Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Eagle-1

Sr Member
Howdy folks!

I've dug out one of the old Moebius Battlestar Galactica kits and have started whittlin' on it. My intentions are just to add or modify to what is already there that we saw on the studio model. I checked a few threads but I didn't see very many that have actually modified the kit other than aftermarket parts? My attempts at "upgrading" won't include aftermarket parts, just changes or corrections (as I can) to what's on the kit already.

Anyone built this lately or know of folks who have modified their builds?
GALACTICA.jpg

I started with the nose piece. As I said, my plans are to strictly do what I can to add some detail to what's already there. Here, I've added a little detail and modified some already there. Many who have this kit or have seen it already know everything here is very small. In many posts, I'll have the unmodified model pictured to help show whatever I'm attempting. I would really appreciate feedback, critique or observations as I go along here.
DSCN0210a.jpg

Last edited:
I'll sorta be working from the front to the rear, so I've modified the ramp along the nose that leads up to the bridge. Compared to the studio model, this area needed some changes. I removed this ramp and raised it to about what it looks like on the studio model. I've also added a little detail to that area.
DSCN0220a.jpg
DSCN0217a.jpg

Last edited:
As seen in that last image, I have also modified that tank just behind the bridge. I have made even more corrections to that area which I'll post shortly.

I've continued working toward the rear of the model. There is a tank hull just behind the bridge that needed some tweaks, so I tweaked it! It's very prominent looking at the model and didn't have very much detail at all. I ended up adding a fair amount of detail on this piece and actually opened it up and added some detail under it, like the studio model has.

Here's UN-modified...

DSCN0228a.jpg

Just a little farther towards the rear, there are a couple of circles that are suppose to be a set of tank engine grill vents. I figured what are suppose to be tank grills should LOOK like tank grills. A tough fix for sure, but I think this'll work? Looks better to me. I hope I sorta got the hang of this... There's another set at the engine section.

DSCN0244a.jpg
DSCN0244b.jpg
DSCN0244.jpg

Now, if some of this looks wonky or not exactly cleaned up properly yet, it may well be. Anyone who's seen or got this already knows, I'm whittlin' on some mighty tiny pieces, so keep this in mind when you say "THAT LOOKS LIKE SH.... CRAP ROB!" Of course, I still wanna HEAR what anyone thinks needs something, but I will and have been tidying along the way. I'm also adding little details along the way to the rear.
DSCN0267a.jpg

Next, the domes on the mid section. We all know they ain't no raised detail on them domes on the studio model. These had to go. I actually removed those domes from the model, shaved 'em down smooth and then added back some scribe lines. I added detail to the forward dome and on the rear dome, I re-made all the detail. I beveled the areas around the domes as the studio model has, added the domes back and added a little more detail as best I could. Here's one of the instances where they look a little rougher zoomed way in as than they do actual size, so like I said, cut me a little slack, maybe. Along with the dome modifications, I've revised some of the detail around the area of the domes too, again, to more closely match the studio model.

DSCN0217aa.jpg
DSCN0226a.jpg
DSCN0237a.jpg
DSCN0236.jpg

That was my first kit getting back into the hobby about 7 years ago. I did not know how to light a kit back then, and it was my first experience with Photo Etch which I bought the aftermarket landing bays to upgrade. There were also sets to upgrade the bridge but I did not get those.

If I had another kit to do over, I would be getting into much more detail and would also light the kit as opposed to just airbrushing the engines like I did.

So far your addition of greeblies is excellent and what will make your kit stand out. It's what I cut my teeth on the last few years working on the Zvezda Star Destroyer, but I had already completed the Galactica some time before.

That was my first kit getting back into the hobby about 7 years ago. I did not know how to light a kit back then, and it was my first experience with Photo Etch which I bought the aftermarket landing bays to upgrade. There were also sets to upgrade the bridge but I did not get those.

If I had another kit to do over, I would be getting into much more detail and would also light the kit as opposed to just airbrushing the engines like I did.

So far your addition of greeblies is excellent and what will make your kit stand out. It's what I cut my teeth on the last few years working on the Zvezda Star Destroyer, but I had already completed the Galactica some time before.
Thank you Invar! Ok, I'll wait for you to grab another one and join in! I plan on lighting this one and that will be a first for me.

Great work! The small details are really cool! Can’t wait to see what you do for the tiny satellite “dishes” above the engines

Last edited:
I'm gonna hafta click report,

BECAUSE I HAFTA REPORT THAT THIS IS AWESOME!!!

How can one *NOT* fell compelled to report how awesome this is!?!?!

You are really fleshing out the structure(s). So many model kits have ho-hum detail, and you wonder, if you truly had a good close-up of the ship, "is this *really* a legit detail?"

I also wonder, when I see spaceships this raw and close up for evaluation, "how does that thing survive a battle out in space!?!?" Pipes and actuators and pistons and tanks make for great detail, but in reality, isnt that a terrible idea to be exposed on a space ship?!?!?

a space BATTLESHIP?!?!

How mant times did the observation thingy on the bottom of the Yamato get blown off in Starblazers?

Thanks for posting! Really digging your enthusiasm to make something good alot better. :)

Why, Thank you sir! Unless you're a Ma'am. If so, Thank you both! Some of those details do make you wonder, huh? Then again, the real spacecraft are covered in aluminum foil, so apparently an actuator might actually hold up better? What really makes you wonder is, like on the laser tanks in my avatar, there are mattress vents. A piston would seem to be more useful, but they decided to go with a used mattress. Engineers. Brilliant!

Moving just a little more toward the rear-er, here I came across the first parts I replaced instead of just enhanced. I did some enhancing too, but it was easier to replace a couple of these rather than trying to modify them. Here's how they turned out.

And, here again, compared to the stock kit part.
DSCN0270.jpg
DSCN0271.jpg
DSCN0273.jpg
DSCN0274.jpg
DSCN0275.jpg
DSCN0276.jpg

As before, I'm thinking it's looking better?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back