Mjolnir's place of honor...

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After working on this project since the middle of March, it is finally complete.

The plaque itself is patterned after an ancient representation of Mjolnir that came in the form of a one thousand-year-old pendant found Kabbara in Scania, Sweden. (A fine replica of this pendant can be seen here.) A friend of mine actually came up with the idea of making the plaque in the shape of the hammer (he even made up the template of the shape for me).

The plaque is a flat piece of 3/4" thick wood, that I cut out with a circular saw, then shaped with a Dremel (+ routing bit) & wood-carving tools. The "hangers" are 1" diameter red oak dowels wrapped in leather, tipped by carvings of Fenrir made from poplar.

I would've made a tutorial for this, except for the fact that there isn't much to tutorialize. For the plaque, I just cut the shape & added the detail work. For the wolf heads, I carved away everything that didn't look like a wolf's head; however, I didn't want them resemble actual wolves too closely. I wanted the plaque to appear ancient, & I've noticed that artisans from thousands of years ago, didn't seem to pay too much mind to proportions.

The plaque is painted with 'Semi-flat Black' & highlighted with 'Hammered Brown'. The wolf heads are painted ''Anodized Bronze' & dry-rubbed with a mixture of 'Silver' & 'Antique Gold' paints. The back of the plaque is covered in (black) felt.

Anyway - - - "VOILA.":

<div align="CENTER">

</div>

big hammer.

awesome display :)

did you make the hammer as well?

it looks great. looks like you need a stone castle wall to hold it up too. great impression of mass on that thing.

chris

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ May 23 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]1249442[/snapback]</div>
For the wolf heads, I carved away everything that didn't look like a wolf's head; [/b]

So THAT'S how sculpting works. :lol :lol :lol

Great idea for a wall hanger. Well done..

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ May 24 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1249544[/snapback]</div>
big hammer.

awesome display :)

did you make the hammer as well?

it looks great. looks like you need a stone castle wall to hold it up too. great impression of mass on that thing.

chris
[/b]
Yeah, I built the hammer after seeing how BlindSquirrel made his in this thread. B):thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back