Moldy paper tutorial

I don't know about you, but I can't consistently spatter watercolor. Also, the ink chunks create a darker center and a lighter ring -- more like real mold.

i wish i would have had this guide a few years back when i made my "book o de dead". i just went with TONS of tea, soaked the pages, and left various ones outside (above bugs) with little bits of bread and sugar on top for a week or so.

lots o mold that way, and the prop stank so damned bad i sold it.

great tutorial.
chris

Hydin -- one of the secrets I don't mention in the tutorial is to rub the backs of your pages with rosin (like you get for a violin bow). It gives the pages a GOOD smell that is often equated with age.

The Book of the Dead SHOULD smell bad ;)

Well, I always hated when people would mention an awesome product and then not show you where to get it. I actually get my walnut ink from an extremely well-stocked scrapbook store. They sell the luggage stamps as well, and bags of watch faces, sealing wax, etc.

It's sometimes hard to deal with the help -- they're all about scrappin', but they've given me good suggestions on distressing paper and such.

The rosin trick is actually an old magicians trick for using props in a performance. Smell can create such a strong mental image, it really helps when creating "props" that have a prediction or whatnot on 'em.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back