Moebius Models Iron Man Mk VI

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Muzza, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

1/8 scale Moebius Iron Man fitted with 5 LED lights 2 for the eyes, one for the chest and one in each hand. An easy kit to build and paint with some great detail, I still have a wash to apply to bring out the detail to his arms and chest and some silver to a couple of spots.
    I have wired the LEDs to a plug in the base and connected with a 3V battery.
    The figure stands 10 1/2" - 267mm tall incuding the base.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Sweet..... Now if only you could apply this energy into dalek building. I've seen this up close folks and the pix just don't do it justice.

3. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Muzza,

That looks really nice.. Great paint job and lighting!! If I may ask one question did you cut the inner chest triangle out to get the led in there? Since the model was made or cast with the half circle fitting right behind the chest.. I have been wondering where or what to remove for the light without messing up the lighting.

Again looks really nice..

Mike

4. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Mike,

I had to drill though the main body right be hind the ARC reactor in the chest armor.
    the cest armor has a triangle already cut into it and the they give you the white triangle to go in it.
    Do you have the kit already?
    I did use some special LED for the hands and eyes.

thank you for your kind comments

Muzza

5. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Yes, I have the kit I cut all the parts off the spruce last night sanded a little and washed everything. I see where they have the triangle on the inner chest piece that would need cut but I want to try and keep the fitting behind it. I thought of not lighting the kit but after seeing how good yours looks I thought again.. I ordered two small leds for the hands a large one for the chest and will put a med in the head for the eyes.. I was going to use a little clear blue around the edges of the eyes.

What color red did you use this is the first model that I am going for shine non flat star wars look..

Again looks great! If mine turns out decent I may even order the older kit..

6. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Mike,
    The colour was the Tamyia matalic red and gold and AS-12 for the silver all spray cans
    Plus I have coated it with one can of Tamyia gloss clear.

The LED I used for the hands are a small flat square type I will post some pics tonight of the LEDs

7. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Cool, thanks for all the info.. I would like to check the lights out that you used. Gonna pick up some more paint this weekend and hope I get sometime to airbrush a few coats on.. Again I am glad I got to see your build before building my own.. Thanks for posting.

8. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

These are the LEDs I used for the hands and behind the eyes. You dont have to use them behind the eyes as ther is enough room to use conventional Led Lamps, but these are the only ones that would fit in the hands.
    I used a 5mm for the chest.

9. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Wow, those are some small LEDs, the ones I used were a little bigger and I had to use the dremmel a bit in each hand to make room.. I orderd mine before this post and wish I would have gottten ones like these but managed to fanangle mine in the hands and was able to snap them together.. I am getting ready to paint now.

10. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

I just applied another two coats of gloss to mine (shiny)

11. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Dude, that's awesome. :love

12. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

post more pics!! I want to see that shine.. Hope its ok I have another thread but I will post a pic here of mine in a few of where I'm at.

Thanks,

Mike

13. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

14. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Mike it is looking good what red did you use?

15. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I used a Boyd Red from MM. I thinned the paint real good the pics I posted are hours after I painted so and still have a wet look.. Thanks, its been a fun build I hope I still get that metal look and all syncs together then I can't wait to clear coat.

16. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

I just saw some clips of the Avengers movie and noticed some gold on his back as well what a * looks like some more masking, paiting and clear coating in my future.

17. nolatron

nolatron New Member

I've been thinking about picking one of these kits up and have been wondering if it's possible to light it up. Looks like it is! From most I've seen so far, I thought that chest triangle and hand circles were molded right into the pieces but glad to hear they have separate white pieces that can be lit from behind.

Fantastic looking models! Can't wait to pick one up now.

18. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Just remember there is not alot of room behind the hands that is why I used the flat square LED lights.

19. JP Modelworks

JP Modelworks Active Member

Looking good!

20. nolatron

nolatron New Member

Yeah. They look like 3mm(?) square?

Was there a particular color you used? I know some leds have the white, super bright, etc...

I don't wanna get something too bright and turn his eyes into little flashlights, heh.

21. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I used 1.8mm led lights for the hands and went bigger for the eyes and chest I had to do a good bit a cutting but did not effect the physical look of the shields or hands.. I managed to sqeeze the lights in there and I am pleased with the overall look..

Huge learning curve for me as I switched my orginal colors used and went with a more standard gold and insignia red.

I bought my led's prior to Muzza shwing me the flat one's he used and it was tough but I did manage to get the 1.88mm regular in..

Some pics of my finished work, enjoy.

Thanks always!

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    Your Iron Man looks fantastic lighting it up makes it realy pop.

Nice work.

23. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

The LED's are not super bright I bought them off Ebay and they come in a strip of 50, I am not sure of the mcd's.
    I had also used them for back lighting of windows as well.

24. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Thanks Muzza for the all the nice things said and I think both models look great I found it a little confliting when trying to find the correct images for the detail. Some of the pictures the legs had the bit of red in them like you painted and others solid gold I guess it really does not matter that much but finding a good picture of the entire suite under google images was challenging..

Again thanks!

25. BenCozine

BenCozine Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't do figure kits at all, but this kit is very cool. Great paint job and lighting.

26. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

BenCozine,

This was the first figure model that I have done actually its the first non-starwars model/scratchbuild and really enjoyed painting this. The first kit that I wanted shine and used a clear coat on. The company Moebius really seems to make some nice kits. This was a great build.

Thanks,

Mike

27. 0406lance

0406lance New Member

thats so cool bro!:):thumbsup

28. CSwick2

CSwick2 New Member

Ok, I registered here in order to comment on this, and to ask a question lol So , first thing's first...

Both of the models shown here are superbly executed! Great job!

Second, Muzza, you said something in the first post about wiring to a plug in the base? Does that mean Iron Man is removable from his base in your configuration? Or is he hardwired to it?

I'm asking because I'm currently building this kit and would love to have him be removable/light up when connected to it. I'm going to be powering it via USB (5.1V)

Edit : Actually I have another question lol, from my viewpoint, the eye part that comes with the kit is far too thick for light to shine through...what did y'all use to solve that??

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  29. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I don't remember the eyepart really being thicker than the other white plastic parts. I used a little thin styrene and glued it arcoss the inside of the head and then cut small slits to hold the wire so both LED's were stable and pointing directly at the eyes. I used one LED for each eye. The only thing I wish I did different was to paint the edges around the eyes before I put the sillly putty in as a mask. This is something I still need to touch up.

Thanks, glad you like them and welcome to the forum!!

Mike

30. CSwick2

CSwick2 New Member

Thanks!

I actually bought some clear plastic sheet, which I guess a bit of sand-paper would scuff up nice enough for light to disperse....But I'll probably end up painting it white lol

I've got a 5mm normal LED for the arc-reactor, and then the tiny SMD (which are a pain to solder....) LEDs for the eyes and hands. I'm hoping I won't have to replace all of the kit's white plastic pieces with the thin plastic sheeting but I want him to glow properly.

My other idea would be to glue in the plastic sheet and then pour some MicroScale Kristal Klear in mixed with a bit of white paint to make the eyes into "windows"....but idk if that will work.

31. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

To CSwick2

Iron Man is not removable from the base the wiring is through his leg and the plug is mounted into the base. The battery is pluged into the base.

Muzza

32. CSwick2

CSwick2 New Member

Ah ok, thank you.

I guess I will just wire him to the base then. There's no point in making him removable anyway really I suppose. I won't need an on/off switch either since I'm powering it via USB.

Thanks for the info!

33. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

CSwick2,

I am not sure how much experience you have lighting models but one other thing that I do is use heat shink wrap you can get at a auto parts store. I use a lighter to cover the round part of the led so that it helps control the light. I also prime and sometimes paint the inside of what I am lighting black.

34. CSwick2

CSwick2 New Member

This is actually the first model I will be lighting up. I've already got the SMD LEDs soldered to wires and will definitely be painting the inside surfaces using tamiya flat-black.

The heat-shrink idea is actually really good! I didn't think about that. I will definitely be using that to further control light-bleed (this kit has a lot of tiny gaps in it) Thanks for the tip!

My original idea was to use a magnet/reed-switch and a touch connection to make Iron Man removable from his base, but it doesn't seem practical given that it's not a "toy" and nobody should be touching it anyway lol

If you don't mind my asking, how did y'all fit all of the wiring for the power inside the base? I might have to cut out a slot to mount the USB port into...but there's not much space in there :-/

35. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

The way I ran the wires was down through the one foot I cut an extra hole then glued him to the base. I then drilled a hole for a simple little on/off switch in the base. but the wires continue on out from under the base to a 9V power source. I thought about making a box to match the look of the base to hide the battery but something that I just never got around to.

If you really want to put some extra time in simply add a bottom to the base with styrene and raise the entire thing two inches or so.. make certain to put supports across and cut out a hole in the styrene. You could research different movie clips and even make it into a diorama.

Hope this helps, Muzza gave me some good insite on my build and it really helps to see how others do things first. Get ideas and then make it your own good luck and post some pics..

Thanks,,

Mike

36. CSwick2

CSwick2 New Member

So you drilled out the foot-peg? Interesting. I hadn't really considered that.

I will definitely have to raise the base a bit. Might make a light-up "Stark Industries" logo to make it look like more than a box lol

Any suggestions/recommendations for what styrene I should use? I'm kinda (insanely) new to scratch-building lol

My camera isn't the best (smartphone camera), but I do plan on taking pictures. I will definitely post them either here or on my DeviantArt page. I have two there already but they aren't much to show lol they are here: Iron Man Mk VI Model Kit by FMHQBattousai on deviantART in case anyone's interested.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  37. MTCOOLJ

MTCOOLJ Active Member

Hey there guys, question, did you use a putty filler for seams and if so what brand. And second, I have my red color picked out but I'm still stuck on the gold and silver.. I was actually thinking about matching the gold used on my masked rider ironman mark vi helm.. any feedback would be much appreciated

38. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

MTCOOLJ,

Hey, glad that you are building this kit I really like having it displayed. I was told in another thread of a gold that is sold at an auto store but could not find it. Then I tried aztek gold rattle can by model master that did not look right. I repainted using gold thinned a little from testers and it looked right on to me. To be honest I forget exactly what I used for the silver type/grey paint.

As far as the seams I used several different brands of putty when I started building models, Squadron, testors, I have bought a tube of Tamiya that I hear is the best but have never used it.. Now, I would really recommend Ave's epoxy or bondo tube which can be purchased at Walmart. Ave's can be purchase at there web site. Don't make the mistake that I did when I read about bondo and buy the can at the auto store that you need to mix, what a hot mess. Just stick to the tube. Get a few different grits of sandpaper 400 - 1000 and sand the seams smooth and finally wet sanding at the end.

Hope that helps I have not posted much lately I took a brake from a project that I was working on and built my son a skylander castle. Any other questions about this build just ask..

I saw Muzza had his displayed at a model show I was glad to see it among the other models..

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  39. MTCOOLJ

MTCOOLJ Active Member

Hey there Mike, thanks for getting back to me. Just one more question and I think I'm ready to go :D where would be a appropriate place to pickup the l.e.d.s I'm shooting for a blue glow in the eyes but a white glowing effect in the repulsors and arc reactor. Let me know when you can.

Thank you
    Mtcoolj

40. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I usually buy from super bright leds online although I was told that ebay is cheaper the problem there is sometimes on ebay it just takes time that I don't have.. I used two white leds in the eyes you could add a blue one or use Tamiya clear blue paint over the edges of the eyes.

Thanks!

41. Coredian Dallas

Coredian Dallas New Member

Hi all, i know this is an old topic, but i just got me this model and as looking for some tips and i found this one here.
    Can someone help me with ordering the right leds for this model? I was looking at superbrightleds.com but would need help with choosing the right ones. I live in London UK so it must be done once and good.
    Thx for your help.

42. Yarooon

Yarooon Sr Member

thanks for showing this kit i have the warmachine and i was debating if i should buy this one too
    It looks really good
    here is a picture of mine 255701_10200637081582622_238498966_n.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  43. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I was never real happy with the base and just having the wire's hang out of the bottom. I was going to build the base up but I came up with this idea and created a new display base using Styrofoam, Plaster of Paris, a cigar box, styrene and various paints including some of Tamiya clear paint. Here is a few pictures. Thanks for checking it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]