Mk49 Rescue armour WIP

Sakura1618

So I'm considering 3D printing and assembling a suit of MCU Rescue armour. So I guess my first question is what set of STLs do people recommend? I'm aware that DO3D produces a set (but apparently there's issues with those files), as do a couple of sellers on Etsy, but I'm just wondering what's considered the recommended set to start with.

Thanks in advance!

OK, update. For lack of any other suggestions I brought the DO3D set. And ran into my first scaling headache with my melon head.

1634375643217.png

This is going to take a lot of tweaking to figure out. It's also possible I got my Armorsmith measurements wrong too.

OK, so testing seemed to suggest that scaling up to 115% would fit my head. Except I'm not sure that that leaves enough room to add the various electronics to the helmet. But I'm trying it anyway.

IHgpjCg.jpg

OK, we have a faceplate now. I've since given it a basic sand to clean up the support remnants and some stringing, and there's some under extrusion at the top that I need to bondo before it breaks.

On to the rest of the helmet then.

tCmcy5b.jpg

OK so looking at it doing the feet all in plastic seems like a bad idea, but at the same time I have accuracy concerns if I try to make it into a cover for an actual pair of shoes.

This is making my head hurt.

B720D09F-7B66-44FF-AF26-3D7F2CE78FC0.jpeg

Print the feet, then make a mold of it. You can sneak a tread or sole or maybe even an entire shoe into it.

Cast it in something like Task 16 rubber.

Print the feet, then make a mold of it. You can sneak a tread or sole or maybe even an entire shoe into it.

Cast it in something like Task 16 rubber.
I’ll keep that idea in mind. I’ve seen some people claiming they made printed boots work on their suits, but most of those were for IM suits where the boots came in multiple parts.

I’ll keep that idea in mind. I’ve seen some people claiming they made printed boots work on their suits, but most of those were for IM suits where the boots came in multiple parts.

There needs to be overlap of the moving parts if the shoe is made of rigid material.

The shoe you posted looks great for a static 3D print, but you have to get your foot in it. Also, the upper/proximal part of your ankle (tibia and fibula) rock back and forth while walking/posing. The opening will dig into your ankle (if/once you can get your foot in) when you try to move.

If you cast as one piece in rubber, the opening with deform as you walk vs having to make an artificially large hole to get your foot in and allow for movement.

Last edited:
There needs to be overlap of the moving parts if the shoe is made of rigid material.

The shoe you posted looks great for a static 3D print, but you have to get your foot in it. Also, the upper/proximal part of your ankle (tibia and fibula) rock back and forth while walking/posing. The opening will dig into your ankle (if/once you can get your foot in) and try to move.

If you cast as one piece in rubber, the opening with deform as you walk vs having to make an artificially large hole to get your foot in and allow for movement.
Yeah this is making me wonder if the DO3D files were actually designed for making a static display rather than a costume. And also why I was considering a TPU print for the boots and neck parts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back