Model gas strut.

degurney

Hi all.
I would like to replicate this gas strut. I have small tube and rod and I can create the flat end. Not sure about the ball joint the other end yet but.
Asking you clever chaps.. do you know of a way to make this strut lockable? It`s used to hold a door up ( fairly heavy for it`s size ) and I was wondering if anyknow had any ideas as to how I can make this lockable in the extended position.
1585956964719.png

I`m pretty good with making stuff.. and I can design and 3D print pretty much anything myself.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks so much

Darren

to lock it you could either have a pin to go through both inner and outer tube or some sort of clamp. getting anything that small working is going to be tough. I'd probably just have a second strut as a prop to hold it open, or maybe spring to hold it open?

I don’t know what size of shaft you are using, but maybe a small wheel collar like used on R/C aircraft wheels would work. Would slide over the shaft and lock it in position with a set screw.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back