model construction question

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

wolfbrthr13

What is the best way to remove the excess vinyl from the larger kits (Alien face huggar for example). I have heard that boiling it is the way to go. I'm starting to assemble models I have aquired over the years and some of them have a significant amount of excess plastic and vinyl that has to be removed before I assemble it. Any help would be awesome!!!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jim N

I use a hair dryer to soften the vinyl and then a sharp craft/hobby knife, you can use hot water but it's a lot of messing about.
Don't overheat it as it will get too soft, just enough to let the knife slice through nice and easy, trial and error really.
You can also use the hair dryer to soften any mis-shapen parts then drop them into cold water to hold the form.