Mighty Joe Young Reborn

A brief update: Last March I was lucky enough to visit Ray Harryhausen at his home in London and surprise him with Mighty Joe Young armature #1. It was the culmination of a life long dream to do so. Ray and Tony Dalton have included the armature in their new book "Ray Harryhausen's Film Fantasy Scraobook" and armature #2 is being offered at auction by Christie's of London on November 23. Ray finally has his own Joe!

Mighty Joe Young (1949) | Popular Culture & Entertainment Auction</li> | props, Memorabilia | Christie's

Oh wow, that's so cool! Ray is a master and a legend, and you did a great job on the Joe armature :thumbsup

I spent a couple of hours at his home so we talked about many things, but he did say that the armature moved beautifully and that it would be a shame to cover it up. Ray is still very active with his art work so you never know.....next time I visit him the armature may have a foam a fur exterior!

This was a great read. I've always been a fan of Joe and Ray's work, so it's nice to see that Ray is still alive and kicking.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the RPF, but not stop motion. Been a fan most of my life (especially of O'Brien and Harryhausen) and started in the business as an animator. I'm sorry I missed out on this incredible piece of art, but I did have a dream come true today. Got to handle the original Kong and Joe armatures at a signing today in Burbank at Dark Delicacies. Bob Burns was there, looking pretty healthy, and happy to show off the stars of the show. Didn't really know where to post this, but I figured anyone still checking this thread would appreciate it.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the RPF, but not stop motion. Been a fan most of my life (especially of O'Brien and Harryhausen) and started in the business as an animator. I'm sorry I missed out on this incredible piece of art, but I did have a dream come true today. Got to handle the original Kong and Joe armatures at a signing today in Burbank at Dark Delicacies. Bob Burns was there, looking pretty healthy, and happy to show off the stars of the show. Didn't really know where to post this, but I figured anyone still checking this thread would appreciate it.

I've known Bob for many years. I'm glad to hear he's healthy again. He was a guest at our Imagine-Nation Expo in Las Vegas several years ago. He brought the Kong armature and I took it home overnight during the show for safe keeping. It was cool to see Kong sitting on my dining room table in imiddle of the night. Bob's Joe armature was the basis for the replicas that I built. The blueprints were drafted many years ago by ILM stop-motion master Tom St. Amand. It's amazing how complex and well designed these armatures are. If you're still interested in one hit me up....I do have parts for a couple more.

I see your a steadicam op.....I'm a freelance television DP in Las Vegas. We might know a few of the same people.

Wow! I wouldn't sleep much with Kong sitting on my dining room table. That's extremely cool. Bob mentioned that someone from ILM (he thought it was Jon Berg, but it makes sense that it was Tom St. Amand) had blueprinted the MJY armature because they were interested in duplicating the design of the hips for the Taun Taun.

Regarding your armature, I'll PM you.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back