MGC C96 grips

Pedro

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can we talk about Mauser grips? Everyone knows that the Denix C96 grips are too large and at generally not quite right. They’re a dead giveaway, the eyesore on most every DL-44 replica out there! But what I’ve not heard discussed are the MGC C96 grips. They look good, mostly because of the more circular profile and fine lines. But while planning to cut down some Denix grips today I thought to look to my MGCs, and found something that surprised me.

The MGCs are just as big as the Denix, and in fact match the outline almost perfectly. If one were to cut down the back a bit they’d fit right on the Denix without visible modification. I’m starting to think the Denix may have been modeled on an MGC?

FF36E9E9-850C-46D1-90AF-40D58C75BD82.jpeg

Here’s a photo of some “real” Mauser grips on an MGC. Tiny! I have a LOT of grips, some original with stamped serial number, I’ve turned into a bit of a hoarder. All of them are essentially the same size/shape as these repros, so I believe them to be “correct”, though I don’t have a real gun to compare them to.

Would anyone who has a real C96 care to weigh on on this? Have you compared the MGC to the real weapon?

I didn’t realize that the MGC was so oversized! Has anyone here compared a real C96 to a Lytle cast aluminum Mauser? I found it to be nearly 10% smaller than the Denix, but perhaps that’s not much smaller than the real gun?

Very interesting! Ive had lots of these problems - even found a paor of repro grips that were very bolo- like while still having a round bottom.

If you know any good links to original grips id be interested. I have a pair but the screw hole is deteriorated

Sorry, I don't have any specific links for you. I've found mine on Gunbroker and eBay through diligent searching. One GB seller had like 10 sets, I bought a bunch. ;) I'm also making a pair, which started before I could find any. I got these on GB, they started as blank (no lines) and had a flattened/squared off shape. I reshaped them and am am cutting the lines with a checkering tool. Not too hard after some practice, but I got half way done and got distracted, as usual...
Mauser-grips_inprogjpg.jpg

Ya when I first got an MGC years ago what surprised me the most was just how much it and a denix lined to one another. They are actually pretty much equal I learned when designing my Heat Sink Grilles and display stands. The bottom lip on the front for the denix has a different radius than that of an MGC. But thats about it really. All things considering the Denix grips are really nice with a few mods. First they already line up with the denix at no extra charge. You can pick you grips from others for anywhere between 50-100 bucks but those still need to be modified anyway. All you really need for the denix is the escutcheon screw which you can get from MidwayUSA for less than $5. And if its a MGC Star Wars blaster you are going for as you pointed out they are already pretty much on point. I would do one more mod to these grips pictured for a c96 build and sand down the top as well to get rid of that prodominate line but otherwise they do the trick I think..
IMG_5785.jpeg

Last edited:
There's something about the Denix grips that bugs me after studying the damn guns for far too long. They're too...squished, flat, almost deflated looking. Clearly I spend too much time drooling over blasters... ;)

For me, the round "bulb" on MGC and Real grips is what makes them comfortable to hold. It sounds petty typing it like this, but the flat Denix grips do actually stress my hand because I have to use more finger and palm strength to support the sides of the gun

Ya I hear both of you but I just can’t justify 50/100 price range when the denix alone can be had for $80 with wood grips is all. Also the grips you can buy to upgrade you still need to modify to make them “accurate” as well. The attention to detail is lacking is all. These blasters sit on display 90% of the time after you get “playing” with them out of ur system. But there is a more fuller fit in your hand so I do understand where you both coming from. Its just not that big of a difference all things considering.. but of course everyone will feel it differently. Here is the visual difference between the denix and MGC..
ECFD3834-F6ED-4ED2-834E-F331BDEFC823.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man, I forgot, Vince from Corellian Exports was able to mold MGC grips! They were on ebay for a while, they're really good, front and back believe it or not, I found a few in a drawer.. I must have bought a few when he brought them out

If I was the machine, making 57 DL44s like you I’d definitely consider getting used to the Denix grips!

I joined JUST to say this.
You guy know that there are 2 different modles of the C96 Mauser (Broomhandle)?
The regular and the BOLO. The Bolo is a smaller version. The grips on the Bolo are smaller. And besides the smaller barrel, those are the differences.

BISHOP(42)

I joined JUST to say this.
You guy know that there are 2 different modles of the C96 Mauser (Broomhandle)?
The regular and the BOLO. The Bolo is a smaller version. The grips on the Bolo are smaller. And besides the smaller barrel, those are the differences.

BISHOP(42)
Bolo grips are not just smaller.... they are a different shape. The frame of the bolo is not the same as a standard C96.

I bought (actual gun) a frame, upper, and trigger pack. Everything works, the upper fits to the lower just fine. Its the normal larger barrel, but I think I have a bolo lower. The grips I bought are nowhere near fitting, WAY too large.

BISHOP(42)

The bolo is pretty obvious, the grips are more like rounded and tapered trapezoids than the circular bottom.

I’ll add an interesting observation about size of the Denix. I recently cut 1/8” off the entire lower frame of a Denix to remove the entire floor plate (long story). I have a floor plate from a real C96, the plan was to use the real plate instead of scribing the detail. After carefully cutting out the T shaped opening, it slid right into place, a perfect fit. So the profile of the bottom of the Denix is near perfect. Unfortunately I didn’t get any photos of this before I managed to melt it trying to do some work on it with a torch (longer story).

The point being, it was a really cool mod and proves the proportion of the Denix. It was less work than I imaged, totally doable with hand tools. Ugh and yay! :D

so this means the thickness of the magazine area is pretty darned close! Very interesting, I've always wondered about their mold. MUCH of the side is different but they "feel" similar in thickness and size

Indeed! I wish I had pictures!! What I did was lay it on its side and used a straight bit in a router table to shave off the bottom of the frame about .5mm at a time until I could no longer see the scribed edge of the floor plate. My real one measures at exactly 1.2” (3.05mm) thick. To cut the T opening I sawed close to the vertical edges (carefully!), then filed out the T with needle files. I had a PERFECT fit dangit!!! :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back