Micro drill-bit Question

Atlanthia

Sr Member
Hey, Guys!
I saw and purchased a set of micro drill-bits the other day, for drilling ittybitty holes for optic fibres etc, but now that I come to use them, I find that they are way too small, even for my smallest dremel chuck to grab. Would anyone be kind enough to help me out with regards to where in the U.K. I can buy the piece that adapts my dremel to take these little urchins? Or, is there a trick/home made piece that I could manufacture easily? I tried wrapping tape around the bottom of the drill-bit to take up the slack, and that worked for a few minutes until the tape glue warmed up, softened and lost its grip....
Many thanks in advance,
Darren

Hey, Guys!
I saw and purchased a set of micro drill-bits the other day, for drilling ittybitty holes for optic fibres etc, but now that I come to use them, I find that they are way too small, even for my smallest dremel chuck to grab. Would anyone be kind enough to help me out with regards to where in the U.K. I can buy the piece that adapts my dremel to take these little urchins? Or, is there a trick/home made piece that I could manufacture easily? I tried wrapping tape around the bottom of the drill-bit to take up the slack, and that worked for a few minutes until the tape glue warmed up, softened and lost its grip....
Many thanks in advance,
Darren

I believe you only use these tiny drill-bits in a device called a "pin vice", and you drill by hand as any torque on these drill bits will snap them in a second. Here's the kind of thing you are looking for, I found some at a local hardware store.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...dex=aps&hvadid=20949588&ref=pd_sl_hsooof4fd_e

Thanks for that, guys, I have one of those flexible attachments for the Dremel but it gets massively hot after a few seconds of use so I don't use it anymore.

I use my mini bits in a regular drill that has a high and low speed setting. The drill chuck on mine has no problems grabbing and holding the bits, and with it set on "slow", there isn't much of a chance they break but there's enough power yet to punch through most materials.

So far I've managed to only break one bit.

A Pin vice is a good one for thin plastic, in a pinch you could probably also mount it into the hand of an x-acto knife and use it as a pin vice.

A Pin vice is a good one for thin plastic, in a pinch you could probably also mount it into the hand of an x-acto knife and use it as a pin vice.

Hot dang! I read this and had to try it....Man, you are a genius! It even holds needles for scoring. A couple of months ago I had to buy that Dremel collet set just to get the pin vise. But this would have sufficed for the job.

I have been using an exacto handle for fibers on my AMT Star Destroyer and Fine Molds Falcon. It works great for the #80 bit I am using. I originally tried it out because the pin vise I have won't tighten enough to hold a bit that small. You just have to be careful to get it as centered as possible slots or you have a lot of wobble and subsequent snapping of bits.

Sure it is more tedious than a powered drill, but you'll save a lot on bits sicne you won't break as many

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back