Modding Skydiving helmet to make Mech helmet

Ruffaloem

Hey how's it going,

For almost ten years I have been trying and failing to make a semi original prop helmet using a variety of methods the latest being 3d printing.

I have criteria for what I want the piece to have:

1. overall comfort
2. ventilation
3. as much viability as possible

4. Modular in some way?

I'm not experience in prop making but I am a fairly good 3d designer.

Anyway, what I was thinking about buying a skydiving helmet and modifying it with 3d printed parts.
has anyone done this heard of any other projects that tried this?

I'm not familiar with skydiving helmets, but unless they are made of fiberglass, you might have a hard time glueing anything to them, plus with their expense it may be cost prohibitive for you.
Why not just print a helmet out? You can glue foam to the insides where you need and install a couple of battery operated fans to keep the visor clear and your head cooler. The visor may be the hardest part if it has a special shape, but if it is just curved you can go to a hardware store and pick up some replacement visors for a head mounted faceshield. I have several tinted ones for such projects.

TazMan2000

I'm not familiar with skydiving helmets, but unless they are made of fiberglass, you might have a hard time glueing anything to them, plus with their expense it may be cost prohibitive for you.
Why not just print a helmet out? You can glue foam to the insides where you need and install a couple of battery operated fans to keep the visor clear and your head cooler. The visor may be the hardest part if it has a special shape, but if it is just curved you can go to a hardware store and pick up some replacement visors for a head mounted faceshield. I have several tinted ones for such projects.

TazMan2000

vdOXNSY.jpg

This is the helmet I want to mod. Its on ebay for 120 bucks. I'm not sure of the material but I'm sure its some sort of plastic. My concern is losing structural integrity if I cut the jaw piece off.

to attach any parts I would have to use some sort of threaded bolt or screws.

I would print the whole thing but My home printer is only 5.5 inches for the build area.

I heard daft punks early helmets were modified motorcycle helmets but I cant find any build information about it.

That is a good price for a helmet, since I saw that they are anywhere from 400 dollars and up.
I can see why you may be on the fence with this decision. Do you think you would have a need to print larger objects in the future? If so, FDM printers with a large beds are fairly inexpensive now.
You will obviously loose some structural integrity by cutting the chin off, but you shoul still have enough. There are helmets out there without chins. But it depends on the construction. Did you search local sites for anyone that wants to sell or giveaway an old motorcycle helmet that has been collecting dust in their garage?

TazMan2000

I've been wanting a larger printer for a while but I'm technically unemployed. I'm trying to drum up business remodeling houses so money is tight at the moment. I actually have a few old motorcycle helmets but they are just to bulbous and the wrong shape for what I want to make. and it would also just be to heavy.

I figure if I cut the jaw off I can reinforce the structure with metal that would also hold the jaw and face plate of the helmet.

I'd like to make something like this :
search

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back