Molding a real gun, looking for help.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

formula388

I am looking for some help molding and casting a real revolver so I can display it as a prop. Specifically, I want a replica of Biffs S&W .38spl from BTTF.
I currently have the real gun setup as it was in the movie except mine is not stainless steel like Biffs. I want to know what steps should be taken so that I get a clean mold and don't harm my revolver in the making.
I realize this will be a two part mold, clay the bottom, create keys for the top half etc... I saw in one video someone put an earplug in the barrel, should I do that to both ends of the barrel as well as the revolver cylinders? what about moving components? Does anyone have any recommendations on what materials I should use for the mold and or cast?
I am excited to add another prop to my BTTF collection!
Thanks,
Dennis

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DrewSmith007

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started that thread, and since then I've molded the S&W revolver. I used alumilite silicone from hobby lobby, and it turned out pretty well. I used clay and aluminum tape to seal up all the holes, and it still had silicone everywhere I didn't want it. I had to remove the cover plate to clean it all out. I didn't even attempt the cylinder, as I didn't really need it for what I'm working on. I might cast it as a seperate part if I did it again today.