Molding and casting resin replica bullets?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by MFP 2020, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Searched here, but didn't find what I was looking for. Searching Google comes up with endless links for casting lead bullets. So at the risk of sounding like a total noob...

I have some vintage ammunition that I want to replicate in resin (but I'm open to suggestions). The most important part to replicate is the headstamp (the stamped letters on bottom of the brass case around the primer); the rest I can "fix in the mix."

I have a basic understanding of the molding and casting process, but the only molding materials I have experience with are plaster of paris, self-curing latex, and molding putty from Michael's. I've cast some badges and belt buckles in resin.

I'll probably be casting 5 to 10 rounds, so a 3x3x3" block (ballpark) mold should be plenty. The most logical place to put a seam is between the body and the base of the brass; I can pour from the bullet end and round off the cast after it's cured.

I've been looking at Smooth-On's site and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm thinking that once the bullets are cast, I can either spray the brass parts with a metallic spray paint or use Rub-n-Buff if I really want to make the extra effort. Again, open to suggestions.

That said, here are my pressing questions: Is there a specific silicone compound you'd recommend for molding? How would you cast them, if not the way I described? And is there another resource I can refer to about the molding process itself (if not Smooth-On's site)?

Thanks! Of course I'll post pix when appropriate.

2. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

I would cast the Brass and buy real bullets heads. you didnt say what caliber it is, but it should be able to be found. any smooth-on silicone will work, buy a starter kit and have at it. just mix correctly and pour. you cant ruin the brass. best way to learn jump in and try.

3. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

I did some resin bullets years ago, (sorry, no pics) I put a sprue cone on the nose of the bullet (since they were going to be hollowpoints, I cut the sprue after molding and drilled the hole) then using a plastic tube, did a one-pour silicone mold, and cut the mold in half with an exacto. the cut jagged edge acts as the key register, and the plastic tube acted as the case.

Used rub-n-buff to finish.

4. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've cast various bullets in silicone to make resin duplicates. I sprinkled metallic powder in the mold and shook it around and dumped out excess, then poured the resin. Not quite as shiny as real brass, but worked pretty well.