Mold-Making with Ultra Cal 30 Gypsum Cement?

Blade3327

Sr Member
Hey, guys.

I'm going to soon buy various mask-making materials from the Monster Makers website (they've got the goods, so I've heard). With the exception of a cheap styrofoam head, it'll be my one-stop shop. I'm feelin' pretty confident in my sculpting abilities, and I've never done something quite large scale, so this is my first Pred head I'm planning. Like I said, though: I'm feeling good, eager, and informed on just about every part of the process -- except for the molding part.

Lemme see if I've got this straight:

1. Sculpt the mask onto the head
2. Coat it with the Ultra Cal 30 Gypsum Cement (from Monster Makers)
3. Wait for coat to harden and remove
4. Paint the inside of the mold with latex or pour some in and swish it around (either way works, so my questions don't pertain to this part)

My point is, what exactly do I do with the Gypsum? Is it soft? Do I need water? Do I simply coat my mask with a good strong 2" layer of it? Will it damage or flatten the clay underneath? Do I peel it? Do I coat my clay with anything else before applying the Gypsum (for easy release)?
What exactly is the full process of using the Ultra Cal 30 Gypsum Cement with my mask? Could I get a step-by-step of what it is I'm supposed to do to use it, prepare it, coat it, etc.?

This is the only part of the process I still am not sure about. As soon as I can get this figured out, I'm going to purchase the materials and be on my way to creating some heads.

Thanks in advance.

Hey mate I need to do the same process as well I'm currently finishing my sculpt out of clay of an upper body skin I'm going to use ultra cal 30 like you for mine
you will need to box your mask in with a retaining wall around your mask then you will need water based clay to make keys on your mask and a retaining wall so you can pour
the ultracal on your mask making a two part mold you use krylon clear gloss paint for an release agent for your clay when your first part that you poured in dries flip it over
and pull the wall of clay out of the box then coat on some Vaseline also known as petroleum jelly on the ultracal part and spray your clay release agent on your clay then pour
in the 2nd part of your mold and wait till dries and yes ultra cal needs to be mixed with water that's all the info i know hope it helps.good luck :D and for better referance check
this website out it shows you step by step http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/evilash/main.html

order the book that monstermakers sells on how to make a mask. it has all the steps with pictures. you can also check youtube for alot of smooth-on videos.

but the book is great.

Hey, guys.

I'm going to soon buy various mask-making materials from the Monster Makers website (they've got the goods, so I've heard). With the exception of a cheap styrofoam head, it'll be my one-stop shop. I'm feelin' pretty confident in my sculpting abilities, and I've never done something quite large scale, so this is my first Pred head I'm planning. Like I said, though: I'm feeling good, eager, and informed on just about every part of the process -- except for the molding part.

Lemme see if I've got this straight:

1. Sculpt the mask onto the head
2. Coat it with the Ultra Cal 30 Gypsum Cement (from Monster Makers)
3. Wait for coat to harden and remove
4. Paint the inside of the mold with latex or pour some in and swish it around (either way works, so my questions don't pertain to this part)

My point is, what exactly do I do with the Gypsum? Is it soft? Do I need water? Do I simply coat my mask with a good strong 2" layer of it? Will it damage or flatten the clay underneath? Do I peel it? Do I coat my clay with anything else before applying the Gypsum (for easy release)?
What exactly is the full process of using the Ultra Cal 30 Gypsum Cement with my mask? Could I get a step-by-step of what it is I'm supposed to do to use it, prepare it, coat it, etc.?

This is the only part of the process I still am not sure about. As soon as I can get this figured out, I'm going to purchase the materials and be on my way to creating some heads.

Thanks in advance.

Ultracal 30 is mostly like plaster, except it's a different formulation. Actually, it's kind of a hybrid of plaster and Portland cement, to explain it vaguely. The process is roughly like this:
1. Make a dividing wall with water-based clay so you can create a two-piece mold that you can later take apart The dividing wall is just a temporary fixture.
2. Mix the Ultracal 30 with water. Start with some amount of water, then sift Ultracal 30 into it until the water stops absorbing any more cement. It'll sort of look like a dry lake bed at that point.
3. Brush the Ultracal 30 onto one half of the sculpture to create a detail coat. Basically, you want to cover all of the clay with the gypsum so it'll fit into all of the detail that you put into the sculpture. When you do this, it won't damage the clay underneath or flatten it -- it's forming a shell over your sculpture that supports itself, without harming the sculpture.
4. At this point, you can add a little more Ultracal 30 and sort of drip it onto the sculpture. This is to smooth it out and thicken things up in preparation for the burlap layer, next.
5. Once you've covered one half of your sculpture with the thin brush coat of Ultracal, you need to put on a couple more layers to give it strength. You should reinforce those layers with strips of burlap dipped in the Ultracal mixture. (It's sort of like the rebar that they use to reinforce concrete.) Two layers of burlap coats are sufficient, except for your dividing wall, where you'll need three layers. The stronger, the better.
6. You should get the Ultracal layer about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick on your sculpture. After all the layers have dried, you can remove the water-based clay dividing wall. This will form the seam where the two halves of your mold will be taken apart. Make sure you cover the front half of the seam with Vaseline, or it won't release!
7. Cover the other side of the sculpture with the brush coat of Ultracal 30, followed by the drip coat and two layers of burlap.
8. Once everything has dried, you can pry the two halves of the mask apart at the seam, then remove the mold from your sculpture. Your sculpture will undoubtedly be damaged in the process, but you're now ready to do the latex casting.

Oh, and to answer a previous question: You should do your sculpture with an oil-based clay. You can spray it with a clear sealer (like Krylon) to make sure the clay doesn't stick to the plaster.

Here's a quick tutorial on how I did my Godzilla mask.
Here's a much more detailed tutorial on how I did my Gamera mask.

Hey mate I need to do the same process as well I'm currently finishing my sculpt out of clay of an upper body skin I'm going to use ultra cal 30 like you for mine
you will need to box your mask in with a retaining wall around your mask then you will need water based clay to make keys on your mask and a retaining wall so you can pour
the ultracal on your mask making a two part mold you use krylon clear gloss paint for an release agent for your clay when your first part that you poured in dries flip it over
and pull the wall of clay out of the box then coat on some Vaseline also known as petroleum jelly on the ultracal part and spray your clay release agent on your clay then pour
in the 2nd part of your mold and wait till dries and yes ultra cal needs to be mixed with water that's all the info i know hope it helps.good luck :D and for better referance check
this website out it shows you step by step http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/evilash/main.html

Actually, I wouldn't recommend boxing the mold in with a retaining wall. That will just use a lot more Ultracal 30. Using the burlap reinforcement method I suggested is the best way to make a strong sculpture. I read the Evil Ash tutorial, and the difficulty they had with their mask was that it wasn't reinforced.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back