Molding: Air bubbles?

Scrapps

So, I find a lot of stuff on how to avoid air bubbles but I'm molding right now and I'm pretty sure I've got a few. It's my first time doing a plaster mold and it started hardening on me and I kind of panicked and tried to slather it on as fast as possible. Unfortunately, that left it kind of jagged. I'm sure I must have a couple of air bubbles in there. I tried to smooth them out the best I could with the next layer.

I'm sure that the detail layer is just fine. Most of the air bubbles will likely be right after the detail layer around and between the first burlap layer. I'm not sure if there is anything I can really do about it now. I spent a lot of time on my first sculpt and I'd hate to see it go to waste. Would air bubbles in this location cause any serious harm to the final mold? If so, how can I fix it?

I think I got the hang of it now but what's done is done. Right now, all I really can do is make sure the rest of the burlap layers are solid, maybe put a few more layers if this is a case of "more is better". I'm not sure what else I can do. At least most of the possible damage is in the back where it'll be covered by the dreads.

I'm taking a break and I'll be getting back to it once I calm down a bit. As usual, any help would be appreciated.
~Scrapps.

it kind of depends how thick your detail layer is. if it is thin and there is an airpocket right behind the thin spot, it could possibly collapse and you will have a pocket. this happened with my last mold. i had to refill some of the pockets. i used some sculpting epoxy so that i could resculpt the details.

it kind of depends how thick your detail layer is. if it is thin and there is an airpocket right behind the thin spot, it could possibly collapse and you will have a pocket. this happened with my last mold. i had to refill some of the pockets. i used some sculpting epoxy so that i could resculpt the details.

What kind of sculpting epoxy are we talking about here? Hopefully something that's at the hardware store that I don't have to order.

yeah i actually picked it up at the local hardware store. it's a two part clay like substance. knead em together and sculpt em in.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back