1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Limited Run Mission Impossible Leather IMF Folder (original series)

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Indy Magnoli, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of our customers requested we replicate the IMF folder from the original Mission: Impossible series. It'd be best to do this as a run, so if anyone else is interested, let us know and we'll gauge quantities accordingly. Price will be $75 (plus shipping, $12 via airmail or $18 via courier). Please make your purchase within the next week or so through our website: http://www.magnoliprops.com/imf-leather-folder-journals-p-594.html

The folder measures 9" x 14" with a 2" spine. It's made in genuine leather with gold foiled front text.

Later next week, we'll do the run based on the number of orders received. We may make a few extra for those who missed out, but this may be a one-time run.

extra-image-1412.jpg

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

DB537 likes this.
  2. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interested

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Indy Magnoli likes this.
  3. DB537

I'm kind of surprised that there's not more interest for this one.

4. cyberblock

cyberblock Active Member

I'm interested but alas there's only so much budget in my account. I'm following this in case funds free up.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  5. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great to see that you're doing this, Indy!

I've been searching for one of these on and off for years. Ready to order, pending a little more information.

May I ask about screen-accuracy, and what reference resources you've used to recreate the folder?

Thanks!

6. Indy Magnoli

temponaut

Based soled on screengrabs from the original show. For the lettering, I used the closest font I could find, then modified each letter to match the original gold text as closely as possible. The only creative liberties I took was adding the interior corner pieces for practicality. Sizing was guessed from what was seen on screen, comparing to standard foolscap file sizes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  7. temponaut

Thanks, Indy.

Order placed! :D

8. GDafi

GDafi Sr Member

Nice work

9. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I’m in. Been searching for something I can modify into this for years now. I even have some photos ready for it, but now I’ll have to step it up and make a few better ones.

10. Indy Magnoli

Are you saying we can improve our design? If so, please let us know as we can certainly tweak the pattern for this run.

11. dbuck

Perhaps I phrased that badly. I have some dossier photos I need to improve.

12. Indy Magnoli

Ah, right. We've actually had a request to put together a dossier file for this portfolio as well. We may add this option to the run... more news later this week.

DB537 likes this.
  13. DB537

I'd also be interested in the dossier file in the near future. I've got a print of one of the Rollin/Landau photos but couldn't ever find any of the other ones.

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  14. temponaut

Likewise.

15. temponaut

Any news on the possible addition of the dossier option?

16. Indy Magnoli

Working on it... but turns out it's a LOT of work. ;) And, unfortunately, two of our full time employees are gone all week, so I'm doing triple duty this week.

17. dbuck

The dossier photos are hard. With a few exceptions there isn’t much out there. There are at least a couple of each of the main characters in the first few seasons, the Martin Landau ones are fairly easy, there is one version of Peter Lupus that can be done but not the magazine cover. Barbara Bain has no photos available that match her ‘magazine’ covers, Greg Morris has no photos that match either the Collier electronics pamphlet or the later 8x10, Leonard Nimoy has photos from the same shoot but not the same photo that they use for Paris. Even the Bruce Geller photo they use as a throwaway joke I have never seen. There is one of Wally Cox that is probably good enough to recreate his Terry Targo from the pilot episode.

DB537 likes this.
  18. DB537

Just as a suggestion, the entire series is available on Amazon in HD if anyone has access to it and can take better screencaps.

This show is LONG overdue for a Blu-ray release, and there are so many great prop reference shots to be found in M:I for newspapers,
    IDs, and all kinds of other vintage prop documents that were pretty commonly reused among different shows for decades because they
    all were made by Earl Hays Press.

19. Ikaemos

Ikaemos New Member

"genuine leather"? meaning "cheap" leather? What if you made these using a better leather like goat or calf? Might feel better and look better despite a price increase, but in the end would LAST longer and age better. I once got a blank grail diary journal from someplace which was made with "genuine leather" and it felt so bad I threw it away. I'd be up for paying for quality leather on a piece like this.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  20. Indy Magnoli

These are made in a high quality sheep leather.

DB537 likes this.
  21. DB537

I'm going to try to go through some of the episodes and see if I can get decent screencaps of the various dossier images.
    I tried once before but lost the images when the hard drive crashed on my old computer. I also was never able to find the
    clear plastic holders with the silver edge trim.

22. Indy Magnoli

Yeah, I figured the best way to do the dossiers was using regular clear plastic holders and aluminum tape along the edges.

23. temponaut

The screen-used folders look like that to me -- regular clear plastic to which reflective silver tape has been added along the edges.

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  24. DB537

I have been going through screencaps and searching for the dossier images, and I found the alternate Bruce Geller photo which they used in season 2 episode 7. It seems to be the only photograph of him that even exists online. I also found a decent resolution image of what looks like one of the original dossier photos of Barney.

I believe that there are enough different somewhat close-up shots of most of the other main character photos (and even some of the other rejects), that they could all be remade in a decent resolution with some work. It will take a lot of time to do that many photos but it can be done. I also have found a recycled element from a newspaper clipping that matches a prop newspaper in my collection, and this can be used to determine the exact measurements of the holders.

Bruce Geller.jpg MI S2E7 B. Geller.png

MI Barney Collier.jpg

I also have a very high resolution reprint of one of Rollin's yellow border photo variants that was used a lot in season 1 and 2.

MI Rollin Hand.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  25. temponaut

Outstanding legwork on the dossier photos, DF537!

In addition to your recon on the photos, I especially like this:

That is AWESOME. :D

I really wish we could come up with the Elite and Lady Beautiful magazine covers of Cinnamon. I've searched for them off and on for years, with no luck. Likewise with the Willie "Sets New World Record" photo. As you wrote, there may be enough different close-ups for someone with skills to put together good-quality complete photos.

It sure would be nice to have the Collier Electronics brochure and the letter from the Department of the Air Force beneath it in the folder. The brochure is often at different angles in the clear sleeve, but my sense is that part of the text of the letter is always obscured. I wonder if we have any way to get the correct, complete text.

In any case, my hat's off to you on a great job! :thumbsup

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  26. DB537

The text should be easy for most of these covers and photos. I already have all the typefaces as fonts except the 'Elite' which should be fairly easy to draw.

The only really difficult thing about the Collier brochure is the odd logo at the bottom. Since it's already a small photo, it shouldn't be too hard to recreate from a couple of the better screencaps. The Air Force letter pretty clearly just had the header and logo pasted to the top and then recopied. You can still see the edges of the cut in the copy. It appears to be a copy of a real letter addressed to 'Mr. Fred Steifler, Aerospace Industries Association of America, Inc., 7660 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles", and is dated September 13, 1960. About 65-70% of the complete text is visible based on the screencaps I have reviewed so far, which is not quite enough to make sense of the rest of it.

27. Indy Magnoli

DB537, I'd like to see what you come up with for a size of the IMF folder. We're about to start this run, so maybe you could compare your clipping to the sleeve and the sleeve to the folder? It'd be good to get a second opinion...

28. DB537

The box around 'Transit Problems Given Airing at B-M-R Convention' and 'Newly Zoned Area Results in 150 More Building Permits' is exactly 1 15/16 inches wide. This is based on measurements of original prop newspapers in my collection that have the exact same recycled elements included.

In the Barry Atwater screencap, the measurement from the top border of the 'B-M-R' story box to the edge of the silver tape is approximately 2 5/16 inches.

vlcsnap-2018-10-06-02h38m16s948.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-02h38m43s996.png vlcsnap-2018-10-01-21h24m34s655.png

The following three screencaps of the dossier photo for a guest agent include a standard size 3.5 x 2 inch business card.

vlcsnap-2018-10-06-00h09m12s967.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-00h09m17s860.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-00h25m51s032.png

This should be enough information for someone to calculate the approximate dimension of the holders, silver tape, and the photos.
    I would do it myself, but I don't have the patience for pixel counting and I'm not really all that good at it.

The IMF folder appears to be only slightly larger in length and width than the photo holders, but the spine is somewhat thick to leave plenty of room for lots of photos.

vlcsnap-2018-10-06-03h09m54s272.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-16h10m10s851.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-00h25m25s853.png

The folder appears be just small enough to fit into a standard 1960s 18 x 12 inch briefcase.
    I believe brand of the case was 'Presto', but I've had no luck in finding one, so this model might be very rare today.

vlcsnap-2018-10-06-01h42m47s207.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-01h47m16s168.png vlcsnap-2018-10-01-21h23m20s729.png
    vlcsnap-2018-10-06-01h42m42s266.png vlcsnap-2018-10-06-01h48m49s708.png

Here's the Elite magazine title. The top is a vector tracing taken from a straightened screencap, and the bottom is from the retyped modern version of the typeface as a font.

Elite1.png

Here is the rest of the cover text:

Cover Text1.png

This is the text for one of the alternate covers:

vlcsnap-2018-10-01-21h24m04s179.png LB Cover Text.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  29. Indy Magnoli

Ok, so based on these grabs and comparing to the business card, the photos are definitely 8x10. So, I think the clear sheets are legal sized of 9" x 14 1/4". So I think I'm going to increase the size of the folder to 9.5" x 15" ( 1" larger than legal). Also, that top view of the folder makes the spine look wider, so I'm increasing this to 3" as well. We're starting the run immediately and will keep everyone posted!

DB537 likes this.
  30. temponaut

Thanks, DB537, for the splendid intel and data, and thanks, Indy, for your intelligent conclusions and changes to the sizing of your folder. Excellent work, guys!

Indy, have you determined yet whether you'll be doing the dossier photos and clear sleeves, too, or just the IMF leather folder? I hope you'll do the whole lot -- along with an option for additional, empty clear sleeves. ;)

DB537 likes this.
  31. DB537

I found a couple of different straight screenshots and was able to measure them and calculate that the width of the photo holders including the silver tape is actually 9.5 inches, which is based on the pictures being standard 8" x 10" photos. The silver tape or trim appears to be approximately 0.4" wide based on my measurements. I would therefore recommend making the folder approximately 10" x 16" to better fit the known dimension of the photo holders and more closely match the measurements of the folder as seen in the briefcase screencaps.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  32. Indy Magnoli

Since we're getting so detailed on these... should we leave off the additional corner tabs I added to our initial prototype? What's the consensus? I thought they'd be a practical addition, but would be deviating from screen accuracy.

33. DB537

I'd prefer leaving them off, but it would be acceptable either way for me.

Another detail I have noticed is that the upper left serif on the 'M' in the IMF stamp is shorter than the one on the right side.

Here is the text for Paris' photo.

vlcsnap-2018-10-08-01h58m42s997.png Paris Text.png

Text for the Hartford Repertory Company cover that was used when they needed a lot of 'extras' for a mission.
    I was able to locate the exact logo on an unrelated prop from another production, so I have updated this with the high quality image.
    Hartford Repertory Logo.png Hartford Repertory.png

I also found another one of the Rollin photos.

Rollin Hand2.jpg

The 2nd version of Willy's photo.

Willy Armitage 2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try to see if I can put together the police report for Terry Targo from the pilot episode.
    I think I have enough to recreate it but it will require different fingerprints. The ones in the screenshots aren't usable.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  34. temponaut

I prefer screen-accurate. I'm not planning on using this as a practical folder. :D

35. DB537

The HD version of 11 episodes from the first half of season 1 is available FREE on CBS.com if someone else wants to try getting good screencaps of the photos. The entire series is also available in HD through CBS All Access and Amazon video if anyone already has paid access to those. My internet is super slow and I can't get HD video to stream properly without lagging and skipping. You'll have to set the video quality to high and view it full screen, but the image quality is a lot better than the DVD set from what I could see of it.

The second half of the 2-part episode won't be worth checking because it doesn't have any new shots.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  36. DB537

Collier Electronics Brochure. Photo is from an HD screencap, but probably could still be improved.

Collier Electronics v2.png

EDIT 10/16: Replaced seal/logo with more accurate design which seems to be based on a piece of the US Air Force seal.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Indy Magnoli likes this.
  37. DB537

The M:I Television Scores soundtrack set has this photo of Geller.
    It's not the same one used for his photo in the show, but it's similar.

CD Set Geller.jpg

EDIT: I made the fake Phelps magazine cover from S3 E11, 'The Freeze'.
    Might be an item that could be used as filler.

Newsmonth Phelps - The Freeze 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  38. DB537

From episode 1, this is the wanted poster / dossier photo for Terry Targo.

[​IMG]

It was not possible to use the fingerprints as they appear in the episode. There wasn't enough information available in the screenshots, and fingerprints are too complex to recreate. I replaced them with some vector fingerprint artwork that I found online and altered them so that they were the same approximate size and shape as those on the original poster.

EDIT: I have updated Barney's brochure in the post above with a photo taken from an HD screencap. It could probably still be improved more. I believe I may have also identified the logo at the bottom. I think it's a modified piece of the Air Force seal. I am working on the letter that goes with it. I have the top section finished. It's only one page of what was originally a multi-page letter, so it's probably not possible to find the source for the real letter anymore. It is going to take some time to fill in the missing 1/3 of the letter in a way that makes sense not only as a generic letter, but as a part of Barney's file that is included for a logical reason.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  39. temponaut

Very nice work, DB537! :love

DB537 likes this.
  40. Indy Magnoli

Very nice work DB537 ! You're making this dossier build very easy! ;)

DB537 likes this.
  41. DB537

Thanks! I want to do all that I can to ensure that it turns out as good as possible. I've wanted one of these for years.

I've tried to complete Barney's letter, but it can't be filled in with information about him in any way that it still makes sense. There's too much visible text that is clearly from an unrelated letter, so there's no way fill in the blanks to make it look like a letter of recommendation or anything similar. In other episodes, I've noticed that they used unmodified blank television studio contracts as prop documents, and that passport photos are embossed with old discarded corporate seals from businesses.

These are details that were never meant to be seen clearly in the 1960s era of small screen standard definition TVs. I can make the date and address on the Air Force letter match, but everything else will have to be replaced to make any sense at all. I'll also post a blank version of the letter if anyone else wants to give it a try, but it will be difficult unless you're trying to fill in the generic details already present.

EDIT: Here is my version of Barney's letter. I made it a letter of recommendation based on bits and pieces of real documents I found online and heavily edited sections of his character's Wikipedia description. If you want to try to make your own with the blank version, the font is 'Underwood Champion' and is the closest match I could find.

View attachment 849447 View attachment 849446

I have updated the Hartford Repertory Company graphic with the full resolution version of the logo which I found on an unrelated prop from another production. I also managed to find the exact border/trim design element that was used for their full page, but I haven't had time to create a full size version of it yet.

Hartford Repertory Logo.png [​IMG]

EDIT 10/18: I checked some other episodes with the Air Force letter and the address at the top is not abbreviated as I had assumed it would be.
    I have corrected the mistake. I will probably be making other revisions over the next few days. Today I am going to see if I can do Willy's weightlifting record photo (it's actually a magazine page), and at least one of Cinnamon's covers. I tried once already to make the Elite cover but was not satisfied with the result. I'll see if I can get it to turn out any better the second time.

42. DB537

Cinnamon's Elite magazine cover. The photo was very difficult to work with even using the best closeup screencap available.
    I had to deal with a lot of film grain and color correction issues. It's good enough for me until a better reference image turns up.

I'm basing all of the magazine covers and pages on the standard page size of 8.375" x 10.875"

View attachment 849452

I've noticed an issue where some of the images don't show up when I reload the page.
    Even if you can't see them, you should be able to click on the attachment to load it.

I have found the blue border element that was used around the outside edge of the Nimoy/Paris photo.
    I will update this post tonight with more info. I should also have the weightlifting photo of Willy done by then.

Here is the completed Hartford Repertory Company sheet. It had different photos added in different arrangements
    every time it was shown. Because of this I have left the photos off and you can customize it however you prefer.
    Size is 8" x 10".

View attachment 849480

43. temponaut

Wow! DB537, that's outstanding! I envy your skills! :love

DB537 likes this.
  44. DB537

Willy's 'new world record' magazine page:

[​IMG]

In the 'Want To Buy' section I have made an offer to pay anyone with access to Amazon Prime or CBS All Access who
    can take HD screencaps from the dossier scenes in 7 specific episodes so that I can finish the other alternate photos.

45. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

Great job everyone! Kudos for taking on the “impossible.” I’m really loving the details going into this thread. Eitherways, good to know I’m not the only fan of the original show.

DB537 likes this.
  46. DB537

I found a better full version of the alternate Geller photo that was used in the TV scores soundtrack set.

It's not the exact same one that was used on screen, but it's clearly from the same photo shoot and looks similar.

I had to do a little work on it because it's scanned from a photo in a book, but it should print ok.

View attachment 849746

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  47. DB537

Here's the 2nd magazine cover for Cinnamon. I don't know if I'll do the 3rd one. It's definitely more complex, so I don't know if I'd be able to get a good result.

Cinnamon LB Cover.jpg

Thanks to @Clutch, I now have HD screencaps for the remaining dossier photos, and will finish the rest of those soon.

Here are Barney's last 2 photos. The first one is a cleaned up version of that decent resolution scan I found online, and the other one is a composite of about 4 different HD screencaps I put together. Both photos should be 8x10.

View attachment 850064 View attachment 850065

I think Paris only ever had the one photo, and I still need to make that one, along with the last 2 photos of Willy. I'll work on some of the other guest agent photos when all the regulars are finished.

Here's a screencap of the Paris photo. It's straight enough to estimate the dimensions of the photo portion and the length of the holder based on the width. You can't see all of the bottom, but you can see the top edge of the silver tape. I've already calculated that the width of these holders including silver tape would have to be approx. 9.5 inches, with the silver tape being approx. 0.4 inches wide by itself. If someone can help me figure out the total length of the holder and the exact dimensions of the Nimoy photo, I should be able to complete it tonight. The border trim detailing around his photo will have to be added individually one segment at a time in Illustrator, so it will be a lot easier to get all the proportions right if we can determine the photo size.

Paris.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  48. DB537

I was able to make a much better version of Willy's 2nd photo from the clearer image that dbuck posted in the paper props thread.
    [​IMG]

I had a harder time with the 3rd version of his photo. Even in the HD screenshots it's always out of focus in the closeups, so this one is only barely passable.

[​IMG]

49. DB537

Early season 1 Rollin photo

[​IMG]

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  50. Indy Magnoli

Great work, DB537 ! At this point, I'm waiting for the plastic sleeves and chrome tape (bought three different types to see which will look best). The plan is to make a dossier consisting of 10 sleeves filled with various pieces. Once the supplies arrive, we'll post the final set. We won't be mimicking any particular episode, season, etc... just try to get a nice sampling of various characters, photos, inserts, etc....

DB537 and scotthm like this.