Modeling Spikes - Auric Shield Guild Wars 2

SpectreofNight

I have been working on creating a scale modle of the Auric Shield from Guild Wars 2. I have created most of the shield and I only need to make long thin curving spikes as well as painting it. I need to find a material that would allow me to do so.

I have had three ideas that I don’t think will work. Due to how thin the spike will be, it would be hard to cut the foam I use into that shape and it will also sag and bend at the tip. Using aluminum might work by using a dremmel to shape it, but it would be hard to make it curve. Finally, I thought I could use Worbla (thermoplastic) around the foam, which would strengthen it, but it would still be very hard to cut. If anyone has any ideas of what I could do, please tell me.

(I meed to make the long curving spikes that start at the sides lf the shield and go to the top.)

Auric_Shield.jpg

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
3d pint them. Even on small-diameter and fairly fragile pieces like this can be worked up with a fair degree of sturdiness if they are designed properly. My process for thin-blade or curved swords (think scimitar) is to model up the curved section, and then add a curved round channel through the center of the blade (two if I can). That inner channel needs to have as gentle a curve as possible while still staying inside the body (at least 1mm between a channel wall and the outer wall). I set my channels for either 5.5mm or 3.5mm diameter; the larger will fit a 3/16"/5mm rod nicely, the smaller fits a 1/8".

So, after all of that, I cut the sections as large ass I can to fit my printer bed, print at 100% infill (I prefer PLA). And then skewer-and-glue the sections together. The rods I mentioned earlier are available at big-box home improvement stores over by the hardware/metal stock section, they are fairly cheap and usually come in lengths from 2-5 feet. It may take a little bit of gentle pre-flexing to get the rod through the center of your printed spikes (rounding the rod tip helps a lot), but you end up with a very strong piece that can take much more of a beating than an unsupported printed piece or an EVA foam/pepakura version. Good luck!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.