molding question?

thebeastwithin

hey all,

i need som ewords of wisdom on moldmaking.... i am in the process of making my first mold out of silicone with a 1 piece mother mold, thought the silicone has arrived, the ultra-cal 30 won't arrive for another few weeks... so, can i start the silicone layering without demolding and just leave it till i get the ultra-cal here and on to the cast?????

plz help, sincerely,
-zach

right well to start i normaly only use rvt but silicone is silicone i take it you have got thickso as well to thicken the silicone well with the rtv i start with just usesing the silicone with out the thicksotopic then brush two layers on the sculpt for the print coat then after the 2 layers are dry i then mix more silicone but with the thickso i only use a teaspone of this in all to help you out your best bet is to watch the videos on youtube there helped me out a lot

no... see i have rtv as well.... the question is can i start layering it on without the ultra-cal here yet, or should i wait and make sure i do it all at once

You can, but why do you want to? What if your sculpt takes a knock while waiting for the mother mold? The silicone won't protect it, and now your sculpt is damaged and the mold ruined.

So no, while there is no reason not to put the silicone on now from a technical, "will the silicone damage the sculpt or vice versa" point of view, I personally would wait until you have all the materials at hand to do it in one go. What are you molding?

You can, but why do you want to? What if your sculpt takes a knock while waiting for the mother mold? The silicone won't protect it, and now your sculpt is damaged and the mold ruined.

So no, while there is no reason not to put the silicone on now from a technical, "will the silicone damage the sculpt or vice versa" point of view, I personally would wait until you have all the materials at hand to do it in one go. What are you molding?

oh.. ok, thank you :D

and as far as what i'm molding, it's an upper body "armor" that i've been working on for about 2.5-3 months and i'm finally in site of the finish line

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back