MonCal TIE Helmet - Additions..

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by tubachris85x, Jul 16, 2015.

1. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a particularly informative thread, but wanted to share this last piece I got to work on for a local. He's been trooping in it for awhile now but wanted to add some of the accent markings seen on the originals. While no single helmet had all of these accents, this is what he wanted. Doing a bit of research determined humbrol #53 Gunmetal to be what was more than likely used for the originals, hand painted of course...so that's what I did! Owner was very happy with the results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-TC

jkno and Blue Leader like this.
  2. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks excellent. I also went with Humbrol 53 on my SDS after a bit of research. I nearly used Rover Gunmetal spray which is very close if you prefer to spray it on, but in the end I decided brushing was the only way to go.

I love how the silver details really bring the helmets to life.
    [​IMG]

tubachris85x and jkno like this.
  3. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work. Gotta' love the Tie pilot lids.

4. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

Why did AA add that extra small greeblie on the side of his TIE helmets? Was it on some but not all the originals for ANH?

5. kurtyboy

He didn't add it, I did, just because I had some spare vintage parts and I liked the look of them on the original prototype helmet.

I also replaced the imperial discs, forehead greeblies and 'pill box' with original vintage parts, and the trident with Moncal's.

6. deadvision

deadvision Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To you guys that hand painted the details. I've been having trouble spraying mine. No matter how I tried it causes the paint to crack. How hard is it to control the thickness while painting?

7. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What kind of paint are you using?

8. deadvision

deadvision Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Krylon fusion black. No problems there. But when I lay the duplicolor gunmetal it cracks horribly. I've tried 3 different times. Figured they would behave well since krylon owns duplicolor. Definitely going to have to handpaint.

9. kurtyboy

I avoid mixing different types/brands to be on the safe side. Only seems to happen with sprays.

tubachris85x likes this.