Model Portfolio (Satchmo III)

Satchmo III

This thread is set up as a repository to share and showcase my 3D model portfolio. The content pre-dating this thread's start-date has been ported over from my thread located at the 405th.com (a costuming community with a Halo emphasis).

These models are provided for use in building paper models. As such my approach to modeling is to capture major details and I often omit/revise smaller details to help in putting together the paper. The intent is that such details can be addressed at later processes of a build. Please remember to check scaling and modify to suit your needs prior to print/assembly. Any and all feedback (positive and negative) is welcomed and appreciated. All modeling suggestions will be considered. All model meshes are original works based on image source material and are in no way back-engineered from game software.

Models will be uploaded to one of the reserved posts at the thread's beginning and I will create a new post to identify when a new model is uploaded or an existing model is revised. Creators and unfolders will be identified with every model.

A special thank you to Bungie/343i/Microsoft for providing the Halo universe to play with and to Isaac Hannaford (Isaac Hannaford: 405th Infantry) for providing such wonderful concept artwork as source material. Models based on Halo or Xbox content are to be used per Microsoft's game content usage rules (Game Content Usage Rules - Xbox.com) only.

Last edited:
WORK LOG SUMMARY...

The following list identifies completed and updated models and provides quick links to any available files. The list is organized alphabetically by model name. The models and unfolds contained in this list are by me unless otherwise noted.

Detailed info and screen-shots for each model are located in the beginning (model detail) posts of this thread. Each time a new model is uploaded it will be added below the last model to have been uploaded (new models will always be at the bottom of the detail posts). Each uploaded model will be numbered chronologically and that identification number will be cross-referenced at the left of the alphabetical work log summary.

35) Ghosts of onyx forearm SPI ... 2012-06-12
38) Halo 4 helmet daemon ... 2012-06-24
32) Halo 4 helmet deadeye concept ... 2012-05-28
41) Halo 4 helmet defender ... 2013-03-29
33) Halo 4 helmet locus concept ... 2012-06-06 (Zhanpakto unfold)
42) Halo 4 helmet operator ... 2013-04-07
21) Halo 4 helmet spartan IV ... 2012-04-27 (Original model by harnor)
40) Halo 4 helmet warmaster ... 2013-02-24
25) Legends helmet kelly ... 2012-05-06
11) Reach belt elite ... 2011-08-27
09) Reach bicep elite ranger ... 2011-08-22
01) Reach data storage unit ... 2011-07-26
12) Reach foot-guard elite ... 2011-08-27
06) Reach forearm elite ranger ... 2011-08-18
05) Reach hand-plate elite ... 2011-08-16
20) Reach helmet commando concept ... 2012-04-28
23) Reach helmet concept #1 ... 2012-06-22
22) Reach helmet concept #2 ... 2012-05-03 (harnor unfold)
24) Reach helmet concept #3 ... 2012-05-05
37) Reach helmet concept #4 ... 2012-06-23
39) Reach helmet concept #5 ... 2012-07-13
07) Reach helmet elite officer ... 2011-08-19
03) Reach helmet elite ranger ... 2011-07-31
31) Reach helmet elite ultra ... 2012-05-26
28) Reach helmet EVA ... 2012-05-13
26) Reach helmet EVA emile ... 2012-05-12
29) Reach helmet HAZOP ... 2012-05-20
27) Reach helmet noble six concept ... 2012-05-13
34) Reach shin concept ... 2012-06-10
36) Reach shin marine ... 2012.06.16
13) Reach thigh attachment marine ... 2011-09-04
10) Reach thigh elite ranger ... 2011-08-21
08) Reach torso elite ranger ... 2011-08-20
14) Reach torso marine ... 2011-09-04
17) Reach weapon concussion rifle ... 2011-10-15
16) Reach weapon cncsn rfl ammo ... 2011-10-15
18) Reach weapon cncsn rfl sliced ... 2011-10-20
04) Reach weapon focus rifle ... 2011-08-02
30) Reach weapon fuel rod gun ... 2012-05-24
02) Reach weapon needler ... 2011-07-24
19) Reach weapon plasma repeater ... 2011-10-22
15) Star wars droid R2D2 ... 2011-09-13

THE COMPLETED ARSENAL...

Just a picture of works completed and contained within this thread. For detail please see the following posts.

Last edited:
MODEL DETAIL...

01) REACH DATA STORAGE UNIT (THE PACKAGE)
> Model / Unfold : Satchmo III / Satchmo III
> 2011-05-27 : Model completed and unfolded
> 2011-07-26 : Cleaned up tabs in pepakura

The package is one of my first modeling attempts. It's fairly simple and is sort of an exercise in symmetry. I believe Cortana's data-chip is meant to float at the center of the canister by some force-field...since this is not conducive to things like pepakura I've modeled the field as a cylinder (I think it'll also help to support paper).

Reach_package__Satchmo_III__pe.jpg

02) REACH WEAPON NEEDLER
> 2011-07-24 : Model completed and unfolded

Even though it's a strange weapon, ever since Halo:CE I have thought the needler is neat. I've been mulling over weapons to accompany my armor build and wanted Reach's iteration of the crystal-shard-chucker thrown in the mix for sure. The actual needles in the model are none too fancy...I'm considering them as place-holders to be worked on during the finishing portion of a build.

Reach_weapon_needler__Satchmo_.jpg

03) REACH HELMET ELITE RANGER
> 2011-07-31 : Model completed and unfolded

It's large and not really set up for human use (though it could be modified) but the ranger elite helmet is pert cool.

Reach_helmet_elite_ranger__Sat.jpg

04) REACH WEAPON FOCUS RIFLE
> 2011-08-02 : Model completed and unfolded

Ready...focus...fire! I think I've used the focus rifle while playing Reach for a sum total of 45 seconds, and that was when I was messing around with it to get a sense of its scale (I settled on 35 inches from tip to tail for the unfold provided with the file). Even so, I think the weapon is pretty cool and really like how the barrel operates when steady fire is maintained. I decided to omit some of the detail on either side of the barrel but may add it in later. The model is not sectioned, though depending on how it builds I may modify it to be later.

Reach_weapon_focus_rifle__Satc.jpg

05) REACH HAND-PLATE ELITE
> 2011-08-16 : Model completed and unfolded

The Elite hand-plate (and I think maybe the belt) is the only piece of their armor that is consistent across each class. The model as unfolded is more...human-sized, I thought it'd be cool to add the Elite hand-plate as a potential alternative for Spartan armor builds (though the model can be up-scaled for more Elite-sized builds if desired).

Reach_hand-plate_elite__Satchm.jpg

06) REACH FOREARM ELITE RANGER
> 2011-08-18 : Model completed and unfolded

Six pages...21 pieces...you do the math. The unfold as provided is human-sized. I'm approaching the sizing of Elite armor as scaled to a (more) typical human rather than the full-grown Elite alien species. The scale can always be altered by the end-user with the use of Pepakura Designer. At each opening I've added a lip that extends back inside the model...my intent is for the lip to serve as a catch for sloshed rondo if used to harden the model (the lip can be omitted if desired).

Reach_forearm_elite_ranger__Sa.jpg

07) REACH HELMET ELITE OFFICER
> 2011-08-19 : Model completed and unfolded

The Elite officer helmet was made at the request of my friend, BLACKULA727. It's to be used to compliment his stellar Elite bust sculpture (www.405th.com/showthread.php/33645-Halo-Reach-Elite-Sculpt-(Well-Hopefully)). Check id oud! The file as provided is scaled for the sculpture.

Reach_helmet_elite_officer__Sa.jpg

08) REACH TORSO ELITE RANGER
> 2011-08-20 : Model completed and unfolded

If I had two sets of mandibles I'd use them to yell out in the name of good battle (wort wort wort). The Elite ranger torso model isn't crazily imbued with detail but the prominent ones are present. I've sized the provided unfold based on some Spartan armor torso opening measurements I've used in the past so, again, this model is sized more with an eye toward humanity rather than our future alien enemies (which wind up, spoiler-alert, as our future alien allies). Since Elite physiology is different than ours there is potential for things to not fit 100% correctly (and the neck opening is probably too small) so please take this into consideration should you chose to tackle this beast (before I do). If you'd like to provide any feedback in this regard I'd be very appreciative and may make modifications if needed.

Reach_torso_elite_ranger__Satc.jpg

09) REACH BICEP ELITE RANGER
> 2011-08-21 : Model completed and unfolded (A4-sized paper)
> 2011-08-22 : Revised model slightly and unfolded on letter-sized paper

Another piece that I think would be sweet if combined with a Spartan build is ranger bicep/shoulder. I'm not sure if the bicep armor is the same across Elite classes with differing should guards (as is the case with the Spartans) but in any case I've modeled the bicep and shoulder together instead of separate. The unfold provided is human-sized.

Reach_bicep_elite_ranger__Satc.jpg

10) REACH THIGH ELITE RANGER
> 2011-08-21 : Model completed and unfolded

I think the front and back guards of the thigh armor are intended to be attached by strap. Although I've modeled this I think it would work better in the real world if a real strap was made up.

Reach_thigh_elite_ranger__Satc.jpg

11) REACH BELT ELITE
> 2011-08-27 : Model completed and unfolded

The Elite belt...the negative cod-piece.

Reach_belt_elite__Satchmo_III_.jpg

12) REACH FOOT-GUARD ELITE
> 2011-08-27 : Model completed and unfolded

The foot-guard rounds out the completion of the three common Elite armor pieces (the hand-plate and belt being the other two) and all armor pieces possessed by the ranger. The first four pages of the provided unfold contain the two toe pieces.

Reach_foot-guard_elite__Satchm.jpg

13) REACH THIGH ATTACHMENT MARINE
> 2011-09-04 : Model completed and unfolded

The marine thigh attachment was modeled at the request of digitalskylight for potential use for the fan-film, Genesis. It looks like the project is starting to pick up steam and several talented 405th members are actively contributing to it. Check it out (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...-Pitch-Trailer).

Reach_thigh_attachment_marine_.jpg

14) REACH TORSO MARINE
> 2011-09-04 : Model completed and unfolded

This is what I will call the base marine torso (without any packs or attachments). I may look into the various add-ons later. I did not model buckling/strapping as, in my mind, these things should be added at a build-stage after pepakura. I also left out the full belly-plate since the front-packs obscure it and, in-game, it appears to be independent of the rest of the torso. The model was created at the request of digitalskylight for potential use for the fan-film, Genesis (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...-Pitch-Trailer).

Reach_torso_marine__Satchmo_II.jpg

15) STAR WARS DROID R2D2
> 2011-02-21 : Model completed and unfolded
> 2011-09-13 : Cleaned up unfold

I haven't had much time to model lately but I was looking through some files on my computer, came across this guy, and thought I'd include him in this thread. This very basic R2D2 was my first modeling attempt back in February (2011). At the time I posted it in my Noble Six build thread with a pretty poor unfold. I've done a quick re-unfold of the model which is quite a bit more straight forward than it was originally.

As it did back in February, the unfold as provided stands about 10 inches tall and took me somewhere around three hours to assemble (with the poorer unfold). The intent of the model was for practice and because R2 rocks. It's by no means an accurate model but it is recognizable as R2 and although there's room for much improvement, I like to think of it as a good start.

Star_wars_droid_R2D2__Satchmo_.jpg

16) REACH WEAPON CONCUSSION RIFLE AMMO
> 2011-10-15 : Model completed and unfolded

Upon full discharge of the concussion rifle's energy ammo...the empty cartridge can be thrown as a projectile.

Reach_weapon_concussion_rifle_ammo.jpg

17) REACH WEAPON CONCUSSION RIFLE
> 2011-10-15 : Model completed and unfolded

This may be a slightly tricky model to put together.

Reach_weapon_concussion_rifle_.jpg

18) REACH WEAPON CONCUSSION RIFLE SLICED
> 2011-10-20 : Model sliced

I'm not entirely sold on the slice-method for building models but I wanted to see if creating a sliced model was something that I could do. For a length of 36" I recommend 1/4" thick material for the slices. If another length is desired you'll have to do some cross-multiplication to figure out a decent material thickness to maintain the model's proportions (math class nay-sayers listen up...that kind of stuff does occasionally come in handy).

Reach_weapon_concussion_rifle_2.jpg

19) REACH WEAPON PLASMA REPEATER
> 2011-10-22 : Model completed and unfolded

I didn't put the teeth-like ridges in the model so as to avoid pep-work with small pieces. The charge-canister is separate from the weapon-body (although I don't think it's removed in game I thought it'd be easier to build separately and neat as a stand-alone piece if desired (the canister is contained in the last three pages of the provided unfold)).

Reach_weapon_plasma_repeater__.jpg

20) REACH HELMET COMMANDO CONCEPT
> 2012-04-28 : Model completed and unfolded

Earlier this week I decided I wanted to build a commando helmet. I checked into Ruze789 (www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-...ach-Pepakura-Files-Thread?p=396049#post396049) and jtm1997 (www.405th.com/showthread.php/30096-...and-daft-punk-helmet-peps?p=592656#post592656) who have each done great work with the helmet but upon searching out a PDO for the visor attachment (which I think is a critical add for this helmet) I stumbled upon a bit of concept artwork that featured some lines which I prefer over the in-game model. I booted up Blender Saturday morning, unfolded and printed the PDO Saturday afternoon, and finished assembling the paper sometime Sunday morning (BUILD LINK FORTH-COMING)...I dug the process flow. The visor attachment is part of the model.

ReachconcepthelmetcommandoSatchmoIIIpepref.jpg

21) HALO 4 HELMET SPARTAN IV
> Model / Unfold : Satchmo III (original by harnor) / Satchmo III
> 2012-03-24 : Model completed (Original post)
> 2012-04-27 : Model modified and unfolded

If you haven't yet gazed upon harnor's modeling work you are missing out. The detail he's able to pump out with little reference info is stellar. He has allowed me to modify his original Spartan IV model to account for some new references from the RvB promos and to simplify some of the line work to make paper assembly a little smoother. Thank you harnor for allowing me to share the modification and unfold.

There are a few Halo helmets that I find off-putting the first time I see them that I eventually start to warm up to...this helmet is in this category. I have put the paper together for this model and will be starting a build thread for this helmet soon.

Halo4helmetspartanIVharnorSatchmoIIIpepref.jpg

22) REACH HELMET CONCEPT #2
> Model / Unfold : Satchmo III / harnor
> 2012-05-02 : Model completed
> 2012-05-03 : Model unfolded

I wanted to continue to delve into the concept helmets. I think this one eventually became the scout helmet but it's difficult to tell. It'd be neat to see someone build this.

I'm asking the community to provide an unfold for this one. If you'd like to participate please send me a PM or post with a link to your unfold. If more than one unfold is provided I'll either select the best one or put links to them all at the beginning of the thread (I will upload the file to my file share to maintain it in the thread). I hope to see someone take up the charge. Thanks four-o-five.

Reachhelmetconcept2pepref.jpg

23) REACH HELMET CONCEPT #1
> 2012-05-05 : Model completed and unfolded
> 2012-06-22 : Model revised and unfolded

Uno mas casco concepto. There sure are many options out there now-a-days for builds.

Reachhelmetconcept1pepref2.jpg

24) REACH HELMET CONCEPT #3
> 2012-05-05 : Model completed and unfolded

Uno mas mas casco concepto. It's fairly easy to see this helmet is the precursor to the pilot helmet. I take that back, I see parts of the pilot helmet along with elements of Emile's helmet in this one.

Reachhelmetconcept3SatchmoIIIpepref.jpg

25) LEGENDS HELMET KELLY
> 2012-05-06 : Model completed and unfolded

New day...new EVA type. I like the unfold for this one...at 27 I think it a low helmet piece quantity PR for me. There are a couple of inconsistencies, some were choices and some I didn't realize until grabbing the reference image shown below from youtube (after having spent some time outputting the unfold)...still, a good model (as far as my take at least) with a stellar unfold.

LegendshelmetkellySatchmoIIIpepref.jpg

26) REACH HELMET EVA EMILE
> 2012-05-12 : Model completed and unfolded

New day...new EVA type. I have and will probably upload a version without the skull carving but I wanted to do something new with this helmet. This one is based off a combination of concept art and reference images from the game. I enlarged the neck opening in the hopes that not too much modification would be needed to allow users to don the helmet.

ReachhelmetEVAemilepepref.jpg

27) REACH HELMET NOBLE SIX CONCEPT
> 2012-05-12 : Model completed and unfolded

I really dig the concept work for the Noble Six character. The image below is the only one I could find for this early version of Reach's main character. I'll say it here...a big thank you to Isaac Hannaford and the other Bungie concept artists for providing such great source material. I love looking at their stuff.

Reachhelmetnoblesixconceptpepref.jpg

28) REACH HELMET EVA
> 2012-05-12 : Model completed
> 2012-05-13 : Model unfolded

This is the standard EVA helmet from Reach (sans Emile's skull carving). The shaping of all the EVA dome face-shields has been pretty time-consuming.

ReachhelmetEVApepref.jpg

29) REACH HELMET HAZOP
> 2012-05-20 : Model completed and unfolded

Another concept/in-game model hybrid.

Reachhelmethazoppepref.jpg

30) REACH WEAPON FUEL ROD GUN
> 2012-05-24 : Model completed and unfolded

This one took a while to model (curvature cornucopia). This one took a while to unfold (piece plethora). At what I'm to understand is its full size, this 4'-3" long beast has many parts and the provided unfold has many pages. The gel-pack ammo clip is independent of the gun so it can be detailed separately and made to be semi-functional if you're crafty about it. As per usual, I have chosen to modify and omit some details from the model to suit my taste. Good luck.

Reachweaponfuelrodgunpepref.jpg

31) REACH HELMET ELITE ULTRA
> 2012-05-26 : Model completed and unfolded

Well...I figured a big covie weapon needed a big covie helmet to go with it. I tried my hand at some rudimentary coloring with this model. Though it's probably not worth printing with the texture on I do like how the model looks with the color. Be warned, watch your scaling...I think the unfold I've provided is too large.

Reachhelmeteliteultrapepref.jpg

32) HALO 4 HELMET DEADEYE CONCEPT
> 2012-05-28 : Model completed and unfolded

I didn't get much else done today. I'm not sure how accurate this will be or if the name of this helmet is accurate...I think deadeye is the paint scheme but the image indicated that was the helmet. I don't think I'll tackle any of the other Halo 4 helmet until better sources are available.

Halo4helmetdeadeyeconceptpepref.jpg

33) HALO 4 HELMET LOCUS CONCEPT
> Model / Unfold : Satchmo III / TJX62
> 2012-06-03 : Model completed, not unfolded
> 2012-06-06 : Uploaded TJX62 unfold

More skull-candy.

Halo4helmetlocuspepref.jpg

34) REACH SHIN CONCEPT
> 2012-06-10 : Model completed and unfolded

It's interesting to look at the concept artwork and see how things wound up in-game. The shin is something that changed quite a bit before the final version was stamped and approved. I've left off any knee-guard but this shin model does have a potential attachment point for one. I've tried to scale this one slightly large...when I unfold I maximize piece size to the edges of margins so re-arranging is easier when down-scaling. As with all my work (from concept art or not) this is my interpretation of the piece.

Reachshinconceptpepref.jpg

35) GHOSTS OF ONYX FOREARM SPI
> 2012-06-12 : Model completed and unfolded

There seem to be two different iterations of the SPI forearm depending on what artwork you're looking upon. I based this model largely on the reference image shown below. I actually like this forearm quite a bit.

GhostsofonyxforearmSPI.jpg

36) REACH SHIN MARINE
> 2012-06-16 : Model completed and unfolded

I left the knee off this model so others could customize the shin with whichever knee model they'd like to. I did include the straps and back areas but I think that after hardening I would trim these sections off and would probably use actual strapping.

Reachshinmarinepepref.jpg

37) REACH HELMET CONCEPT #4
> 2012-06-23 : Model completed and unfolded

While I was re-working the concept #1 helmet yesterday I became intrigued by the fourth concept helmet so I worked up an iteration today. I might look at the fifth helmet as well to complete the set.

Reachhelmetconcept4pepref.jpg

38) HALO 4 HELMET DAEMON
> 2012-06-24 : Model completed and unfolded

I'm not sure that this helmet is named Demon, so I gave it an alternate name of Daemon for the time being. I'm happy with how this one came out. To me it looks like a sleeker version of the standard Spartan IV helmet.

Halo4helmetdaemonpepref.jpg

39) REACH HELMET CONCEPT #5
> 2012-07-13 : Model completed and unfolded

Rounding out the five concept helmets....

Reachhelmetconcept5pepref.jpg

40) HALO 4 HELMET WARMASTER
> 2013-02-24 : Model completed and unfolded

I'm not on board with many of the Halo 4 helmets. Overall I prefer the style in Reach over Halo 4 but I do like the Warmaster helmet. Please remember to check scaling to suit your needs.

Halo4helmetwarmasterrefpic_zps651e02f4.jpg

41) HALO 4 HELMET DEFENDER
> 2013-03-29 : Model completed and unfolded

Halo4helmetdefenderpepref2_zpsa10706dc.png

42) HALO 4 HELMET OPERATOR
> 2013-04-06 : Model completed
> 2013-04-07 : Model unfolded

Halo4helmetoperatorpepref2_zpsa0bad2f4.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back