Modified Rubies Dome mount, what a difference!

FalconV8

Thanks to Darth Anibal and others, I was inspired to fix the dome on my Rubies, what a difference.

Before
Notice the horizontal line leading to the tusk is almost parallel with the bottom of the dome. Terrible....

[attachmentid=9478]

After
Bottom of dome is not parallel to Horizontal line leading to tusk, way better...

[attachmentid=9479]

for the money, it will do...... CM

[attachmentid=9480]

New Pics. Lowered the dome in front a little more... I'm mainly a trooper guy but I'm really happy with this bucket now.

[attachmentid=9495]

[attachmentid=9496]

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Kahnt @ Aug 10 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1298079[/snapback]</div>
What exactly did you do?
[/b]

The tab on top of the faceplate, using a dremel tool, i cut it down to about a little more than half the original height but still following the angle of it. Looking at the tab from the front of the helmet I would recommend trying to make it completely horizontal so the dome wont be so wonky looking, basically it would straighten the look of the dome as it sits on the face tab.
On the Dome, i also cut the mounting "box" down alot, mainly in the curved portion of it. Not much left for the tab and box to velcro together, as it is now it is not acceptable for anything other than display but I'm sure it could be worked out somehow, I just did this real quick today without thinking really.

CM

That is one thing about the Rubies i hate, the dome sits too high, also, the dome ridge is far too soft, i'm experimenting with this at present, i have an Altmans dome where the back of the dome is much longer and the ridge is more sharp. I'm looking at some sort of mounting mechanism for it, will be playing with this next week. The only other problem is the Altman's has a windows peak almost as much as the ANH dome. So i think i will need to get the dremel out to make it more acceptable.
Nice job on you dome there :thumbsup

Massive difference, well done :thumbsup

I'd thought about ways to do this with mine but it'd mean losing the bit that the strap attaches to the top of the face plate. But it looks SO much better, like a different helmet altogether

...now where's that dremel...

....man, that really does make a difference. i love stuff like this. Youcan take a crappy mask and make it look just as good if not better than a DP Classic action. :thumbsup

Thanks for the shout-out. IMO though, the second "lowering" is too low. It looks good on the frontal picture of the first set of photos (the third one down).

<div class='quotetop'>(DARTH ANIBAL @ Aug 14 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]1300646[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for the shout-out. IMO though, the second "lowering" is too low. It looks good on the frontal picture of the first set of photos (the third one down).
[/b]

I agree somewhat. The good thing is that I can adjust it with the velcro to obtain both looks. The first attempt it would only go that low, now I can go for the pissed of look if need be. It depends on the angle that I shoot pics from, but yea, it looks a little better when you can see the tops of the eyes on the faceplate.
Thanks everybody.

CM

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back