Mjolnir Thor 2 Hammer

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by JUSTINIAN, Aug 10, 2015.

1. JUSTINIAN

JUSTINIAN Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My son was turning 4 this month, and he said that he wanted a new Thor hammer. I got him the cheap foam one when he was 2, and he banged it around and chewed on it, until it fell apart. I said I would get him a new one. He thinks that he is getting another foam one, but I am going to be making a very high quality replica.

I liked the design from Thor 2 and I am pretty sure that it is the same design in AOU. So I went ahead and designed it in Corel.
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and did a test piece to see how the details would work. I used a laser cutter to engrave the details.
    [​IMG]

I was pretty happy with it, and felt that I was ready to start building the rest. I'll be making it in multiple sections.

Here is the base of the head All put together. It still needs some filler and sanding, but a great start.
    [​IMG]

Then with some primer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after some sanding, it was sealed with a gloss clear coat.
    [​IMG]

Once I let this dry, I'll start to make the molds.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    superyesway, Pro Mod and Shadeling like this.
  2. minhryan

minhryan New Member

What materials is that, it looks great

3. JUSTINIAN

It's made from laser cut acrylic and an engraving plastic (similar to ABS).

4. Shadeling

Shadeling Well-Known Member

I know what I'm adding to my Christmas wish list ;)
    Looks awsome

5. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Looks great!

Was there a little 'piece' left in the engraved top part?

Compared to the images above.. the engraved piece seems to have a 'left over' next to the 90 degree rotated 'V' part.. near the center (not sure how else to describe it...lol)

6. JUSTINIAN

Thanks. I'll have kits by the end of the month.
    Yes. There were a few stragglers leftover on the test piece. It was a rush job, just to see how the overall look was. The final ones will be much cleaner.

7. IAmTheClayman

IAmTheClayman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My god, you are literally the greatest dad. Definitely keeping an eye on this build, it looks great so far.

Also random question, but why do so many people use orange primer as opposed to white, black, etc? Does it help with the dry/wet sanding process?

8. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

nevertheless, ..still looks great so far!

*(I need to try this on my laser cutter!) :)

9. JUSTINIAN

Thanks! I use Dupli-Color high build primer. It comes in gray or brick red colors.
    Thanks. The possibilities with a laser are endless.

10. JUSTINIAN

I got the end cap finished. Here is the basic shape glued together. The seams need to be filled, and sanded smooth.
    [​IMG]

The back side has a recessed area to save on resin and weight.
    [​IMG]

After many coats of primer and sanding, it is done.
    [​IMG]

And it is a perfect fit with the base of the head.
    [​IMG]

Molding updates tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  11. IronMeg

IronMeg Active Member

This looks amazing! I don't know much about the laser cutting process, but I'm about to start looking into it lol.

12. andveryginger

andveryginger Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is gorgeous -- can't wait to see it finished! Your son is going to love it!

13. Pizzareal

Pizzareal New Member

I cannot wait to see it complete! Subbed

14. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

What are you going to make the handle out of?? I sure hope you incorporate leather and make it thick enough. Too many Mjolnirs made lately have the handle to "skinny."

15. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

question for ya:

How are you getting the beveled edges so your laser cut pieces align flush on the sides? (without gaps...etc)

thanks!
    -xl

16. ClintKent

ClintKent New Member

Great detail.

17. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*. Int.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

18. HammyDribbler

HammyDribbler Active Member

Love watching stuff like this come together. I get to see loads of new techniques being used, processes etc. and you guys throw it out there warts and all. I am currently keeping my fingers crossed that you are from up the road from me :)

19. JUSTINIAN

I'll be using leather for the strap, but no leather around the handle. I'm not good enough with leather for that. I will be making the handle the proper thickness though. it will be about 1 3/16 wide. It has a good feel.

The laser only cuts strait down, so I have to bevel the edges by hand. Some of the parts I used a belt sander, but some of the parts I used a router table. Very tedious, but the results are near perfect. There were slight gaps, but after some Bondo and sanding, they were not noticeable.

Update time!

I got the handle made. I used a 1/18" wooden dowel, and used filler primer to get it perfectly smooth, and get rid of the wood grain. Then I wrapped it with the raised details.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some sanding and primer it was a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

I also have the molds started. These parts used a lot of silicone. They will be finished later today, and I can start casting.
    [​IMG]

E60flip345 likes this.
  20. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

ah... ok.. that makes perfect sense.

I kept asking myself how the heck you got straight laser cut pieces to mesh like that! lol..

table router is a good suggestion. *(might have to go to my local makerspace to use one though)...

21. JUSTINIAN

The molds were a success!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handle is being molded now, and should be ready to cast tonight.

I also started on the pommel. This part has been very time consuming. I turned it on the lathe, and then added the raised ridge the same way that I did for the handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadeling likes this.
  22. JUSTINIAN

Got some decent work done this weekend. The pommel is finally finished. The detail work took forever, but I think it came out pretty perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final molds are setting up tonight, and if all goes well, I can cast some parts in the morning. Then I can finally get one finished.

Shadeling and minhryan like this.
  23. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Not sure if it's an optical illusion with the pics, but honestly, the pommel looks rather small for the handle.

24. JUSTINIAN

It's definitely an illusion. It looks perfect in person.

25. JUSTINIAN

The pommel has been molded. The first casting came out perfect, and I decided to try it with pewter as well. Here is the master, resin copy, and pewter copy.
    [​IMG]

The pewter ones are very close to perfect. The detail is not quite as crisp, but the look is better, and is much more durable. Here it is after an acid wash, and buffed with steel wool.
    [​IMG]

I also tried to find the right size leather for the strap, but there isn't anything that is pre made. SO I ordered some raw leather and some dye.
    [​IMG]

I started to paint the handle. After cleaning up the seam, I primed it and sprayed a gloss black for a base coat.
    [​IMG]

After letting that dry overnight, I sprayed some Alclad II chrome paint. This gave it a beautiful metal look.
    [​IMG]

Then I took some brown acrylic paint and hand painted the "leather" parts. Then a blackwash, and it was done.
    [​IMG]

I am loving how well this is coming together. More updates soon.

oldhope001 and Shadeling like this.
  26. JUSTINIAN

My son's birthday was this past weekend, and I was able to get his hammer finished. I used the resin handle, the pewter for the hilt, and then I made the head out of a foam rubber.

I dusted the molds with a metallic silver powder, and then brushed in a black rubber. It gave it a nice and durable skin. Then I filled the rest of the mold with Flex Foam-It 10. The final result was a very light and durable prop, that won't cause too much damage. Due to the time crunch I forgot to take progress pictures. Here are some pictures of him with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He absolutely loves it, and hasn't stopped hitting things with it. Now I just need to finish one for myself.

27. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

Now that is awesome!
    One lucky little fella there!

Congratulations on a superb build

28. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

Good job dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. Shadeling

Shadeling Well-Known Member

Fantastic job dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. JUSTINIAN

Thanks!

I decided to have a little fun with mine. I wanted it to have some good weight to it, so I cast the head hollow, and cut a hole in the side.

[​IMG]

Then I mixed up some concrete. It's cheap easy to work with, and heavy.

[​IMG]

Then filled up the head.

[​IMG]

It was dry enough the next day, to assemble the side cap, and paint it. I did the black base coat, and then the Alclad II Chrome, and then a blackash and sealed it with an auto clear. I forgot to take pictures again, but here is the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The total weight is about 14 lbs. It's not a lot, but it's enough to take people by surprise.

I still need to make one final light weigh one for myself. But that will probably have to wait until after Dragoncon.

oldhope001 likes this.
  31. duality

duality Active Member

I'll hapilly make an investment in the heavy one once you get the lighter one ironed out.... Fine build sir.

32. JUSTINIAN

The heavy one is super cool, but it is very tiring to hold.

Small update. I made some progress on my high quality normal weight hammer. Here it is with a gloss black base coat.
    [​IMG]

And again with the chrome paint.
    [​IMG]

I'll be bringing this one to Dragon Con this weekend. If you see me, say hi.

Once I get back I'll do a photo shoot, and make kits available.

Shadeling likes this.
  33. JUSTINIAN

Kits are finally available.
    [​IMG]

Check the junkyard or PM for details.

Murdoch, Jmen and dontfeedmyego like this.
  34. Sisko4

Sisko4 Member

Can only recommend his Hammer-Kit!
    Very clean Casts, just a few little Things to sand and ready for Assembly / Painting!

[​IMG]

35. pajamaben

pajamaben New Member

Is this not in the Junkyard anymore?

36. medic2410p

medic2410p Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

37. JUSTINIAN

It's in the project run section.

38. glaysonmestre

glaysonmestre New Member

this file for download ??? exist this hammer in papercraft?? same messures??

39. Thorlief Golmen

Thorlief Golmen Active Member

This is just an amazing build...you can't tell the difference between this and the movie prop...

amazing work...

for the chrome what type of chrome paint did you used? I've tried many times to get that effect on a helmet I have but never comes out right even after using black gloss as a base...

- - - Updated - - -

How much for a kit btw?

40. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Price is posted:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247076

41. JUSTINIAN

Thank you. I used Alclad chrome on top of a high gloss black. The black must have a mirror perfect finish, in order to work properly. The Alclad is applied with an airbrush with many super thin coats. Almost dusting the surface. Once that is dry, wipe it gently with a microfiber cloth. Hopefully that helps.

42. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you found Alclad to be durable? It seemed to scratch and chip very easily when I tried it, and that's after letting it dry for a few days before the microfiber polishing. I'd often find spots where it rubbed right through to the black undercoat, but any kind of sealer immediately screws up the metallic finish.

43. JUSTINIAN

Yes, this is the downside of Alclad. I seal mine with an acrylic paint. If you do it in a few light coats, it won't mess up the metallic look. You can then do a coat of high gloss on top, and make it shine again.

44. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would you mind expanding on what specific paints or materials you use to seal the Alclad?

45. JUSTINIAN

I use Minwax Polycrylic. But I have also used some acrylic airbrush clear coats. Do some testing, to see what works for you. The acrylic clear is just to create a barrier between the Alclad and whatever top coat you want.

46. Norcal88

Norcal88 New Member

Amazing build looks perfect!