Millennium Falcon Alternative Early Concept Version

Hey folks,...I was thinking
If I could kit this model....(which I can’t)....

This would be the box art,...ha!!

92F131D5-A6B1-4756-8251-4917672A93A0.jpeg

John

Thanks guys...some progress on the underside painting....no photos yet, but it’s appeared on the Modelermagic site

Thanks for looking
John

I feel stupid for only realizing this now, but it's interesting how close this early design came to what Dave Filoni later used as The Ghost in SW Rebels. I hadn't read anything that they specifically went back to Johnston's early design for inspiration, but seeing how much they've borrowed from concept art in other areas it certainly seems possible.
Screenshot_2020-07-19 Ghost.jpg

Now you just need a model of yourself sitting in the cockpit. The paint job looks so good, it definitely needs to be used in some Star Wars property somewhere

Last edited:

Thank you StevenBills

I feel stupid for only realizing this now, but it's interesting how close this early design came to what Dave Filoni later used as The Ghost in SW Rebels. I hadn't read anything that they specifically went back to Johnston's early design for inspiration, but seeing how much they've borrowed from concept art in other areas it certainly seems possible.

I always connected the Ghost to the Alien Narcissus, but now that you mention about the concept Falcon, I really see what you mean

Now you just need a model of yourself sitting in the cockpit. The paint job looks so good, it definitely needs to be used in some Star Wars property somewhere

Wow, thank you colinjreed,...still the underside to do

John

I'm so late to the party on this build. I just finished reading the whole thread. Thank you for sharing about foamex. I need to try using it. I am blown away how clean and perfect your panels are on your plating! This model is a perfect marriage of scratch building techniques, found parts, kit bashing, and 3d printing! It's a one of a kind piece of art John! You should be proud.

Thank you Kokkari, I’m sure you know I’m a really big fan of your work, but this build just came to my brain & somehow it developed,...such a pleasure to build with no hiccups,...every problem had a painless solution, I really want to attempt something personal like this again
Thank you for your comment

John

There is an architectural modeler (and so much more) that has a fantastic site full of resources called David Neat that has a whole slew of interesting techniques and materials explained and demoed. PVC foam is one of them. Spanish Plastcraft games makes gaming terrain pieces in PVC foam. Quite useful as it holds such a high resolution compared to extruded polystyrene if you wish to "sculpt" it. You can put it in a CNC mill and get high res detail, you can heat form it and even vacuform it. Like Jaitea says in the video - it's very easy to work with.

It's commonly used for printing big photos on as you can have a photopaper substrate on it and it's quite light weight.
Just catching up with this (I need a more time...).
David Neat's site is amazing! Thanks for pointing it out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back