MILLENNIUM FALCON 5' REPLICA

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys. So not sure if this is the right sub forum to post this thread...I am intending to build a faithful replica of the ANH 5 foot Falcon but I aim to 3d print as much as possible and model the numerous greeblies as required. Probably very little kitbashing for me
Obviously it doesn't get better than this...the original 5' Falcon is the Holy Grail amongst serious SS builders and I will attempt to do it justice
I should say that this build is inspired by the AMAZING work done here by builders such as VFXSub64, Maruska, Tsides2, vacformedhero and others, as well as the Falcon A thread and the MFnotes website. I will drawing heavily from these threads (with their kind permission) to achieve a replica of similar quality
The first task is to print an accurate shell from the wonderful CAD model produced by Andre and Joshua. I will then insert aluminium scaffold poles thru the centre and across the docking rings as armature and fill the shell with PU foam. This will hopefully give me an accurate and structurally sound model on which to apply all the plating and resin greeblies

There seems to be a lot of material in many threads about the numerous greeblies/decals used on the original and some debate about the availability of a list of definitive parts used. This may well come to pass but for now I intend to work my way across the ship identifying as many kit parts as possible, locating any available ref pix and modelling them. There are already a few 3d models around that I have but any help in this matter would be appreciated!

Why do you say that D:

Heck im doing the perfect grade.... thats serious enough for me :p I dont think im currently up for putting in the time to make a full studio sized replica...

OK got a few bits to start off. Focusing on the smaller 'bite size' areas before tackling the mandibles and upper deck

I will be using a combination of FDM and resin printers to generate all the parts. For some of the tiny greeblies I have printed them as one part to simplify matters and cut down the amount of fiddly stuff to do

zpe4MICm.jpg
YM5W6UPm.jpg

wA2acl0m.jpg
pAYw9v7m.jpg

Oh man, I am so jealous. That is coming along really nicely. I can't wait to see the other half printed and see this beast come to life.

This must be what it feels like when other people meet celebrities,.....nah,...no way that could feel this good.

Very ambitious of you to print the hull out on a 3D printer, but it looks like that is going very well. Are you planning on sanding the hull to get rid of the layer lines before the plating on or are you going to put a thin sheet of styrene over the entire hull?

TazMan2000

yeah the entire shell will be re-faced with a coupla coats of sprayable filler and then sanded smooth before the plating goes on. Does anyone know if there is a preferred thickness of Styrene to use for the plating...I was thinking 1mm?

Can I ask what is IIRC ?

Thanks
IIRC means "If I Remember Correctly".
Acronyms are always confusing. I try not to use them without first stating what they mean because they mean different things in different circles.

My favorite miscommunication was when a guy from sales was talking about needing a POS for the store.
In his world it stood for Point of Sale (where you buy stuff), but in my world
it was a derogatory term for something that didn't work (a Piece of S#!t).

I couldn't understand why he wanted one of those!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back