Molding A figurine

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

strigoi

Years ago I used to sculpt but a lot of things got in the way so I had to stop and now I want to get back into it. I want to start small and make my way up to more complex 12-18 inch figurines. The problem I am running into would be how to mold them. I have been searching the internet for a few weeks but can't find the answers I am looking for so I am coming here for a little help. The figure I eventually want to sculpt will be around 18 inches tall and be pretty complex (thin spikes out of the back, long clawed hands etc) First I want to know do I NEED to sculpt it on an armature or is it just recommended? Also what would be the best way to mold it? A Block mold, a 2 part silicone mold, or should I sculpt it in sculpey and then bake and make a mold that way (since the complexity of the scuplt) and it might be easier or should I brake it into pieces and mold them seperate? Also the armatures I am finding mainly are like this http://www.sculpturehouse.com/Figure-Armature--15.aspx. If I use one of those how would I get that piece in the back off so I can make a mold or are there different kinds out there. Any info would be greatly appreicated

Jeff

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.