mixing paint with latex?

th3 pr3dat0r

ok guys i know ive been posting topics i need help with and don't say searchbar is your friend because i research before posting ,but anyways back ontopic. i was wondering if you can mix acrylic paint or what kind of paint you can mix with latex if its possible. like say i want the base skin color to be yellowish, could i mix the color paint with latex? would it look horrible because if it is gonna look stupid i wont bother
thanks

Yes, I believe you can mix paint with latex. NOT oil-based..
I think the colour gets a bit darker when it dryes later on, so you might get the colour wrong if you blend it excactly as you want it first.

Kotten

If I'm correct, in the second huntorial he's mixing latex and acrylics with water. That is not a great idear. You'll get into problems with your latex after a while.

A long time ago I found a tutorial on youtube to paint latex masks and I'm still painting the same way they showed on the video.

Here's what I do:

First get an airbrushgun with an external mix, I'll tell you later why.

Mix the acrylpaint with a small amount of latex, make it thinner with ammonia. You'll have to find out the thickness of your mixture, this depends on the diameter of your gun nozzle (hope I spell this correct).

You will see that the mixture is lighter, when it's dry you'll see that it is darker. Almost like the acrylic paint his original colour

This paint will not crack on your skin or mask, the latex keeps it flexible. But when you use an internal mix you'll see that after a few minutes you have to clean your gun because the latex in the paint will block up your internal mixing system.

For light shading you can use only acrylics with ammonia. Like that you can work in close details. This small amount of paint will not crack and the ammonia in your paint "chews" into the latex surface. Use the same mixture for drybrushing.

Always work in a ventilated area and wear some breathing protection.

When your finished, clean your airbrush gun, the ammonia is agressive against the copper layer in your spray gun.

If I'm correct, in the second huntorial he's mixing latex and acrylics with water. That is not a great idear. You'll get into problems with your latex after a while.
Can you elaborate on the problems?

A long time ago I found a tutorial on youtube to paint latex masks and I'm still painting the same way they showed on the video.
Do you have the link?

Buying the equipment to airbrush the latex might not be prudent for someone just starting out. What would you suggest for someone applying the mixture with a roller/brush?

Here's a thread with some airbrushing tips, in case you already have a compressor:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...;hl=spray+latex

I mix fairly cheap acrylic paints with latex all the time for facial appliances. Just did a new version of my Wraith for Visioncon with a latex/acrylic mix and it worked out great. Made it much easier to apply and since I made a bit extra, it made blending the edges a snap. I even painted the rest of my face with the colored latex so it would match perfectly and not smudge like makeup.

Now...the stuff darkens A LOT when it sets/dries. Like massively darker. My pale sea-foam set up almost forest green. Just a touch of acrylic will tint a butt-load of latex. I'll have to thin mine out drastically before I do the next pull. I'll be doing the same thing for my Klingon ridges in a couple weeks to get ready for Starfest.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back