Millennium Falcon Greebils

TridCloudwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone know where I can get resin copies of Falcon details for my MPC/ERTL kit? I'm not talking about Falcon Kits' accurizing set(s), I want copies of say those transmission parts, etc, but scaled down to MPC size. I had heard rumor that someone had cast some up for the side wall areas, and was selling them for a fair price.

Equally, I was thinking of casting up my accurized ship sections that no one else produces (ie the rear hull/exhaust area, resized cockpit tube and docking port hallway walls (aka escape tunnels) for hull curvature correction, etc.). Would there be any interest in these pieces? No guarantee I'm going to definitely do it, but if enough show interest, I may put the idea into action.

I'd be interested in those pieces. I also am working on a redone engine panel that should look a bit better then the MPC one. currently I'm using the falcon kits side walls though so I don't think I can help you there.

Jedi Dade

interesting 'rumor' like to hear more about it. The Falcon Kits upgrade parts are all that I've been aware of, for a couple years. Never seem to be available when I've had the cash to blow, and always seemed too expensive.
Love to see an alternative.

The Falconkits parts are expensive, true, and strictly speaking, not entirely accurate to any version, but they really do make the kit look far superior to it's unaltered state, and really make for a nice representation of the Falcon.

Very very nice, and money well spent, if you can grab a set.

True the Falcon Kits parts are not accurate. They look closest to the 5 footer panels but really aren't that close when you look at the reference pics. They do make an extremely nice model though. The landing gear and gear box kits are absolutley worth it. The PE baffles and the aluminum tube gearing looks awesome. I think that the side panels are worth it in my opinion, if you're just trying to make a really good looking model. You could always scratch build your own side panels copying reference pics
icon_wink.gif
but that is a good deal of work... but you could most likely cast them and recoup the effort
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

You have a set of Falcon kits side panels or a set that you scratch built yourself following your reference pics a a guide? Tell me you built your own
icon_smile.gif
Please tell me
icon_smile.gif

Jedi Dade

I know about falcon kits, and have a set of their stuff. Its very nice, but not all that "accurate". It looks 10,000 times better the the ERTL/MPC stuff, and makes a really nice model but I was hoping that Brundelfly was talking about an accurate set that he had made up. If he did I'm definitely interested in "making an offer"
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>(TridCloudwalker @ May 11 2003, 03:35 AM) [snapback]537144[/snapback]</div>
I had heard rumor that someone had cast some up for the side wall areas, and was selling them for a fair price.

Equally, I was thinking of casting up my accurized ship sections that no one else produces (ie the rear hull/exhaust area, resized cockpit tube and docking port hallway walls (aka escape tunnels) for hull curvature correction, etc.). Would there be any interest in these pieces? No guarantee I'm going to definitely do it, but if enough show interest, I may put the idea into action.
[/b]

I don't know if anything became of this, but I thought I'd bump this thread and the other (from JediDade in fact), http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=52465, to see if anyone was still trying to keep this alive.

I'm interested in doing my ERTL Falcon up after having purchased the FM Falcon. I'm in the small population that like the ANH Falcon best of all iterations -sans the boxey forward landing gear wells.

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>(MB1K @ Nov 6 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]1351696[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(TridCloudwalker @ May 11 2003, 03:35 AM) [snapback]537144[/snapback]
I had heard rumor that someone had cast some up for the side wall areas, and was selling them for a fair price.

[/b]

I don't know if anything became of this, but I thought I'd bump this thread and the other (from JediDade in fact), http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=52465, to see if anyone was still trying to keep this alive.

I'm interested in doing my ERTL Falcon up after having purchased the FM Falcon. I'm in the small population that like the ANH Falcon best of all iterations -sans the boxey forward landing gear wells.

Joe
[/b][/quote]

The upgrade kit for the ERTL falcon died a while back. I scratched a bunch of things together and it came out decent but for some reason it never really got going past the estimates for doing a run of 50 kits... I think because the kit was of the ESB details and the FM kit came out I didn't really see the point of putting out that kind of cash to create the upgrade kit that would've wound up being sold somewhere int he neighborhood of $100 in order to get the money back with a modest profit (very modest). The FM and ERTL kits are close the the same size and the FM is way better then my upgraded ERTL in that regard... so I let it drop.

Sorry...

Jedi Dade

No problem. Just doing my research on what's out there and came across the thread. I'll just be spending alot of time sculpting manifold covers for the thrust vanes and getting comfortable with styrene rod of all diameters. I just got to figure out how I'm goings to do wheels and tank parts for all those greeblies on the aft dorsal deck.

I've got Falcon Kits side panels to help me save time in that area. How'd you approach the details on the aft deck?

WEll if you're hell bent on doign it here's a couple of suggestions. Tank and batleship kits the smaller teh better... 1/144 scale tanks specifically the pather for the rear engine deck will go a LONG way toward fixing the engine deck. Drop them in rubber and cast a bunch then hack them up and glue them on. don't fprget to sand about 90% if the detail that's there completly off...

What I tried to do was find out what was used on the "real" studio scale model then scale down to the ERTL scale. Basically whatever was on the 5 footer take the scale of it and go to 1/4 of that. for example the 1/35 panther was used on the engine deck so a 1/140th panther should be about right for the ERTL - Dragon makes a 1/144 panther that after hacking up looks just about right ;)

1/144 panther - engine deck and forward landing gear
1/72 Matilda - "saucer" side walls base.

those should take you a good way to looking decent... the rest is a lot of scratching... unles you're REALLY lucky to find subjects that match with enough detail at 1/4th the scale used on the original...

Jedi Dade

Thanks Jedi D. That's pretty much what I figured and I thank you for saving me the math to do the conversin scale work.

The rear deck is coming off completely, slicing the ol'girl right out of the ERTL hull and replacing with smooth styrene to build up the deck and details. I'm just brainstorming right now how to cast all the "vane" pieces after completing a master. There are 26 of them total plus the dual ME-109 struts (X26). The rest of the detail I was going to source one at a time or build up with Sculpy or Aves. But when I have a piece that's going to require. I just don't know how to get away with not building at least 8 of the vanes (look like engine manifold kit parts from some car/truck/etc) to make the casting for the rest efficient. No way am I building all 26, or building one and casting it one at a time. But the latter seems like the best solution so far.

Thanks for the in brief.

That's what I did for mine taking the entire wedge out. But after doing it that way I'm not sure I'd do it that way again. I think that I'd grind off the detail I didn't like then sand the remaining portions smooth. keeping the wedge on the model and detailing it there. The payoff I was hoping to get by removing the wedge and replacing it wan't as great as I though it would be although it does work and you will get a nice result. I removed it case it then removed all deatil - redetailed in and cast it again. Then added more piping to complete it. It came out pretty good. but I wouldn't do it that way again. I did it that way becaus eit was my original intention to have the entire wedge be part of the upgrade kit. in that perspective it made sense but if you're doing a one of it sprobably not worth the extra effort.

I think that the upright triangular "vanes" you are talking about are generally considered to have been scratch built adding a couple of greeblies to the existing vanes might be a better...

Good luck with it.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back