Moebius Jupiter 2 with mega detailing

Tim Nolan

This is the second of these big ships I have built. This one just sold and went to New York, the first one is residing in California. They feature enhanced lighting kits from Randy Neubert at VoodooFx, cast resin figures from Crows Nest, photoetch parts from Paragrafix, and almost 200 hours of detailing work by myself. There isn't one panel in this ship that has not been modified. Moebius did a superb job with this kit, and we're lucky to have so many aftermarket parts at our fingertips to super detail it with!!!

311.jpg

314.jpg

003-8.jpg

008-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

009-6.jpg

013-7.jpg

034.jpg

035-1.jpg

It's the tiny lights that really make it pop from other build ups I've seen. Wish there were figures that actually had detailed faces with accurate likenesses...

BTW, that's no slight on what you've done with your model... it's gorgeous, I think I was just thinking out loud. I DO know we're lucky to have the aftermarket figures we do have.

I agree - amazing detail work!! I thought the same thing about the figured though (again, not a slight on the project at all though).

What a cool piece!!

Hey no problem guys! Thanks for the kudos! Even Drew from Crow's Nest kind of balked when he got a look at them under the macro-lens!!! I maybe could have puttied them up a bit more, but honestly, you don't see it much when your eyeballing them 1:1. I still firmly believe that any figures really bring so many of these builds to life. I've used Drews figures in the LIS Chariot (2 more to go) and will in the upcoming Flying Sub build I will be starting. Great stuff.

The lighting, as tedious as it can be, also really adds so much to this model. The kit is great right out of the box, but it's just begging to be lit, and they certainly designed the kit to accept a large amount of it. There's over 1500 ft. of fiber optics in this build, and over 50 LED's.

first, amazing build...thanks for posting pics.

second, i agree with you that this type of model BEGS for figures, and i think crow's figures are fine. i put a set of his in my CHARIOT model because otherwise the model is so sterile without them...and, after all, as much as we love the hardware, the characters are what truly gave the show it's soul.

i also agree that it is unfair to judge the figures under such close scrutiny -- when looking at the model in person, such "up close" details fade away.

that said, i also agree it sure would be nice to have figs with exact actors' likenesses, but as that is unlikely to ever happen, i vote for these figures over no figures...but hey, that's just me....but it does give the ship "life."

nice paint job on the figs, by the way --good match on that velour coloring!

Aw hell, you've seen my stuff so much your probably sick of it! LOL! Hey congrats on your magazine coverage on yours, well deserved! Have you started another one yet?

I never get sick of excellent builds my friend!!Again great work by a hell of a nice guy!

Haven't started another...yet LOL! Currently working on an MPC Falcon!

Yes ,Tim beautiful build ,my father recently just got the Moebius Metal J2 ,with extraordinary detail , yours is quite remarkable ,love your work, detail is amazing.......

I'm sitting here looking at the Moebius 18" kit box right now as I have been pondering as to just how much lighting and detail I want to add. Fusion core of course, lit freezer tubes and Astrogator and lots of little fibre for the control panels. It'll be a while before I get to it but I like to have it all rolling about in my head.

When you open that box for the first time it's like "wow, this is a HUGE kit in comparison with the old PL J2", and then when you start to look at the level of detail as well as how it all goes together, it's quite an impressive piece of plastic! I have to say, it's my very favorite kit I have ever built in all of my years of modeling, and that's a LOT of kits! Thanks for the nice comments.

I haven't seen the metal J2 in person, but the gentleman who bought my last build has it, and he says it's very nice too.

A question for lighting pros: I bought the paragraphix aftermarket brass-etched kit. I wanted to light up the flight console by feeding fiber optic strands from a light source to the underside of the flight console and through each hole. But, my god, those individual holes are TINY. Does anyone have a link to a thread or video that shows how someone lit their Moebius, J2 flight console? Thanks!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back