Millenium Falcon Tools - ESB

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This picture cropped up on facebook - a color shot of the Falcon tools! They look like found objects, anyone recognize them?

FalconTools.jpg

Great photo! The one sitting outside the tray has a part similar to the top of the yoke. The black one reminds me of an automobiles master cylinder.

I always thought Leia's tool looked cool, though it doesn't match the parts in the bin, and it has a coil cord!
e8c1c5a7e07257b4e91eb0a28372061d.jpg

I am trying to identify Leias and/ or Hans "welder" for years, but the only thing positively identified is part of it being a Kobold flash

Seriously, what part? thats pretty sick, one more thing for camera enthusiasts to hate us for

Lonepigeon and I had a crack at some of these a few years ago and, for this one, found the most likely make for the green/red end Go/NoGo Gauge - YPG (Yorkshire Precision Group). There's two sizes used in the filming, a small to mid-size type for the close-up shot of Han repairing the top of the Falcon and a larger size for when he chats to Luke. You will have to do some photo comparing to get the right size as mine are in storage.

MOD-RAF-Go-NoGo-YPG-GAUGEpic2.JPG

I've posted this pic as the set was used by the RAF and it shows the possible size difference of the mid sized gauge.

In the end of the larger gauge is an exhaust valve, this one from a Volvo Penta engine.

248714.jpg

The Hydrospanner is a made up and cast copy for filming, you can see a cast line all the way along it, cos it would really hurt if it landed on ya head. The main body/shaft is made up of two YPG Go/NoGo Thread Gauges. This prop is still a hunt in progress but there are some hints as to what the tubular mid-section could be. So far (though I'm not 100% on this one) it could be a reworked, chopped and changed around WWII cockpit lamp - it's cast first and then rearranged with cast copies of the gauge jammed in the ends. The large circular part in the middle is probably a pulley, which leaves just a tube and an end cap to fit over the rear gauge to make a handle.

The hint is found in Chewie's tool kit.

10649669.jpg

1477582.jpg

HydSpa1 009b.png

Still a lot of guess work from a few years back here and that's as far as I got but it's a start.

Last edited:
But, as Sofa rightly says, the tube in the middle section of the Hydrospanner with the U shape cut-away is a similar part to the greeblie on top of the Falcon yoke - which means that the only similarity for the spanner is the lamp's size and so it may not be the right thing. This one has been a proper head scratcher lol.

Leave it to the original prop geniuses to brilliantly use real world objects and disguise them as pure awesomeness! :)

Okay I have a few questions

Those Gauges - does anyone know what they look like inside the tips? How do the exhaust valves stick in there? I'm assuming those red and green things are nuts that thread onto a bolt...

Also, are all volvo exhaust valves the same size? I was thinking of getting a cheaper one and doing a quick off prop!

Okay I have a few questions

Those Gauges - does anyone know what they look like inside the tips? How do the exhaust valves stick in there? I'm assuming those red and green things are nuts that thread onto a bolt...

Also, are all volvo exhaust valves the same size? I was thinking of getting a cheaper one and doing a quick off prop!

the valves all being the same is a long shot. if you could find out what head they came from then maybe. my guess who be what ever volvo panels they used for HIC, they might have grabbed the valves out of that engine. if that volvo only came with 1 engine size then most likely all the valves are the same. but if they came with more then 1 engine option... its going to be a tuffy.

i would try a diesel engine valve first, being over seas diesels are far more popular then gas jobs

- - - Updated - - -

tom as far as attaching the valve to the tool, i wouldn't be surprised if this silver shaft the colors cubes sit on is hollow. if not, i would find a matching outside diameter hollow rod and swap it over

the valves all being the same is a long shot. if you could find out what head they came from then maybe. my guess who be what ever volvo panels they used for HIC, they might have grabbed the valves out of that engine. if that volvo only came with 1 engine size then most likely all the valves are the same. but if they came with more then 1 engine option... its going to be a tuffy.

i would try a diesel engine valve first, being over seas diesels are far more popular then gas jobs

- - - Updated - - -

tom as far as attaching the valve to the tool, i wouldn't be surprised if this silver shaft the colors cubes sit on is hollow. if not, i would find a matching outside diameter hollow rod and swap it over

YES this is the dialogue i was looking for :)

They've said it's from a Penta engine - which I'm pretty sure is marine craft¿

- - - Updated - - -

YES this is the dialogue i was looking for :)

They've said it's from a Penta engine - which I'm pretty sure is marine craft¿

also, those Blue things (first post) does anyone recognize those? They look like they're on half the tools in the box, including that socket wrench hammer thing

tom i can't say i have any idea what the black things are with the blue tips. but the wrench with the blue tips out the side... that is screaming AN fitting wrench to me

this is what they look like today

wrench%20new.jpg

there are all kinds of fittings
F141946348.jpg

they were used on most aircraft fuel and hydraulic lines. i dont know why but the sizes aren't the same as standard wrenches, and require the AN wrench. when i look at that wrench in the box it screams AN fittings to me...

but who really knows, these parts were all cobbled together and cast in resin, it could be anything really...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back