Mirror mirror on the wall... Ravenna build thread (Snow White and the Huntsman)

MadAlice

I don't know if any of you have seen "Snow White and the Huntsman". Not the best movie, but the visuals and costumes were amazing.

426336_10152137938920224_2083536435_n.jpg

This was the wedding dress worn by the evil queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron). It stands out with the shoulder piece, and I love the details (lots of embroidery and embellishments). :love

The first thing to figure out will be the pattern. It looks like several pieces and I'm not sure if/where they are adjoined. Second challenge will be finding the right fabric and materials. THEN it all needs to be put together with a lot of patience. :rolleyes I'm not gonna worry about the shoulder piece yet. I already have some ideas and am gonna try them out once the dress itself is making progress.

Designer Colleen Atwood said this was her most labor-intensive piece, and it took 4 skilled costumers over a month to make. So with me working full-time and travelling a lot, this thread will be here for a loooooong time. :lol

Oh wow, I completely forgot I had opened a thread for this costume! :$ After some more research I started sewing early this year and finished by the end of September - yes, this really was the most work I've ever put into a costume...

First I made a simple white dress and constructed the golden bodice (with lacing through little golden flowers) as a separate piece. I then tried to copy the embroidery as closely as possible. Next came the sleeves, which I laced again with little flowers and pearls.

mow8dxuu.jpg
sxkdmnou.jpg

For the skirt I alternately sewed 44 white and golden fabric pieces together with piping inbetween. It took me forever to get that right because the white fabric was stretchy and the golden wasn't. :facepalm That's a mistake I won't ever make again!

urseaod9.jpg
7avabd92.jpg

Last but not least, the shoulder pieces! I folded them out of cardboard that I had painted with wood stain. Half of the stripes are folded up, half of them down and sideways. The whole thing is then reinforced with wire.

spqvw36v.jpg
eaztsk7d.jpg

And here are some pictures of the finished costume. Not perfect, but as close as I could get - and I really like how it turned out. :love

ul4ad5ac.jpg
4bb56ucs.jpg
vvc3nhn3.jpg
apaofjzt.jpg
62rrb5zi.jpg
jo8xqryl.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back