Modifying + re-fitting the new Moebius TOS Galactica - - - yes, I dare!

Marko@Rockvoice

Hey folks!

Maybe you remember my 2007 TOS Galactica scratchbuilt in 1:4105 scale:

galactica-26.jpggalactica-23.jpg

Moebius was so kind to send me a testshot of their upcoming TOS Galactica kit.
WOW! That kit is simply amazing! The fit of the parts is perfect, detailling is superb and the overall look out of the box is breathtaking.
That beeing said, the kit if worth every penny!

But...

The kit has some issues if you are planning to build your battlestar look like the studio model.
Some are proportional, some structural and some are just compromises due to injection molding/ lack of detail.

I'll try to explain what I am doing to get the kit closer to the studio model.

Good news first - There will be 3D-printed parts to exchange some of the details! I am expecting the first text-prints to arrive within the next week.

First, I started with the head section:
The bridge module is completely incorred in size, angle and position.... and gone!
TOS-BSG-01.jpg

Gladly, the bridge from my Battlestar accurization kit, which I made for my scratch Galactica and the Revellogram fits perfectly. More on that later...

The neck... what can I say... wrong angle and not proportional...
I decided on a compromise here so I can keep the details. I would have to cut even more for a correct treatment, but this one looks allright comparing to the rest of the fuselage:

TOS-BSG-02.jpgTOS-BSG-03.jpg

Wow, looking forward to more pics. It's pretty cool you got an advanced copy of the kit to work on. Did they send it to you just so you could work on accurizing it for the aftermarket?

Would love to see more updates as well.

However,

A thread on another forum has strangely gone awry regarding the new Moebius Galactica.

Allright!

Here is a photo of the main fuselage. The detailling is nice, but it is stretched too much; almost 1 cm.
The middle domes (the UFO and tanker parts) are not correct in diameter.

moebius-tos-gal4.jpg

Finally, I decided to let go an the length and just modify a few areas.
So I cut out the front dome and replaced it with the one I made for my 2007 Galactica.

moebius-tos-gal5.jpg

... and... the engine area. NICE!
A few minor non-correct parts here and there, but nothing major.
I drilled the holes and intakes so it looks a like these were all different parts:
moebius-tos-gal6.jpg moebius-tos-gal7.jpg

and, of course I had to even it from the inside...

The BRIDGE... yeah!
Again, these are casts of my 2007 Galactica build. Luckily they fit perfectly.

moebius-tos-gal9.jpg moebius-tos-gal10.jpg

Then, I decided to remove the arms and build new ones, or use the 2007s ones.
This is how it looks like at the moment:
moebius-tos-gal11.jpg

more to come...

UPDATE:

I tried something with the hangars: since these are hollow - why not build an actual hangar inside?

moebius-tos-gal12.jpg

Today was Drilling-day... I made holes for the windows and some parts here and there were given a treatment:
moebius-tos-gal14.jpg

... and some changes on the engine area: modified some more parts and added new ones, half-pipes, resin parts from 2007,...

moebius-tos-gal13.jpg

And this is how the fuselage looks with primer on it:

moebius-tos-gal15.jpg

the new bridge looks way more authentic than the old one

moebius-tos-gal16.jpg moebius-tos-gal17.jpg

and I like how the engine area tured out. Nice detail on the kit part - and even better with the modifications and add-ons:

moebius-tos-gal18.jpgmoebius-tos-gal19.jpg

I like that you drilled out some of the parts that are hollow on the studio model. I hope to do the same and hope to drill more if my limited skill permits.

Is the black paint(?) you added before priming for pre-shading?

Ahhh... that is so long ago... neither my room nor I look like that anymore... But - the Ibanez guitars are still there ;-)

Hi Mark! I just wanted to thank you for that video; a few yahrens ago I watched it a whole bunch of times to help me make sense of a number of studio model shots I couldn't figure out. It was SO helpful, and assisted me in reaching my final result fixing up my Revell Galactica a bit!

Beautiful work, Marko, as always! I've still got the parts I bought from you, as we as those from ARVEY Model Products. Is that the large bridge assembly, I presume?

Looking forward to seeing more! Thank you so much for sharing!

However,

A thread on another forum has strangely gone awry regarding the new Moebius Galactica.
That would be because Randy got a little "sensitive" about questions being asked by ONE other member - you know who I'm on about - so decided to take his ball and go home. One person asks annoying, persistent questions and everyone else got "punished". And the questions weren't even all that annoying, really. Everyone else was fawning over the work Randy was showing, praising it, too.

Yeah, because of one person....

I like that you drilled out some of the parts that are hollow on the studio model. I hope to do the same and hope to drill more if my limited skill permits.

Is the black paint(?) you added before priming for pre-shading?

I guess I figured it out. It looks like you were just covering the interior parts, so they wouldn't just show through as unpainted white.

Please keep the updates coming!

Thanks, Dave

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back