Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

• It was disappointing.

• It was bad.

• Total voters
I have absolutely no problem with CGI in modern WW2 movies. No more using T-6 Texans as a Zero or other Japanese planes. I also wouldn't call everything video game like because if you've read about WW2 era pilots, they pulled off some really crazy things. Some of them just in training even. I also have to say that Mandy Moore just keeps getting better looking as she gets older! :love:

The modern action movie aesthetic, from the video-game like camera tracking through the cg overload battle scenes, to the heavy color filters and liberal use of green screen with this source material just feels all wrong.
Considering that we don't exactly have a lot of classic warbirds still flying and even fewer warships from the time there's not a lot of options out there. Sure, they could use physical miniatures but that would also involve shooting them against blue/green screens and comping them in in post. Shooting them live and in camera is tricky to get right and often looks like something out of an old Godzilla movie.

Personally, I see it as a good thing and, to me, it means that the director and producers are willing to go that extra mile for greater realism. Unlike a certain WWII movie set around the same period that was directed by a certain well known action movie director who used present day warships in his big battle scene.

I'm fine with CG and green screen for a WWII epic.
More than fine, actually - I've been waiting for the day the technology existed to do those arial battles justice.

I hope they get the colors right. I've read accounts of navy pilots in those battles and they always make note of all the colors in the sky - because each ship in a group had different colored flak, so they could identify their flak from another ship's for adjusting their fire.
The pilots talk about weaving in and out of green bursts, blue bursts, orange bursts, yellow bursts... I don't think that's anything we've ever seen on the big screen before, and I want to see it. It just sounds surreal.

Yeager and a buddy dropped their P-51 Tanks somewhere in England, then did strafing runs trying to get them to ignite. They weren't successful. The Battle of Britain was a box office flop at the time. If this does well, maybe they can give it another spin, I'd dig it. Never have so many owed so much to so few.

Last edited:
Yeager and a buddy dropped their P-51 Tanks somewhere in England, then did strafing runs trying to get them to ignite. They weren't successful. The Battle of Britain was a box office flop at the time. If this does well, maybe they can give it another spin, I'd dig it. Never have so many owed so much to so few.

From Bud Anderson's (Chuck's friend and flight leader) book:

We hit the Dutch coast, took a right and flew south, 500 across France into Switzerland. Chuck was the guide. And I was the tourist.
We dropped our tanks on Mount Blanc and strafed them, trying to set them afire (it seemed like a good idea at the time), then found Lake Annecy, and the lakeshore hotel where Yeager and DePaolo had met. We buzzed the hotel, fast enough and low enough to tug at the shingles, and then we zoomed over the water, right on the deck, our props throwing up mist.

We'd just shot up a mountain in a neutral country, buzzed half of Europe, and probably could have been court-martialed on any one of a half-dozen charges. It didn't matter We were aglow. It was over, we had survived, we were finished, and now we would go home together.

When we landed at Leiston, my crew chief jumped on my wing, "Group got more than 50 today. Must've been something. How many did you get?"

"None," I confessed in a small, strangled voice. I felt sick.

I remember reading him and Bud Anderson flying into some lakes up in the mountains there to fish. I don't know why we haven't seen a Chuck Yeager biography movie yet. The Right Stuff parts were cool, but a movie just about him would be cool.

I hope and want it to be good. But I also hoped and wanted Redtails and Pearl Harbor to be good too. Those were horrible movies but the trailers for them looked OK. I just don't like stupid corny movies like Redtails or Pearl Harbor. The original Midway movie is awesome.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back