Moebius Deluxe Jupiter 2 Replica

No display base is OK I guess, as well as no display case.... Moebius advised us ages ago that there wouldn't be any of these. I had a glass display case built especially for mine with anodized silver finish aluminum framing. Still waiting for the Jupiter though. Inside the display case I am using an alien landscape poster on the background panel. For the "ground" or base of the display case I am keeping it simple... plain matt black "tarmac" with an 18inch diameter yellow circle, similar to the landing pad in the Lost in Space episode 'The Ghost Planet'. :love

Also... a website has been around for at least 18months taking preorders on pretty cool display cases for 18inch Jupiter 2s or other models to display... but I am not sure what is happening with them....whether they are actually going into production of these display cases (??) I was going to get one of them, but I decided to have one built to my specs locally. Here is their link anyway.... Genesis Display Cabinets - Cabinet Customizations

Did you paint the circle for your landing pad or did you get a decal?
I don't think I could mask 2 perfect circles and paint them, so I'm
looking at a vinyl decal as an alternative.

Did you paint the circle for your landing pad or did you get a decal?
I don't think I could mask 2 perfect circles and paint them, so I'm
looking at a vinyl decal as an alternative.

For the tarmac, I bought a sheet of black plastic with a matt sheen finish, cut to size to fit in my display case. I dropped the sheet off to a printing factory/shop where they will computer print a yellow circle 25mm thick and outer diameter 18inches....on a large printing machine. I haven't got it back yet. had to choose a yellow color...sheesh... they showed me a color chart, didn't know there were so many shades of yellow on this planet.
If I did not go to a printer, I was going to paint it myself (alot of work to get the circles done right by hand I guess)... or I would have gone to a sign writer/printer and used decals...I think they are vinyl. That would probably work. When I get the job back from the computer-print people... I may apply some weathering to the circle with either dry brush and/or powder pastels to get rid of that clean look......undecided.
Also... next to the yellow circle there are three numbers or digits on the movie screen when the J2 has it's soft landing...but they are blurred I think...hard to see what those numbers are...don't know what the number is so I decided to use number 115 with yellow 25mm(1 inch) high lettering near the edge of the circle. This gives it another dimension rather than just a plain circle. Number 115 I chose because in the episode 'The Promised Planet', the landing pad circle is adjacent to the building 'Gate 115' written on the main door.
Otherwise I was going to use number 426 next to the circle (hee hee... from my favourite movie, 'Alien' planet LV-426).
:cool

Last edited:
I received mine last Thursday and the feel of the actual weight surprised me even though I knew what the weight would be. I noticed mine had a tiny but noticeable chip where the two halves are connected near the right side front window. I considered sending it back for a replacement, but being diecast, even a replacement might have a chip or two. Wonder why this was made diecast metal instead of steel or aluminium. Anyone else notice imperfections?

I received mine last Thursday and the feel of the actual weight surprised me even though I knew what the weight would be. I noticed mine had a tiny but noticeable chip where the two halves are connected near the right side front window. I considered sending it back for a replacement, but being diecast, even a replacement might have a chip or two. Wonder why this was made diecast metal instead of steel or aluminium. Anyone else notice imperfections?

Just opened mine and it has the same chip ... must be something in the tooling or finishing process producing that flaw.

Overall pretty disappointed: "debris" on the backlit screens, walls to either side of the viewport seem to have lifted from the floor (with glue now showing), superglue fingerprints around the dishes inside the top dome, one pilot seat completely crooked, and don't get me started on the finish inside the the landing gear wells (did they sandcast this stuff?!)

I could live with all of this (though, really, for $1,500 I shouldn't have to) except that the hull is badly scratched-up near the radar dome, I'm talking serious abrasion. Doesn't line-up with the "fingers" in the styrofoam insert so has to have happened at the factory.

Interior is great otherwise, nice lighting (though amazed they left the wiring visible on the ceiling).

Anyone else have these same issues? Mine is #151; were earlier or later units better? Worse?

I've written the seller to see what can be done.

Overall pretty disappointed:.... I could live with all of this (though, really, for $1,500 I shouldn't have to)
......I've written the seller to see what can be done.

Hi

Did you get a response from Moebius and/or the seller?
....Any of the items fixable...does the hull unscrew open so you can access internals to fix up?....any items fixable without returning?
I have one of these on order....awaiting shipment.
:confused

Hi

Did you get a response from Moebius and/or the seller?
....Any of the items fixable...does the hull unscrew open so you can access internals to fix up?....any items fixable without returning?
I have one of these on order....awaiting shipment.
:confused

The seller -- and they were highly apologetic for this -- passed me off to Moebius, something I pretty much predicted.

Moebius CS was very quick to respond. I supplied pics of the external damage (though I don't know that had I been unable to do that that it would have been an issue). They are providing a return tag. Upon receipt they will determine whether to repair or replace.

The distributor I bought from noted that one other customer had a problem. I know that they sold (and sold out of!) 20 units. That translates, of course, to 10% with issues. No idea if might be the trend overall.

Moebius CS was very quick to respond. I supplied pics of the external damage (though I don't know that had I been unable to do that that it would have been an issue). They are providing a return tag. Upon receipt they will determine whether to repair or replace.
That sounds like promising news...they will look after you.
Got mine today. It is all OK....No problems with it (so far).
Only minor issue...which I am not too fussed about is one of the landing foot pads is a bit skewed or crooked...still looks OK.

All the best with yours. Mine is number 90.
:love

That sounds like promising news...they will look after you.
Got mine today. It is all OK....No problems with it (so far).
Only minor issue...which I am not too fussed about is one of the landing foot pads is a bit skewed or crooked...still looks OK.

All the best with yours. Mine is number 90.
:love

Hmmm ... the pads on mine swivel so there really shouldn't be an issue of one being skewed.

For the record for anyone else reading this, no, you can't unscrew the hull to fix anything inside .... officially. But I believe you could disassemble if you wanted to; there are some sort of "sticky back" ellipses (again, stuff you shouldn't be seeing with a $1,500 investment) on the lower hull which I believe are covering the screws.

I'd like to add figures to the interior and plan to explore that option once I have a model that's in decent shape.

One other element -- not a defect, just a design issue -- that bothers me is the business of the rechargeable batteries, the inclusion of which I'm sure are why the electronics have a limited warranty. Regardless of type (that is, LiOn or NiCA), they can only be cycled so many times and will eventually stop holding a charge. Since they can't be replaced (since, again, you can't [officially] open the model), that just seems dumb.

One other element -- not a defect, just a design issue -- that bothers me is the business of the rechargeable batteries, the inclusion of which I'm sure are why the electronics have a limited warranty. Regardless of type (that is, LiOn or NiCA), they can only be cycled so many times and will eventually stop holding a charge. Since they can't be replaced (since, again, you can't [officially] open the model), that just seems dumb.

The battery is accessible and replaceable as far as I know. The Space Pod hatch is removable and gives you access to the battery which I believe is of the cordless phone variety.

The battery is accessible and replaceable as far as I know. The Space Pod hatch is removable and gives you access to the battery which I believe is of the cordless phone variety.

Yes, they supplied a little kitchen drawer pull with mine that had a
strong magnet glued onto the flat end.

You latch it onto the Space Pod door and pull it off as it is held on with
2 magnets.

The battery pack looks like a 3 cell AA or AAA pack that they use in
a lot of cordless phones. I even think it may have a 2-pin connector
that I've seen on some of my cordless phones.

Hmmm ... the pads on mine swivel so there really shouldn't be an issue of one being skewed.
......[BATTERIES]....Since they can't be replaced (since, again, you can't [officially] open the model), that just seems dumb.

Yes... the landing pads swivel slightly...but one of mine was stuck fast solid, crooked, but with "gentle" pressure and patience I managed to straighten it. The batteries are removable...as explained in the posts above, they are in a compartment with a removable hatch cover that is held by magnets ( a nice touch there by Moebius).
Excellent clean castings and well painted inside and out. Overall worth the money. :love :thumbsup

Last edited:
Yes, they supplied a little kitchen drawer pull with mine that had a strong magnet glued onto the flat end.

Aha, thanks for that info; wondered what on earth that was for. For the $$$ spent, you think they could include some kind of instructions or a thank you letter or something.

Aha, thanks for that info; wondered what on earth that was for. For the $$$ spent, you think they could include some kind of instructions or a thank you letter or something.

Moebius supplied instructions with the metal J2 that explains this. Perhaps you overlooked the paperwork in your box?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back