Mitcheg1's Iron Patriot 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Mitcheg1

After taking my son to see Iron Man 3, he told me he wanted to build an Iron Patriot costume. After whipping together a really bad cardboard version, which he loved, I decided I could do much better! That's when i first stumbled onto the RPF and learned about building costumes with EVA foam and Pepakura.

I have no experience with building costumes, although I do build props for halloween occassionally! So i read as much as I could on working with EVA and got to work.
6u8aha7e.jpg

I've struggled with sizing and built an initial helmet and chest piece that was way too big for my son. However, it gave me a good practice run at working with the foam. I also attempted to harden the design using wood glue with an overcoat of polyurethane! It definitely hardened the suit but painting was a challenge. I couldn't mask off areas with masking tape as it would peel the paint off underneath. I ended up painting by hand with acrylic paints.
avedyqym.jpg

I'm almost complete with my "MKII". Version and have finally got the sizing down. I'm most proud of the details I was able to etch into the chest and forearm. I found that a soldering iron was ideal for capturing these features.
ameve6a7.jpg

Only a few weeks left til Halloween so I need to get moving. Gotta rebuild the helmet and neck piece and this time I plan to Rondo the whole piece. Hopefully I don't mess it up and the process.

Hope you all like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Progress Update!
Got most of the body done and I've been add buttons and elastic straps to hold everything together!

I need to get to Rondoing this thing! Several of the seems split from all the handling! Not happy about that!
yvazu3u9.jpg

Started the resin coat! Still getting the hang of this! I'm using the guidance from Cereal Killers videos, but on foam! Hope it translates!
anamedez.jpg

5uzehapa.jpg

This looks very, very cool so far. And despite the fact that putting resin directly on foam is generally thought to damage it, I think yours actually looks fine - no harm done. Can't wait to see more, I'm sure you will have one happy kid for Halloween.

So I was worried about the resin on foam. It certainly would dissolve open cell foam (like styrofoam), but I found nothing online regarding its effect on EVA so I took a chance! So far it's looking fine!

A few lessons learned (tips/tricks)
1) use high temp hot glue - I didn't think of this until I saw a post recently, but I was over half done at that point. I've had to repair several seams today (not sure if it's from the resin or from it sitting out in the Florida sun to dry)
2) two coats of resin on foam, minimum! (First coat was tacky and almost appeared to have soaked into the foam even 12 hours later). Second coat is drying nicely!
3) use 12 drops of hardener for every once of resin (the directions said 10 drops and it was not hardening properly. I noticed in Cereal Killl3rs video he uses 18 drops per ounce and a half. This made a big difference. Resin definitely started hardening just as I was getting to the last bit - that didn't happen last night when I used 10 drops)!
4) work with 1 ounce batches. Anymore and you'll just waste material

Mad scramble at the end, but finished just in time for Halloween! My son was a HUGE hit in the neighborhood! Overall, I'm pleased with how it came out and learned alot in the process! Hope you all like it!
7ujydape.jpg

aba8yqa7.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back