Millennium Falcon Refurbishment

Strikerkc

Sr Member
So, this is the first general modeling thread I've done.

I've been wanting to take an old millennium falcon model I've had for 20+ years, strip it down, add electronics, do some repairs and repaint. I've built, converted, and painted, a ton of wargaming miniatures; though I've never really done it with traditional model kits like this one, and I've never messed with electronics before (I've got the gear and bits for it, I just haven't done it), so it'll be pretty simple stuff that I add on.

My father and I built this one when I was 10 or younger, and painted it using a crummy paint kit meant for models 1/8 its size (hence the multicolored bits, and the unpainted underside).

IMG_20200103_211849.jpg

Here's the dusty model itself.

IMG_20200103_211917.jpg

The front landing gear is long gone, and one of the rear landing gear doors is missing, so I expect to do this redone version with the landing gear retracted, though I may look in to making a new front landing gear.

IMG_20200103_211959.jpg

The rear clear thrust-er area. I will likely just try frosting this up, and putting lights behind it, to give a uniform glow, but I may get squirly and try something more interesting.

IMG_20200103_212040.jpg

Another missing part is the front control console. I'm not sure if I'll just plan to frost this up so it can't be seen through also, or if I'll put a simple dash board in there. I'd also need to get chewie and Han yanked out of their seats, and put the right-way-round, with Han on the left, if I'm going to keep it see through.

That's the plan, I'll be taking what I know, and looking into other modeling techniques, and going from there. comments/suggestions are more than welcome.

Last edited:
also, people in the past always made their cockpit cone bigger because they thought it looked too small...until somebody made the discovery that the tube that the cone is on is a little too long. easy fix.

another easy fix is to reduce the diameter of the radar dish. it further made the cockpit look too small....

Last edited:
Yea. Based on the two "references" I own, it looks like this model kit n is a little stretched, or like the two front forks are too long/stretched.

The two references I own are the YT-1300 book (no idea how accurate it's considered), and the X-Wing miniatures game Falcon, which they touted as being the first Falcon "model" or toy to be actuate to 'a' screen used version of the ship, since it was the first time the falcon made it to the screen via CGI, and the toy could be made using the actual CG models (again, I don't know if that still an accurate claim).

I just happen to own both of these, I didn't snag them to use as references for this. Just a game I've played, and a book I picked up.

IMG_20200103_232946.jpg

But based on both of them, the model I'm refurbishing has a small cockpit and long forks.

Once I see how well I can get it yanked appart, I'll have to decide how much to try and accurize it. I suspect the cockpit is within my skill range, but shortening the forks may be more than I can pull off right now.

or you can simply just repaint it and use it as a study for when you buy the pg falcon....
from what i understand, that old kit is closer in proportion to the old "5 footer" not the esb "3 footer". i have no idea which of those references are based on....

the 90's cgi falcon was based on the 3 footer i heard

also, when i saw pics of people's falcons when they had enlarged the cockpit, it seemed to me it made it look funny the opposite way....but i just kept my observations to myself and let others gush lol (i do that even more now after falling into the "criticism welcome" trap).

the original mpc issue had the washed out pic of the 5 footer on it. my rotj reissue of the same kit has the washed out pic of the 3 footer on it. just so you aware....

the longer forks never bothered me. the height of the sidewalls did though.
good luck, happy modeling, and there are many many threads here on the subject....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back