copy" release later on, might even be a variant.

22. Vivek

Yeah I am hoping for a screenprint edition later on as well.

23. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Mondo just scored the back to the future licenses and these prints go on sale tomorrow. They're being sold as a set or you can opt to buy a single print of all three prints combined at a much smaller size. Frankly for their first print of such a highly beloved series, I think they dropped the ball. They should have got Ken Taylor or Tyler Stout to do them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. aeonpulse

Scareb, I was also very dissapointed with these. We've known for a while now that a BTTF Mondo release was coming, and after Stout's teaser, I was seriously looking forward to these. When I saw the announcement e-mail from Mondo hit my inbox, my heart skipped and I immediately opened it, expecting to see Stout's full poster in all it's glory. These are alright, I suppose, but there's a ton of memorable scenes and what not from each movie that could have been utelized for these posters, and they just weren't. Big let down.

Who knows, maybe Mondo was able to score the licenses for the movies, but not the actors/actresses likenesses?

25. Vivek

Heavy Future: Mondo to release Back to the Future poster
    I loved the simple design, want the variant as well. But got to be careful with the spending, I am sure better designs are in store for BTTF posters especially from Tyler Stout.

I do hope they have acquired actor likeness rights as well.

26. Vivek

Kept getting error message about credit card during final checkout step and then two minutes later SOLD OUT. :( :( :(

Ebay sellers it is for me :rolleyes.

27. aeonpulse

If you really want them that bad, don't forget about expressobeans.com

Personally, I decided to pass on these, I'm holding out to see what other BTTF prints Mondo rolls out.

28. Vivek

Thanks, yeah I am posting and visiting there frequently now. Already added the set in my want list on the site. Hope to find the set at the regular price. Already on ebay with some sellers asking for $800, insane. Hopefully the demands will wither away soon.

I understand. I like this set, but I am sure there will be better BTTF posters. Wanted to buy this set, until a more desirable BTTF poster comes along.

29. Vivek

30. Vivek

31. aeonpulse

Has anyone heard anything official about Olly Moss creating a set of posters for the new trilogy, like he did the originals? I saw the following image on an article over at slashfilm.com earlier today, but I haven't been able to find any official announcement or anything. I'm curious if this is actually Moss' work, or if it's just Moss' style duplicated by a fan.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Ah, never mind. I emailed the fellow who runs omgposters.com, he's reporting that it's just a rip-off artist, mimicking Moss' style.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  32. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

These are my 3 most recent acquisitions.

This was done by Rhys Cooper. It went on sale a couple days ago but I wasn't able to score it in time so I had to get it off eBay.

[​IMG]

This one has been out for a while but I was dragging my * to get it and it sold out so I too grabbed it off eBay. It's done by Joshua Budich.

[​IMG]

Lastly I've had these on order for a month and just waiting for them to arrive. They're 3 separate posters measuring 14x30 and signed by Danny Miller and Greg Nicotero.

[​IMG]

33. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

I love see drew struzan and Warhol's influence on all of the posters .

-James

34. aeonpulse

Love the Mad Max print, the Walking Dead ones are pretty neat, but 14x30 is going to be a ***** to frame.

35. aeonpulse

36. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Yeah, not looking forward to trying to frame them. I might see what Michaels has available.

I have a guy offering me a Jeff Proctor TMNT print for $200 but that is double what I usually like to spend on a print. I want it very badly but at the same time I have my Dave Rapoza TMNT prints also.

37. aeonpulse

I scored the Proctor TMNT print from Mondo when it originally dropped, I held on to it for a few weeks, but ended up selling it on expressobeans.com for 85 bucks. After I recieved it in the mail and stuck it in a frame, I decided I didn't like it very much. (Looked a bit too much like Leo was getting orally peasured, didn't like the title font, didn't like the blotted ink effect near the top, thought it could have used a bit more color...) If I still had it, I would have sold it to you for way cheaper than 200! Not worth it in my opinion.

The Rhys Cooper TMNT set is what I consider the "Holy Grail" of TMNT posters. I would LOVE to get my hands on a them.

The really great thing about Cooper's set is that they're all 12x36, which is a breeze to frame. :)
    [​IMG]

38. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

39. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Mondo E.T. posters

Will they be for sale? And if so, where? I didn't see anything posted via the link.

40. Vivek

41. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Mondo is doing 7 posters for the Avengers and just released their first two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. Vivek

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/223108622111084544
    "Look for a game-changing Mondo exclusive on BAD at 5:30pm Pacific."

From Mondo's Facebook page:

"As part of their exclusive coverage of this year's San Diego Comic Con, we're happy to announce Machinima's three part look at Mondo, the famed collectible art boutique of the Alamo Drafthouse and the reproduction of Drew Struzan's classic poster for John Carpenter's The Thing. Each episode will air during their live Comic-Con coverage starting Thursday, July 12th from 5:00pm-7:00pm PST and ending on Saturday July 14th. At an undisclosed time, we will be revealing a poster live on the stream so be sure to tune in to Machinimalive.com for a drop. Be sure to follow @mondonews & @machinima_com for updates!"

So looks like Mondo might announce posters for a video game license.

Mondo To Sell New, And Old, Posters At Comic-Con: Plus ‘Back To The Future’ and ‘Lord of the Rings’ Updates
    Mondo has renewed their BTTF poster license for 3 more years. Plans to have a poster release on Oct 21, 2015 as well.

43. aeonpulse

Let's hope Mondo secured the rights to actually use the actor's likenesses this time. Otherwise we'll most likely be seeing more underwhelming releases.

44. Vivek

Yeah I hope so too, at least for MJF and Chris Lloyd. But I am optimistic as Mattel and Hot Toys already got it. Also in the last few years MJF (and his people) have become more lenient in approving his likeness.

45. aeonpulse

46. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just picked up one myself, hoping to score the golden ticket as well, but I know those changes are SLIM!

47. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Anyone lucky enough to grab one of these? I had a friend snag me one and sending it to me

[​IMG]

They were signed and limited to 375 and given out at random times at the Mondo and WB booth at SDCC

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  48. aeonpulse

Nope, I had a few friends of friends at SDCC, asked them to swing by the Mondo booth to pick me up a copy of Olly Moss' "Princess Mononoke", and check out what else they had there. They all told me the lines were too long, so unfortunately I missed out on a bunch of awesome limited prints. Had I been able to go to SDCC myself, it wouldn't have been a problem! :) I live in VA though, so it would have been quite a trek.

*. Had I the money/time off, I would have went myself. I want this print SO BAD!

Regular edition:

[​IMG]

Variant edition:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  49. tonykch

tonykch Well-Known Member

I managed to snag one of the Danny Miller "Long Live Lo Pan" prints off of ebay.yesterday. I have been looking for this one for a long time.

50. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That last batman poster and the Princess Mononoke are going for crazy prices on ebay. I've never "flipped" a poster before as a geek art lover, its just a crushing image to think of. I managed to snag some of the Adv. Time and Game of Thrones posters but sadly missed out on those 2 above, with the prices they are going for, I probably won't be acquiring them anytime soon.