Mk45 Iron Man (Now Helmet) Build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Fawbish, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

OK, so I had a crack at another Iron Man faceplate. Found a really great MK45 file, and shamefully can't remember whose file it was! I saved it under different names and now can't find it. Might have to go through my history. Anyhow - it printed out really well once I sorted out some good ways to break it up, ended up totally support free, and then I took a bit more time with sanding and smoothing. So pics!

Edit: I downloaded @Bogleo links, who I believe had smoothed out @MiddleFinger files. So thanks guys!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Re: Mk45 Iron Man Faceplate Build

So this project accidentally spilled over to the entire helmet. Having fun processing this, and last night included a magnet/snap on mechanism to allow the neck piece to be attached after you've put the main helmet on. For now, I may even add this magnet snap on feature to the faceplate also. Currently starting the long and arduous process of smoothing the thing ready for casting etc as I havent attempted a mold before. Should be good fun.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Jmen, ChronosDiox and Bogleo like this.
  3. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Finally got around to finishing this, with movement/eyes etc. Did it just in time for Halloween. So that was a relief! It's weird how we put pressure on ourselves to finish!

[​IMG][​IMG]

There are some major improvements for when I complete a project like this in the future now. It was all a bit slap dash when I should have designed more at the front end. The bowden cable solution worked pretty well but I could have aligned it better. Overall the print was way too small, and thus it hurt like hell when it operated. The lights I did very cheaply and they look great but I had to sacrifice vision, a common occurrence I'm sure. And the paint job is fine for pics but not great up close. So more effort in that department. However the main helmet is only sanded and acetoned, it isnt epoxied or anything. So thats quite good.

Attached Files: