Mist coats

rms77

Hi,

Have been lurking on here for a while but this is my first post - I have found so much useful information and inspiration on here and am now starting to make use of the lockdown to try and put some of that into practice. I've just finished a Bandai 1/350 millennium falcon and despite trying to apply my weathering with a light touch, I think it has ended up being a little contrasty for the scale. I've seen a number of posts mention that this can be fixed by applying a mist coat of the base colour to dial back the contrast, but I haven't seen anything on what kind of dilution to use. Is there a standard dilution that people use for a mist coat? I have a flat coat of Vallejo acrylic matt applied to the model at the moment. Do I need to apply a gloss coat before I spray the mist coat? I'm using Vallejo model air paint and Vallejo airbrush thinner.

Thanks in advance!

Just use the recommended thinner for the paint you're using. Clear flat can also be mixed in to help with the transparency. But it's mostly a matter of spraying technique, set the airbrush for low air pressure and low paint volume, and spray with a sweeping motion across the model. This will deposit a very thin layer of paint. Test this on something first, like a Kleenex box, to see how it builds up. You should still be able to see the box printing through the paint.

Also check out Andy's Hobby Headquarters on Youtube. He finishes most of his tank builds with a mist coat of Buff to give it a dusty look, it will help to see the technique being done.

I haven't done it with Vallejo, but with Tamiya, for a mist coat, I thin it almost to the level I would do for a wash. i.e. you want a LOT of thinner and you want to spray very lightly

The advice to practice on some old scrap or similar is a good one

Thanks very much for your replies. This really helpful. I'll give it a go after I've done several practice runs. Thanks!

Hi,

Here's what I have at the moment. I haven't tried mist coating yet, and to be honest I think I might leave it for now and see how I feel about it in a few weeks. It's the first model I've done on this scale and while I think it could be a shade lighter, but I don't want to risk ruining it.

I'm sure I'll need to do a mist coat on a model at some point, so the above advice is really useful.

MF 1 (3).jpg
MF 2 (3).jpg

Attachments

• MF (1).jpg
    MF (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. Having looked at both of your work, it means a lot. Yes, I think I'll leave this one alone and move on to the blockade runner that came with it. The detail that Bandai managed to work into these kits is incredible.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back