Modding the Iron Man 2 Arc from sideshow

Kroenen77

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After seeing some pics and mods in the net,I bought my own Iron Man 2 Arc Reactor from sideshow/museums replicas for a very good price.

First,when you open the box it schocks you...hehe..what is it?A bedside lamp?A Mini-Batsignal..no..not with a triangle on it.:gah:

BUT...under the wrong milky glass on the top there is something usable.

Ok,first you must open the arc with 3 screws.Than you see this(my trianglepart is painted on the pics..your is wrong black in the middle):

The curved clean glass is waste...the original has flat glass and its absolute clean.Not this cheap cloudy chinaplastic.

Look on the reflections of the original prop:

Now you need to paint the triangle part.I used Acrylicpaint "Iron" and I used a brush.If you brush with the lines,it looks like satin stainless steel.Thats a lot better as sprayed..but that is my own taste.

Let it dry over night and cut a new glass.I used the package of my RAM for that.Its easyer with nail scissors,because its a curved line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After that build all together in the right order:

1.)White milky glass on the LEDS
2.)Painted trianglepart on the milky glass
3.)New flat glass on the triangle.

You are ready now..I think a great arc:

Original and modded one:

Before modding:

After modding:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for reading..hope you like my little tutorial.:wink1:

Last edited:
Thanks...I used no glass...I used absolute clear and flat plastic for the glass.
Found it in the package of my new PC-RAM.:lol

The stock glass is wrong...curved and not really clean.

That looks great. Congrats Kroenen 77.

I'm really tempted to get one now and try that mod.
Though I'll probably try to have an actual glass lens cut to the right dimensions (instead of the clear acrylic you used).
I'm also pretty sure that we can find a way to make the "triangle" part looking better and more accurate.

I think it's gonna be my project next month.

Thank you.I painted the parts in the middle black..so it looks not so cheap for the moment.:lol
But the best way would be to build the complete part new with metalstripes.But what is the part in the middle and where you can buy stripes in stainless stell like this?

You can see,that the metalstripes are glued on triangle rubber parts..that is not a HD shot..on the bluray you can see it more detailed.Can you make a blurayshot..I have only a dvd rom in my pc.

Last edited:
Kroenen77 here's a 1080p screencap so you can see the arc details much better:

ironman2jonfavreaumkvsn.jpg

Thank you very much.:cool
Look at this guy made a build with plastic parts.Not bad,when the paintjob looks great.

But metal looks better...hm,the metalstripes and the rubberparts are not the biggest problem..but the triangle in the middle.:confused

The outer housing purse with just the triangle looks flat on the actual prop but slightly dome shaped on the replica. I think I could machine a flat cap to replace the domed cap. That inner piece could be done from laser cut stainless sheet. It's pretty cheap to have done. Thinking of buying one of these now to mod.

Nice job. I was always really disappointed with the Museum Replicas arc (both of them), especially since I love the original prop. your mod looks much much better.

Ah,yes thanks.The last what I´m doing is polish the cover,drill the screws in and paint it in a darker iron color.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back