Moebius has the 2001 License!

Richard Baker

Sr Member
Big new from 1016 Wonderfest- Moebius Models has acquired the license to produce styrene model kits from '2001: A Space Odyssey'
This was considered by most to be impossible to to all the different people in control of the license.

As of now the only plans are to re-release the Moonbus kit (which Moebius reverse engineered from a reference kit and provided accurate windows as an option), the Orion III Space Plane (a new tool based on the old Aurora kit with a lot of changes). The Orion will have some additional alterations on it's re-release.

A Discovery kit was mentioned but things are still in the very early planning stages right now.

Still very big news- the possibility of having all new styrene kits from this movie- Moebius a history of making accurate model kits with the builder in mind- extra clear pieces and parts breakdown for lighting, early review kits for aftermarket people to start working on so photoetch and enhancements can be ready when the kit debuts- I am very happy they got the license.

Didn't they have the license before? I could've sworn I bought an Orion a few months back that was produced by them.

Either way, cool!

Awesome news! So many Grail kits. Discovery, Aries, Space Station V, excursion pods... hell yeah!

It's amazing to see a model company that actually wants to MAKE model kits (cough-cough Round 2 cough).

I've always liked 2001, but never enough to spend the cash on kits that were awesome but awesomely priced or reasonably priced but not up to snuff. With Moebius doing them - I'll get them. What they have done with the Galactica kits was off the chain... and I'm 100% positive they will do 2001 justice. I really hope they do a discovery in the 2 ft. range. Big enough to have all the detail you'd want but small enough that its not hard to find a spot for it.

Jedi Dade

I am a big fan of this movie- I got to see it on first release in Cinerama and it made a very big impression on me
I have the Atomic City 1/12 Space Pod (which is a fantastic kit with lightable interior) in my stash and the new 15" Aries 1b prepaid (still waiting for it to be cast and shipped). Despite this rather sizable investments if Moebius releases their versions of these subjects I will buy them in a heartbeat.

The film features some of the best thought out designs of near future spacecraft to grace the screen and showed them being used practically. Working in space looked real. Moebius is an exceptional company who designs models for us- not just the casual builders but those who want to take something to the next level. This announcement is as fantastic as when they revealed they had a Proteus in the works for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back