Mirror paint

JediMichael

Master Member
Was looking up chrome paints after reading Fett_Ish's T-800 thread.

Found this Mirror paint that is claimed to be the world's mirroriest mirror chrome paint.

It's $38 (plus shipping) for a little bottle (15 ml)
MIRROR_POUR_-_HD_720p.2020-06-19_14_54_42_480x480.gif

It's from the site,
www.culturehustleusa.com

Which has a bunch of other cool looking paints, including the worlds blackest black.
Has anyone ever bought from them and used any of this paint?
It cost more then I've ever spent on paint...but, if it is really good, could be worth it. Wanted to see what anyone else might say.

I did find this review from this girl that tries it on differnt surfaces.

I have used another mirror paint,

I was really surprised about the result, and even does not need a gloss black surface.
this was painted on a test print with minimal sanding and with just one coat of semi gloss, creme coloured primer.

you can see some pits from dust and removed resin print support material, it was a quick test after receiving the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.mp4
    6.8 MB

I was really surprised about the result, and even does not need a gloss black surface.
this was painted on a test print with minimal sanding and with just one coat of semi gloss, creme coloured primer.

you can see some pits from dust and removed resin print support material, it was a quick test after receiving the paint.
That looks good as well.
They have more options to buy from, but even the cheapest looks like it would cost me around $77

The biggest issue I've had with the cheaper spray on chromes, is even after it is good and dry (even a months later), it easily can get scuffs and marks just from touching it.
How does this one hold up?

That looks good as well.
They have more options to buy from, but even the cheapest looks like it would cost me around $77

The biggest issue I've had with the cheaper spray on chromes, is even after it is good and dry (even a months later), it easily can get scuffs and marks just from touching it.
How does this one hold up?
Like most, if not all, real chrome paints you need a topcoat over it, and they supply a good waterbased topcoat for this.
The problem with chrome paints is that scratching will make it dull, and even a finger wipe or micro cloth will scratch it and make it dull, it doesn't scratch that it removes paint, but damages the top layer, and with chrome you see any minute damage to the surface.

What I really like about this paint, I don't need so spend hours creating the perfect black gloss finish.

Like most, if not all, real chrome paints you need a topcoat over it, and they supply a good waterbased topcoat for this.
The problem with chrome paints is that scratching will make it dull, and even a finger wipe or micro cloth will scratch it and make it dull, it doesn't scratch that it removes paint, but damages the top layer, and with chrome you see any minute damage to the surface.

What I really like about this paint, I don't need so spend hours creating the perfect black gloss finish.
I have tried a topcoat gloss spray, but it either completely dulls it down, or even beads up making it ruined. (Thankfully was only a test piece)
Not sure how waterbased would work, or if they have a spray or would need to be brushed on.
I'm not currently working on a project, but a year ago I went through way too much frustration trying to figure this out for a project.

I've picked up this paint and a "higher-end" product, too. I've not used it yet but it looks promising if you're just wanting a simple display piece with minimal interaction. Anything that's gonna be handled, you're definitely want to go with something more robust (and unfortunately more involving).

You're not the first to complain about it dulling after a topcoat. I don't think these were ever meant for heavier handling. This is like other mirror paints I've bought (though this seems to be more reflective than others I've used), it grants decent reflectivity but it's still towards the lower end of products, and meant to be accessible for everyone. You can brush with it but it streaks; you can airbrush it, but its finish is still very fragile; you can seal it, but the surface loses its sheen. Plus and minuses. It ultimately depends on what you want to do with your piece that decides what you need to use.

I've only just started getting into chroming things and it definitely is an investment. I have the materials and now I need to set up a dedicated paint booth and get a beefier compressor to handle it all. The latter is the hardest step for me to crossover, as the gear that it also needs is kinda pricey, but it's something I think all of us who want to produce truly chrome finishes need to do.

My Agents of Shield emblem I made last is so extremely scuffleable.
I actually had to take it off the wall like 2 months ago, just for a little bit. Only handled the non chrome edges, carefully set it down, and then re hung it later. It somehow ended up with this mark.

20210723_162403.jpg

I'd love to know how durable it is? Can it stand much handling before it starts to rub away?

I'm curious to know if this is a lacquer or enamel? I doubt it's acrylic as you can't really get that level of shine out of water based paints.
Is is airbrushable straight out of the bottle or do you require their own branded thinner?

There is some mirror chrome kits for sale on the bay these are very mirror and require a sealer coat of clear this system is water base other that a clear of your choice also walmart has a cool mirror paint it has a mirror cap I have used this with great work check out my Mando bust build I used this paint on this project with great results and its like 3 or 4 bucks a can very cool subject thanks for sharing

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back