Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

I'm kind of a fan of the chopped up cockpit, but replicating it is tough. It really looks more I'm the one who made a bad model, rather than the production team. Seem to remember some thread on here about replicating poorly made or jacked up props exactly, and how it kind of doesn't work sometimes. As I was referencing the cockpit, I noticed while switch between two screencaps of the same shot (escape from mos eisley) that the jacked up cockpit corner kind of floats around during the shot, I guess as the crew physically shifts the set piece for explosions.

yours is looking good!

Thanks, Starkiller!

Hey, have you noticed that the back wall uses very different lever toggle switches than the canopy sidewalls? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? The switches in the image on the lower left lack the broad bezel nut ,and have a long thin metallic lever, rather than the stout black plastic ones seen on the canopy in the above right.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.55.02 AM.png

I'm thinking something more like this for the back wall...

7203P1YCQI.JPG

yeah I think the backwall switches are a little different, but it's hard to tell. Really wish someone had got a lot of interior close ups, sans crew, like they got for the ESB cockpit. I've been collecting reference for a long time, and new stuff I've never seen still comes out of the woodwork here and there, but it's thinned out recently. I found one image that's been giving me hope for a long time of someone working on an R2 unit, and in the background, pinned to a wall, are dozens of photos of the exterior prop, many of which I've never seen. Sooo tantalizing...

Fantastic work, Maruska! I need to start working on some interior falcon stuff... Like the holo table, that couch/lounge and many other interior details. It seems everyone is doing them in scale for the Deago and larger builds on shapeways, but I'm looking for ones I can scale to 1/72ish for the MPC build I'm doing. I've got Maya, so there's no excuse other than current models I'm working on.

Either way, your work is inspiring! Thanks for sharing. If I ever get around to doing 3D models for my falcon, I'll be sure to share them.

-Kris

A bit more tonight. I still need to pocket the switches and buttons, do some nice renderings, then I'll put it up on my GrabCAD project...

MF_Cockpit_Cone v32.png

Thanks, Starkiller!

Hey, have you noticed that the back wall uses very different lever toggle switches than the canopy sidewalls? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? The switches in the image on the lower left lack the broad bezel nut ,and have a long thin metallic lever, rather than the stout black plastic ones seen on the canopy in the above right.

View attachment 598864

I've also noticed the the "strip lighting" (for lack of a better name) on the port side didn't align between the back wall and the side wall in ANH. The longer light is lower than its mate on the rear wall. From "Empire" on they're both at the same level.

I've also noticed the the "strip lighting" (for lack of a better name) on the port side didn't align between the back wall and the side wall in ANH. The longer light is lower than its mate on the rear wall. From "Empire" on they're both at the same level.

Yeah, for sure. It was a change Lucas made right before shooting to make the cockpit feel more confined. Starkiller does a good job covering all the variations in his thread.

My model has always been an idealized reference model, as it was in pre-production, rather than the funky version in the '77 film.

Just a quick 2-day project. Not sure if I'll publish these. While I think the proportions are pretty close, the overall size was a total guess. If anyone has some actual dimensions, I'll gladly post the files...

I wonder what these will look like at 1/36 scale. Lol.

RACAL_MiniLite_Amplivox_160331_jm.25.jpg

RACAL_MiniLite_Amplivox_160331_jm.31.jpg

RACAL_MiniLite_Amplivox_160331_jm.27.jpg

RACAL_MiniLite_Amplivox_160331_jm.34.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Stormy, I've made the Racal Amplivox MiniLite model a bit more accurate. I was off on the thickness of the box by a bit and the diameter of the earpiece by a lot. I'm guessing foreshortening bit me in my photo-reference.

I quasi-parted-out this one to be more like a kit. Kinda. I'm assuming the screw heads would just be glued-in for instance as I think it was largely custom hardware. The earpiece knuckle is unresolved internally and the headband would be a tricky one to print and assemble as well - but if I have any revelations, I'll update the parts and send out a link.

Here's the GrabCAD project: https://grabcad.com/library/racal-amplivox-minilite-headset-1

And updated renders of the revised model...

RACAL_Amplivox_MiniLite_160408_jm.49.jpg

RACAL_Amplivox_MiniLite_160408_jm.50.jpg

RACAL_Amplivox_MiniLite_160408_jm.51.jpg

Cheers,
J.

This X-Wing pilot thanks you for your service on the Racal! I'll be digging into the rest of this fascinating thread and fantastic work as time allows me to savor the goodness!

I just found this thread. I have been looking around and this seems to be the closest I've come to finding an answer so far. I am really interested in making a 1/18 scale Falcon for the 3¾" figures.
The 5" studio model is close from what I can gather. There are a few people working on scratch built ones that are truly amazing and I would do the same myself except my plan has been to do a screen accurate scale Echo Base dio using the newer Hasbro toys repainted and detailed etc... got most of the ships and figures. (Falcon, 6-7 X-wings, 7-8 snow speeders, etc...) and scratch building a new Falcon would probably scrap that project for another 10 years ha ha.
After thinking it over it seems a 3D printed version would get the idea much further along.
Then of course there is the possibility of doing a crazy project with it and do a full interior including hull framing and everything ...that you could take apart and see the subframe... hiding the wiring as actual "Falcon" wiring etc... ...the possibilities are endless.
Was wondering how many people out there have thought the same thing and if the database for the 3D Falcon was anywhere close to complete enough for something like that.
You guys are doing amazing stuff.
Forgive me if this has been discussed or answered elsewhere... I've been looking around for awhile and what I've read here comes closest and figured you guys here would be the people to ask.

I just found this thread. I have been looking around and this seems to be the closest I've come to finding an answer so far. I am really interested in making a 1/18 scale Falcon for the 3¾" figures.
The 5" studio model is close from what I can gather. There are a few people working on scratch built ones that are truly amazing and I would do the same myself except my plan has been to do a screen accurate scale Echo Base dio using the newer Hasbro toys repainted and detailed etc... got most of the ships and figures. (Falcon, 6-7 X-wings, 7-8 snow speeders, etc...) and scratch building a new Falcon would probably scrap that project for another 10 years ha ha.
After thinking it over it seems a 3D printed version would get the idea much further along.
Then of course there is the possibility of doing a crazy project with it and do a full interior including hull framing and everything ...that you could take apart and see the subframe... hiding the wiring as actual "Falcon" wiring etc... ...the possibilities are endless.
Was wondering how many people out there have thought the same thing and if the database for the 3D Falcon was anywhere close to complete enough for something like that.
You guys are doing amazing stuff.
Forgive me if this has been discussed or answered elsewhere... I've been looking around for awhile and what I've read here comes closest and figured you guys here would be the people to ask.

Hey Flatblack, thanks for posting!

My current explorations trying to cram the live action set into the 5' falcon yield a cockpit model that is 1/17.3 scale - or more specifically 6/104ths where the 5' Falcon cockpit is 6" in diameter and the Full-scale set fit inside a 104" tube. I'd have to see how well the 3.75" figures fit into that cockpit, but I suspect they actually wouldn't fit very well. It was cramped in real life and more so if under-scaled. Maybe with some subtle sculpting on the figures, you could make them fit - heads and torsos at least.

3D printing the whole Falcon, while possible will be challenging, which is why I'm primarily replicating donor kit parts at the moment, and will move onto the larger forms later - but probably using a combinations of casting and machining.

There have been a few projects that have explored the interior, but it is very hard to reconcile the live action set and the studio scale model. They just don't line-up nicely. Check-out Steve Starkiller's work - he has done an amazing job.

Cheers,
J.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back